PDA

View Full Version : What is the 40K universe, as far as you are concerned?

gloriousbattle
10-07-2010, 22:14
Just waxing a little bit philosophical here.

Though we often argue about various aspects of the 40K universe, I think it's safe to say that anybody who is a regular participant on Warseer likes the 40K universe for some reason or other.

So what's yours? Why do you like it?

I'm an old grognard, as some of you have been quick to point out ;), and I like 40K because, to me, it is JRR Tolkien in outer space. I like the romance of elves, dwarves and orcs in space suits, and the romance of space marines who defend a fragile, failing empire (Gondor?) against a darkness that grows ever more powerful and draws ever nearer.

And yet, at the same time, it's a humorous universe, full of stupid orcs, even stupider ogres, gruff dwarves, snotty elves, etc. And what are the Tyranids? Ah, dunno. Maybe the dragons...

Thus, I like the stuff that adds to this feel. I enjoy the Squats, however silly they may feel. I do not like the Tau, who, while they are a nicely crafted alien race, definitely do not add to the "Tolkieny" feel of it. I do like the necrons (space undead).

But that's just me, and, admittedly, it is getting to be something of a minority view. So how about you? What draws you to the 40K universe?

IvanTih
10-07-2010, 22:22
Warhammer 40k has become my favorite sci-fi universe because of the Imperium's attitude towards it's enemies and because of the SPESS MUHREENS.

bigcheese76
10-07-2010, 22:37
I like the 40k universe because:

Tanks tanks tanks of the Imperial Guard.

The inquisition- a ruthless organization who claim they are always doing the work of the Emperor for the good of the Imperium and as they have the title Inquisitor, it is allowed and not questioned.

Kage2020
10-07-2010, 22:43
I like it because you can shape it to what you want. I dislike it for the same reason. ;)

What can I say, though? I'm suffering from 40k burnout.

Kage

ForgottenLore
11-07-2010, 08:59
Honestly, I am not sure why I like it, because if you named any given aspect of it I would probably dislike something about that aspect.

Born Again
11-07-2010, 14:13
I like it because it's just so GRIMDARK. Forget your Utopian societies, forget your so called "evil Empire", it doesn't get much bleaker than 40k. Plus, it's just so epic in it's scale, in a kind of romantic way: not as in a romance novel, but a more Tolkien-esque kind of way. The belief system of the warriors... Space Marines are dead hard physically, but the fact that you can chop off limbs and they'll still keep coming at you is an impressive statement on their dedication and psychological conditioning.

I'm a big fan of the way the background is often presented as a "feel" rather than "information", such as with the little quotes and things. It gives you a setting you are free to explore at will.

I could go on all day, hopeless nerd I am... :p

Drakcore Bloodtear
11-07-2010, 14:18
Well Warhammer was the first grim/dark sci-fi setting I'd come across
and I prefered it to the jolly, happy cliche that seem to come with all fantasy settings.

gloriousbattle
11-07-2010, 15:38
I like it because it's just so GRIMDARK.

Well Warhammer was the first grim/dark sci-fi setting I'd come across
and I prefered it to the jolly, happy cliche that seem to come with all fantasy settings.

Dystopian settings have a lot to be said for them, as far as advanturing is concerned. After all, in Middle Earth, the Shire gets pretty boring after awhile. If you want some fun, you have to go hang out in the Barrow Downs, Mirkwood or Mordor. :)

RunepriestRidcully
11-07-2010, 15:44
As others have said, the grimdarkness, which in a way makes it more realistic then Star trek, mankind, at the heart, is dark ,selfish and violent, and intolerant, just look at histry and look at all the wars, the hate and genocide we have been willing to commit against our own kind, let alone aliens, if we ever encounter other forms of life, there will be war, it will be dark, interstellar travel will be dangerous, those who look to star trek and other utopias are optimists at best. The inquisition, how it struggles to keep the imperium and mankind safe, from within and without, the secrecy, the Grey Knights and their combat with daemonkind, the gothic aspect to the imperium, the few stars of hope like the space wolves, Salamanders, Sisters of Battle, the Imperial guard, ordinary people facing the horrors the universe can through at them. The darkness, bleakness and gothic aspects are what ender 40K to me, and as GW continues to wash it away for little kids and make it all pg 10, well I look to previous editions where it was stronger.

