PDA

View Full Version : black dragon egg in combat challenge

Shadowsinner
10-07-2010, 18:40
so if I have a character who eats the egg on his turn while in a combat challenge, would his 2d6 breath weapon be focused entirely on his opponent, or would it spread though the enemy unit as such?

chivalrous
11-07-2010, 14:41
Not sure, what's the ruling on a character riding a mount with a breath weapon in a challenge, I expect the answer would be the same in both cases.

Ovassilias
11-07-2010, 16:12
the close combat breath attack is used against the challenger.

its a close combat attack....and your in a challenge.

Falkman
11-07-2010, 17:01
Breath attacks can not single out targets, but hit the entire unit, so would in fact not be able to be directed at the challenge.

Arkh
11-07-2010, 21:05
Breath attacks can not single out targets, but hit the entire unit, so would in fact not be able to be directed at the challenge.

Yeah, it works like chariot impact hits.

chivalrous
11-07-2010, 23:46
I'd completely forgotten that the Dragon Egg could be used to inflict 2D6 cc hits... that said, the template thrown over a horde at close range (preferably by a Hero on a Dark Steed or Pegasus 1" on the horde unit's flank or rear) would hit far more models than a 2D6 roll in combat. safer for the hero too ;)

Ovassilias
12-07-2010, 00:45

where does it say that?

p67 breath weapon close combat attack....a model with this attacks hits a unit in base contact. A character is a unit.

No where in this section it says that u cant use it in a challenge.

moving on to p102 fighting a challenge...Move these characters into base contact..These two characters must direct ALL of their attacks against each other-they cannot be attacked by any other model.

unless u can direct me to a page that speciffically says that breath close combat attack cant be used in a challenge, to me a dragon egg user can use it just fine. Its not shooting.

Falkman
12-07-2010, 01:00
a model with this attacks hits a unit in base contact. A character is a unit.
A lone character is a unit.
A character in a unit is part of that unit.
Hence when the breath hits the unit it cannot specifically hit the character, since he is part of the unit.

Ovassilias
12-07-2010, 08:27
still thats your own logic m8.

I have pointed out the parts that using the egg in a challenge is perfectly normal. You havent provided a page referance where it says u cant use the close combat breath attacks in a challenge.

Both models, challenger and the one who accepts it, are moved into base contact, in the challenge section it says u use all of your attacks against that single model.

still waiting from someone to post a ref. where it says its not allowed.

Falkman
12-07-2010, 10:17
The character pages, where it says the character becomes part of the unit.
He is not a unit of his own anymore, and you cannot direct the breath at him anymore than you can direct impact hits at him, since they both hit the unit.

Ovassilias
12-07-2010, 12:38
right...well impact hits speciffically say that u cannot target models and are distributed as shooting, they are also made before initiave etc.

Close combat breath attack...is a close combat attack.

There is nowhere in the book saying that this special close combat attack cannot be directed against specific models.
Nowhere in the book that this attack has to be directed against the whole unit.

More over, in a challenge these 2 fighters are only involve and are in base contact, away from everyone else.

So....RAW nothing stops you from directing a CLOSE COMBAT breath attack against a single model even inside a unit if u are in base contact with him.
Again, its a special close combat attack.

Impact Hits have different rules, if u cant point to a page where it actually says that close combat attacks (and thats exactly what the breath can be used for) cant be directed against a specific model, then its perfectly legal to do so.