PDA

View Full Version : thesheriff's high elves 3k list - 8th ed.

thesheriff
10-07-2010, 20:43
Zup :D. Withs some to-ing and fro-ing, i have decided on my newest army - Highelves :o . I originally set a theme of shadow warriors, but then, realising i wanted to win games, incorperated White lions, for a forest walking army. Then, reading my bank balance, i deciede this may not be the best optrion, and it might make sense to incorperate some of the new rumored choice in the new Core game (starter set). I will be swaping the so-called skaven with my friend for the so-called high elves. he will get alot of so-called clanrats and so-called hellpit abominations and so-called wind mortars, while i will get the so-called Lothren seaguard and so-called plastic swordsmasters.
Here is my list. And i know ther are some more so-called goodies in the new box, but i will put 2 griffons in my army at 5k
So, here it is;

Highborn w. Armour of Caelador, Guardian Phoinix, White Sword = 235
Arch mage (Lore of Life) w. Lv.4 = 260

Korhil = 140
High elf Mage (Lore of Fire) w. Lv.2, Silver Wand = 145
High elf mage (Lore of Fire) w. Lv.2, Dispel scroll = 160

30 Lothren Sea-guard w. Shields, Command = 405

28 White Lions w. Command, Banner of Arcane protection = 475
10 Swordsmasters = 150
10 Swordsmasters = 150
Lion Chariot = 140

Bolt thrower = 100
Bolt thrower = 100
Bolt thrower = 100

Total = 2,997

The White Lions set up front and centre 3x10. In this unit, the Archmage and Lord will sit. They will be flanked by Swordsmasters, and they will in turn be flanked by seaguard, each with a fire mage inside. the Bolt throwers will sit wher needed, supporting fire and skewering monsters while the lion chariot will go after infantry on flanks.

C&C would be apriciated :p

thesheriff

Brady
10-07-2010, 22:59
Maybe swap one of the fire mages for a BSB as they are vital in any infantry force now (and its only 25 points, well worth it). I also reckon that a ten man unit of sword masters just is not going to survive long enough so i would drop the masters and with the points beef up the sea guard. (unless you want to use the masters becuase you have the shiny new so called models :D)

D'Haran
11-07-2010, 01:05
I agree with Brady about the BSB, kill the elf with the scroll and take a bsb, hopefully you have enough points left over to give the remaining mage the ring of fury or even drop the wand for the +1 dispel staff (a total of +6 to any dispel roll is more than sufficient for anti magic).

If you keep the SM's put them in one big unit, it'll draw fire sure enough but hopefully you can still get it into combat, it'll survive longer as a big unit though.

Not sure why you too Korhil with this army, he isn't really needed even fluff wise so you are free to drop him for something else.

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 09:17
Thanks

My thoughts with the swordsmasters were they would act to launch flank charges. Or, one unit of 18 with command would be the sam amount of points.

Korhil is there because i love the model, i think he will probably go in the swordsmasters on reflection.

But i will trake a BSB, but what makes them so good in the new addition. And should i give him a magic banner, the standard of sorcery is tempting for those turns i don't get a high roll on my power pool.

Desert Rain
11-07-2010, 11:09
I think that a single unit of 18 would be better than 2 of 10. Such small units will die very easily to everythinf.
The BSB allows re-rolls on every kind of Ld tests, so he is mandatory now!
I have mine on foot with Armour of Caledor, Guardian Phoenix and a Great Weapon. But since you've already used those items you'll have to look at alternatives. Perhaps the armour that gives you a 2+ save from the BRB?

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 11:22
heres the updated list;

Arch mage (Lore of Life) w. Lv.4 = 260

Korhil = 140
High elf Mage (Lore of Fire) w. Lv.2, Silver Wand = 145
Noble w. dragon armour, enchanted shield, Talismain of preservation (4+ ward), bsb, great weapon = 164

18 Swordsmasters w. full comand = 300
Lion Chariot = 140

Bolt thrower = 100
Bolt thrower = 100
Bolt thrower = 100

Total = 3,001

I'm using the Rulebook pts values for the enchanted shield, because it is stupid not use them, they're there for a reason.

The bsb has a 3+ save and a 4+ ward, compared to a 2+ save and a 5+ ward that Desert rain mentioned. And, like the second combo, he's immune to flaming.

And i know i'm 1pt over, buty i wont beat myself up over it!

thesheriff

Desert Rain
11-07-2010, 12:21
The rule book says that you should use the points value from the army book if the item appear in both. Therefore you need to pay 10 points for an enchanted shield, not 5, unless you house rule it.

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 16:12
We house rule it - It seems a bit pointless, all the values should be the same

On anouther note, i found out today all models in base combat, even if they are lower iniative, can strike the opposing unit. This got me thinking about the effectivness of chariots in 8th ed., and i have come to the conclusion, they suck now. The idea was to run into a unit and kill them before they strike back.

So, what should i spend the points on?

Brady
11-07-2010, 17:53
Three great eagles? For war machine hunting.

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 17:55
plese, do not talk to me about great eagle brady, you know i think they should be banned for pointlessness

Brady
11-07-2010, 21:55
Ummm against war machine crew they are pretty decent becuase of stomp (or claw ;))

D'Haran
11-07-2010, 23:38
List looks better now, hope you have some fun games. Feel free to use the Korhil model as a hero/lord choice if that's all you want from him (I do it all the time cause he rocks).

Eagles are better in this edition, with the stop attack they should tie combat rather than loose combat. Alternatively fliers got nurfed alittle as they now 'march' 20, all things said i think you can find a better use for 140 points than some chickens.

Another RBT wouldn't go amiss, and give your lvl 2 the RoF. Alternatively you're Archmage is alittle naked and needs some loving.

thesheriff
12-07-2010, 08:09
The reason the arch mage is naked is because she was only there to let me put +4 on all my dispel attempts. But this is what i had in mind if she did gain wargear;

Arch mage (Lore of Life) w. Lv.4, Silver wand, Talismain of endurance = 300

Korhil = 140
High elf Mage (Lore of Fire) w. Lv.2, Dispel scroll = 160
Noble w. dragon armour, enchanted shield, Talismain of preservation (4+ ward), bsb, great weapon = 164

29 Lothren Sea-guard w. Shields, Command = 392

18 Swordsmasters w. full comand = 300

Bolt thrower = 100
Bolt thrower = 100
Bolt thrower = 100
Bolt thrower = 100

Total = 3,002

The mage now has 5 spells, giving her extra chances to roll thr re-birth spell. And she has a ward save, for some extra durability.
The lv.2 does'nt really need it beacuse all i'm rally hoping for is flaming sword of rhun and swap the other for fireball.
And i took an extra bolt thrower, because you can never have too many bolt throwers

D'Haran
12-07-2010, 15:40
you could always pile the lvl 2 with the seerstaff, that way every game would be a good game for him.

thesheriff
12-07-2010, 17:28
What does the seerstaff actually do. yet to get the book and full set of wargear copied down from my freind

D'Haran
12-07-2010, 19:53
it lets you choose your spells rather than randomizing, a bargain for any mage.

Brady
12-07-2010, 19:53
Seerstaph of saphery lets you pick your spells.

thesheriff
12-07-2010, 20:43
Might take that then, thanks :D