Lupe
11-07-2010, 16:43
Mainly because it's so over the top it's awesome.

And because it's so awesome it's over the top...

Karl MkVI
11-07-2010, 17:02
Cinematic, Epic, and Awe-Inspiring.

It's the epitome of spine-tingling. take any of its great battles like Macragge, Isstvan V, or the siege of Terra; or its inspiring moments, like the Emperor vs Horus, the last stand at Isstvan III, the Grey Knights charging Angron and his daemons, Magnus taking on a titan; its incredibly cool characters, like Sly Marbo, Maugan Ra, the Assassinorum operatives, Inquisitors, or the entire Tyranid race (or even just the cool one-liners from such characters); or simply one of its incredibly breathtaking settings: the hives of Armageddon, Phalanx, the Imperial Palace, an Eldar Craftworld, the forges of Mars, the Iron Ring...

Now imagine any one of these committed to celluloid. Breathtaking.

blackcherry
11-07-2010, 17:02
When I first came across the game, I saw cathedrals in space, a gothic feeling coming out of every pore and a dark future where there is no hope and a million secrets with no way of ever, ever finding them out just because of how LARGE and messed up the in game universe is. The game is steeped in a world view that in just so very, very english :p.

Despite all that, they game never took itself seriously and had a very English sensability about it (surprising that ;p) and some of the blackest humour an 8 year old can come across. What isn't there to love about that?

Gorbad Ironclaw
11-07-2010, 20:05
I like it for the themed kitchen sink feel it have and for being a dramatic setting for a wargame. Also for being fantasy in space and I like fantasy.

I dislike it for having no consistency or much in the way of realism. Unfortunately I think my dislikes are starting to win out.

ODINM4
11-07-2010, 20:17
i like to see it as our actual future if we survive the next 100 years or we could turn out like the 40k verse

gloriousbattle
11-07-2010, 20:38
i like to see it as our actual future if we survive the next 100 years or we could turn out like the 40k verse

And you're okay with that? :wtf:

madprophet
11-07-2010, 21:11
It's the Dune-a-verse on LSD

I like the Dune-a-verse... LSD, not so much... but with the right gamer group you can de-emphasize the goofiness and it plays nice.

Scelerat
11-07-2010, 21:44
Madprophet beat me to it. I like the Dune resonances.

But mostly, one word: Eldar. I love their background to bits... Except the fact that Avatars are regularly beaten up by pretty much everyone who happens to take a stroll on a Maiden World.

The thing I dislike most about it is the way the background is portrayed and represented on the battlefield. Poor.

Son of Sanguinius
11-07-2010, 22:01
I was drawn in by the notion of futuristic space vikings and futuristic frenzied gladiators beating the hell out of each other with chainsaw-eqsue weapons.

What kept me around was the depth of the background (despite the many contradictions) and the metaphysical use of emotion and souls. I like the "grimdark" too, but from the perspective that the galaxy is ruthless and uncaring void that provides the battlefield for Lovecraftian deities and the aforementioned warrior cultures. Nothing really motivates like the biological imperative to survive.

Kage2020
11-07-2010, 22:04
But mostly, one word: Eldar. I love their background to bits... Except the fact that Avatars are regularly beaten up by pretty much everyone who happens to take a stroll on a Maiden World.
Amen to the first bit. Okay, maybe the second bit a bit more. Push me and I like the WFRP elves quite a bit as well. :D

Kage

SharpSilver
11-07-2010, 22:21
What is the 40K universe, as far as you are concerned?

Dark.
Menacing.
Apocalyptic.
Merciless.
Unforgiving.

And bloody brilliant.

Grimbad
11-07-2010, 22:50
Knights in shining spacesuits.

Winston Churchill, with a cigar and akimbo laser pistols, battling pagan space raiders.

Green space gorillas versus world war one.

ChaplainOrion
11-07-2010, 23:30
Super awesome dark Edgar Allen Poe crazy cool.

