PDA

View Full Version : Didn't the original Trygon have four limbs?

gloriousbattle
10-07-2010, 16:18
Just curious about this. I seem to remember, years ago, when they came out with their big *******' bio-titans, that the Trygon had a long, snaky tail and four slashy-thingies. Anybody else remember? Any photos of those early Trygons? Again IIRC, came from a WD article that just had instructions for how to sculpt them out of wire and green stuff; no model kit existed at the time (in 40K scale that it, Epic is another matter).

gloriousbattle
10-07-2010, 16:19
Whoops, I guess I got caught by the nasty word filter. Sorry. I didn't think that what I wrote counted as a nasty word.

TheShadowCow
10-07-2010, 16:45
Can't seem to find a decent picture of the old Epic model on Google, but you're right it may well have only had four "obvious" limbs. Remember this was from a time before the 3rd Edition "Tyranid common characteristics" drive (six limbs for all, five plates on the head, etc etc) and the Trygon was part of the range of Tyranid "slug monsters" (Haruspex, Malefactor, Exocrine, Dactylis).

http://www.epicast.com/lostbanned/mbiasitrygon.jpg

There's an image of a sculpted one there, and it definitely has six limbs. The additional ones may well have been added on by the sculptor for consistency though.

Zothos
10-07-2010, 17:08
the Epic version i believe had only 4 claws.

gloriousbattle
10-07-2010, 19:55
That's my recollection. Good to see I'm not going crazy. Thanks guys.

AndrewGPaul
11-07-2010, 19:56
Nope, I've just checked one I've got in a box; the original Epic miniature is identical (except for size) to the big resin one TheShadowCow posted a link to. The only Tyranids to lack 6 limbs were the 'tank equivalents'; the Haruspex, Dactylis, Exocrine and Haruspex (and some of the squigs, of course).

gloriousbattle
11-07-2010, 20:40
Huh. Coulda' sworn.

TheShadowCow
11-07-2010, 21:02
Nope, I've just checked one I've got in a box; the original Epic miniature is identical (except for size) to the big resin one TheShadowCow posted a link to. The only Tyranids to lack 6 limbs were the 'tank equivalents'; the Haruspex, Dactylis, Exocrine and Haruspex (and some of the squigs, of course).

Even then, you can easily argue that the remaining limbs are just "hidden" and have been fused into the slug-body or weapons somewhere. At the time, it wasn't an issue as the Tyranid "race" hadn't been streamlined to the extent it is today.

Zothos
11-07-2010, 23:10
hmm....must be the other 2 claws were hidden behind the 4 that are easily seen.
My bad.

AndrewGPaul
12-07-2010, 07:58
Yes, the third pair are held tight against the body. You can see them on TheShadowCow's link.