PDA

View Full Version : pariah vs. untouchable

Purplepride
10-07-2010, 16:29
This might be a stupid question, but I'm unsure what (if any) difference there is between pariahs and untouchables.

I know that the pariah-gene supposedly is created by the c'tan, and that untouchables are that way due to mutation.

But aren't the abilities of pariahs and untouchables, the same?

Iuris
10-07-2010, 17:00
Details are not available and the few sources that we have occasionally conflict.

Possibly, it's the same ability, with varying levels of performance (like, the Cullexus asassins are max. power while the weaker pariahs might be just forced to deal with general dislike for all their life and never know they're blanks).

Possibly, the abilities are different. Someone once provided a chart, but then, I remember that in a story about how necrons only took one child, that child was just described as "unlucky child", not the terror inspiring abomination. So, personally, I think it's a matter of one ability, different power.

It is implied the C'tan were to blame, however, we have just implications. Like how the C'tan had sown a terrible seed and await harvest and so on. Definitely, the blanks are an exception to most of humanity - humanity as a whole is still moving to becoming all psychic...

Spare Change
10-07-2010, 19:17
It's entirely possible that I'm wrong, so feel free to correct me -- but weren't the Pariahs a new creation by the C'tan, using human untouchables/blanks?

Lord Damocles
10-07-2010, 19:54
'This extremely rare defect [Pariah gene] occurs for no known reason in less than one in a billion individuals, and most find them utterly horrifying. Those who have this defect are known by the name of Pariah, or untouchable...'
Codex: Assassins (2nd ed.), pg.20

Thus it would seem that Pariahs and untouchables appear to be one and the same.

The differences in abilities might be attributed to the same reason(s) that psykers manifest different powers and abilities.
Alternatively, the Necron Pariah's lack of 'warp dampening' abilities (which are conspicuous by their absence as regards rules...) could be explained by them having absolutely no presence in the warp at all - as opposed to even a negative presence (although I'm not quite sure how this would work) - which presumably would mean that Necron Pariahs don't generate a 'vortex' around themselves in the warp; which is what actually stops nearby psykers from using their powers (Codex: assassins (2nd ed.), pg.24).
EDIT: Scratch that. Necron Pariahs DO have warp dampening abilities (Codex: Necrons, pg.17). They just don't have rules for it...

Zothos
10-07-2010, 20:03
To my knowledge current fluff implies that the "Pariah" gene is what causes Untouchables condition, and the Untouchables are what the Necrons turn into Pariahs.

If i read it correctly that is...

The Pariah gene supposedly is a product of the C'Tan tampering with different species. Which is similar to what the Old Ones did during the war.

Goosey_J
10-07-2010, 21:21
They are one and the same. An Untoucable is a Pariah, vice versa etc.

There are different levels of Pariah, however, much like their are different levels of Psyker. They can range from the idividual being naturally dislikeable, to utterly horrifying to be in the presence of.

If you check on the Lexi for a full scope. Hope this clears things up!

ChaosTicket
10-07-2010, 23:11
Nope. Pariahs are psychic negatives, absorbing warp power. Untouchables are psychic blanks. they have no presence and are immune to psychic powers.

They may be different levels, or Untouchables may have been the original that the C"tan based pariahs off, being a stronger anti-warp influence. I favor the latter.

Idaan
11-07-2010, 11:31
"untouchable" is the dictionary meaning of the word "pariah". They're interchargeable. Another word for psychic blanks is null (as in null-rod, nullship etc)

Purplepride
11-07-2010, 21:40
Hi everybody, thanks for all the answers.

Glad I'm not the only one that seems to be unsure what the difference between the two is (if there even is one).