PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings 2500pts, 8th Ed.

Mozzamanx
10-07-2010, 20:31
Ello,
after reading through the 8th edition rulebook, I've made a new Tomb King army to take the changes into account. With the rules being so new, I don't know exactly what to expect and so I'd appreciate any criticism on my list you can give.

Tomb King- Flail of Skulls, Collar of Shapesh, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Light Armour, Shield

Liche Priest- Staff of Ravening
Liche Priest- Enkhils Kanopi
Liche Priest- Golden Ankhra, Casket of Souls
Icon Bearer- Skeletal Steed, Light Armour, Icon of the Undying Legion

Skeleton Archers- 26, Full Command
Chariots- 4

Tomb Guard- 19, Full Command, Icon of Rakaph
Ushabti- 3
Tomb Scorpion
Tomb Scorpion

Screaming Skull Catapult- Skulls of the Foe
Screaming Skull Catapult- Skulls of the Foe

2499pts

It's a fairly simple castle list. The Casket finds a nice hill to stand on and get LoS to everyone, and then everything deploys around that really. The King stays with his Guard, with the Ushabti to support. The Catapults go near the Casket, with the Priests spread around to support everything. With any luck all my shooting units will be Smiting for the first few turns.

From there its a very simple case of shooting the s**t out of the opponent, possibly falling back with the Archers as I do so. All magic dice will be going into bound spells, which means I can quite handily get 10 dice of Incantation / equivalents, plus 4 Bound Spells using the winds. I'm fairly confident this can overload magic defense, and so alot of that will be going through.

Under ideal circumstances, thats 104 arrows, 4 catapults, 2 magic missiles and the Casket, every turn. :)

Even so, something is going to get through, and so in the late game its a case of reforming and charging as appropriate. With focussed fire, I should be able to strip ranks off units, and then its a simple case of Tomb Guard at the front, Ushabti/Chariot to the side, and the Archers to provide ranks (and remove stubborn). It might be optimistic, but I'm fairly confident in my ability to break a unit with this multi-charge.

There are flaws, I know. I'm putting massive faith in my Incantations going off at the end, and I'm hoping the flashiness of my magic phase will be enough to get the key spells through. Also, losing Priests will hurt me alot, so thats an obvious weak spot.

Aside from that, how does the list look? Any comments are appreciated. For what its worth, I currently have minimum Core allowance, so I can't strip that any further.

I'm very tempted to drop the Icon Bearer, and upgrade one of the Liches to a High Liche. This would give (another) boost to magic, as well as a lovely +3 to dispel. It would, however, require stripping some upgrades. Probably the 'Skulls of the Foe'.

lcfr
10-07-2010, 22:09
Tomb King- Flail of Skulls, Collar of Shapesh, Ruby Ring of Ruin, Light Armour, Shield

Ruby Ring of Ruin is the Bound Fireball? It's a nice set-up, taking a few Bound common items is a good idea, we can take advantage of the 2d6 PD we'll be generating anyways.

Liche Priest- Staff of Ravening
Liche Priest- Enkhils Kanopi
Liche Priest- Golden Ankhra, Casket of Souls
Icon Bearer- Skeletal Steed, Light Armour, Icon of the Undying Legion

The set-up is good, but you're way over your 25% allowance, since the Casket of Souls counts towards your Heroes, not Rares. I don't think anyone will miss that Icon Bearer though....:p A scroll of some kind might be a good idea, a lot of the new magic is just so devastasting that it seems mandatory; it'd suck to waste Incantations re-summoning skellies.

Maybe merge 'em? I want to run a Horde of 40 myself; I don't think it'll hurt, since you only have enough Liches to give the 2 SSCs and one of the units an extra shooting phase (or do the Kings know the Incantation for this? I'm a little rusty, I shelved my TK for the past month).

Chariots- 4

I think a musician is a good idea for any chariot unit, since the new Fast Cav rules only allow a free move at the start of the game, and afaik don't enable free reforms...I could be wrong on this, of course.

Mozzamanx
10-07-2010, 23:09
Good catch on the characters, I missed that part!

I'd prefer to keep the 2 separate units of archers. While the big unit would probably work better, I think it looks better as 2, and it also means I can use one to tarpit in emergencies.

I now have 100pts to play with, and there are 3 choices that really stand out:
- 4th Ushabti, 3 more Tomb Guard
- 4th Ushabti, a Dispel Scroll and a Musician for the Chariots
- *Dropping* Skulls of the Foe, and upgrading a Liche to a High Liche.

While the 3rd options seems tempting, I think the other 2 would be better uses because my magic is already fairly overboard.

Lordy
11-07-2010, 00:23
I'm struggling to make my first list, my set up was almost identicle to yours only for 2k

Can't get enough characters and spells in at 2k, Ushabti are way too pricey and the High Liche cost is insane.

But yeah i'm liking your list but i can see how difficult it is making a list for these Dead thigns :D