PDA

View Full Version : Can Wizards cast spells while in close combat?

Bane316
10-07-2010, 22:06
I know in the last edition, it's was clearly mention that you can't cast spell while in CC but in the 8th edition, I can't find that rule. I know that you can't target a unit in CC but no mention about casting in CC.

Falkman
10-07-2010, 22:07
There was no such rule in 7th ed, and there still isn't in 8th ed.
Every spell has clear targeting restrictions that tell you how and when they can be cast.

Necromancy Black
11-07-2010, 07:29
Exactly what Falkman said. There was never any rule in 7th edition saying you can't cast magic while in CC, and there isn't one in 8th. No change.

drussell16
11-07-2010, 10:04
Can wizards / leich priests fight from the second rank?
the side bar reference to character positioning in units seems to infer this.

this would protect leich priests, who could carry on casting augment spells and finally find a use for the sepent staff!!! in support combat.

mightyzombie
11-07-2010, 11:27
Can wizards / leich priests fight from the second rank?
the side bar reference to character positioning in units seems to infer this.

this would protect leich priests, who could carry on casting augment spells and finally find a use for the sepent staff!!! in support combat.

Characters must be placed in the first rank when they join a unit.

Only if they are somehow forced to be in the second rank, such as by having the character join a unit in which there is no room for him in the front rank because it is already taken up by other characters, as he would only displace any normal rank-and-file model in the unit, including command.

The other possibility would be if the character had a rule that specifically allowed him to be placed somewhere other than the first rank, such a Slann has when joining a unit of temple guard.

There was never any rule in 7th edition saying you can't cast magic while in CC, and there isn't one in 8th. No change.

Also I believe in 7th ed there WAS such a restriction on casting while in combat, but it applied exclusively to Magic Missiles, if I remember correctly, and this caveat definitely still applies in 8th (RBRB pg 31).

Lord Zarkov
11-07-2010, 13:23
as he would only displace any normal rank-and-file model in the unit, including command.

In 8th Characters quite explictly may not move command models to the second rank - so if you're 5 wide with full command then the third character you put in a unit goes
in the second rank

Zetan
11-07-2010, 15:08
In 8th Characters quite explictly may not move command models to the second rank - so if you're 5 wide with full command then the third character you put in a unit goes
in the second rank

Well, that's pretty cool... I was wondering if there was a way that, with the new percentage rules, a Skaven player could take advantage of the uber-cheap base cost of an Engineer. With this, you could buy a couple to fill the first rank, then put a model you want to protect (a BSB, caster, or something else non-combaty) into the second rank. Protects them for at least one round. And if you really want to protect them, you could add even more engineers, though it would start to get prohibitively expensive for the amount of protection you're getting.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 4 engineers plus a BSB and full command... they could kill the first two engineers, you could choose to move the next two up, they could kill those, then you'd finally hafta move the BSB up.

Morty
11-07-2010, 15:20
1 prob with doing that is that they have put in that MM and Vortex spells are cast into the wizards forward and he must have los out of the unit to do so or he shoots his own unit (a definate NONO under the new rules) so any wizard so placed would only be able to cast HEXs and Augments and any DD spell that dont use the flame template.