Kage2020
11-07-2010, 23:35
Super awesome dark Edgar Allen Poe crazy cool.
Does it say anything to anyone that I--and probably many others--understood this disjointed sentence? :D Cool! :cool:

:shifty:

Kage

Corax
11-07-2010, 23:42
As others have said, the grimdarkness, which in a way makes it more realistic then Star trek, mankind, at the heart, is dark ,selfish and violent, and intolerant, just look at history and look at all the wars, the hate and genocide we have been willing to commit against our own kind, let alone aliens, if we ever encounter other forms of life, there will be war, it will be dark, interstellar travel will be dangerous, those who look to star trek and other utopias are optimists at best. The inquisition, how it struggles to keep the imperium and mankind safe, from within and without, the secrecy, the Grey Knights and their combat with daemonkind, the gothic aspect to the imperium, the few stars of hope like the space wolves, Salamanders, Sisters of Battle, the Imperial guard, ordinary people facing the horrors the universe can through at them. The darkness, bleakness and gothic aspects are what endear 40K to me, and as GW continues to wash it away for little kids and make it all pg 10, well I look to previous editions where it was stronger.

Yes! This! I too rage against the dying of the darkness. The dystopian aspects are what has always appealed to me about 40k and its a source of irritation to me that its being diluted in order to appeal to the tween market.

You've covered the rest of this far more succinctly that I could.

+1

Kage2020
12-07-2010, 00:09
Is it perhaps just a little ironic that some of the 'ole grognards feel the same way about much of the 'fluff' that is (maybe) post 2e? ;)

Kage

Sinner_74
12-07-2010, 00:26
Is it perhaps just a little ironic that some of the 'ole grognards feel the same way about much of the 'fluff' that is (maybe) post 2e? ;)

Kage

Amen to that! That is one of the things that really irks me, being one of the old grognards, this washed out version of the gritty darkness that will always be 40k to me...

The huge diversity of the 40k universe is something that keeps me coming back though - the thought of having whole planets converted into factories, while other ones are solely dedicated to farming and their reliance on a form of space travel that is nothing close to reliable to keep each other supplied with the needs of every day life, makes for a very dark and bleak society...

The older fluff about warpstorms and the like really hammers this home - anyone remember the RT fluff for the original Logans World with it's capital of Helsreach? Ah, the life of a Hoverbus crewman...

Shinzui
12-07-2010, 01:17
As Dark and Grim as a PG rating can get:(

I'm probably jaded as I've been reading some actually dark and grim material recently and coming back and looking at the 40k Background and how the basic premise is good but when they go down to the detail they go against the basic premise and create a wash-downed version of the classic good vs evil.

ashc
12-07-2010, 08:18
I typically like fantasy settings over scifi ones, and 40k is about as scifi as I go (so not really, as I would still call it space fantasy :p)

Hunger
12-07-2010, 09:34
As others have said, the grimdarkness, which in a way makes it more realistic then Star trek, mankind, at the heart, is dark ,selfish and violent, and intolerant, just look at histry and look at all the wars, the hate and genocide we have been willing to commit against our own kind, let alone aliens, if we ever encounter other forms of life, there will be war, it will be dark, interstellar travel will be dangerous, those who look to star trek and other utopias are optimists at best. The inquisition, how it struggles to keep the imperium and mankind safe, from within and without, the secrecy, the Grey Knights and their combat with daemonkind, the gothic aspect to the imperium, the few stars of hope like the space wolves, Salamanders, Sisters of Battle, the Imperial guard, ordinary people facing the horrors the universe can through at them. The darkness, bleakness and gothic aspects are what ender 40K to me, and as GW continues to wash it away for little kids and make it all pg 10, well I look to previous editions where it was stronger.

Ridcully summed it up better than i could have. The most frightening conceptual ideas are not those about ghosts and monsters that make you jump or 'classic evil' such as serial killers or cape-wearing arch-villains, but those that show us things about ourselves that we don't wish to acknowledge.

At a societal level Humans really are terrible creatures - the oppression, destruction and domination of everything around us is our way of life. Our imagined 'struggle for survival' is an excuse to perpetrate whatever atrocities we wish against everything within arms reach, from battery-farmed animals and Jeremy Kyle guests, to the West's financial subjugation of the third world, religious wars, and those well-known Germans that get referenced a lot.

The 40K universe is a 39,000 year extrapolation of the worst aspects of the modern world and the Human psyche. We have reached the point that Humanity's only remaining purpose is war - the struggle for survival is real. The Imperium is a totalitarian regime that uses classic oppressor tools such as secret police, WMDs, information control and religious manipulation to control its citizens, but in M41 it really is for their own safety. Ethnic cleansing on a galaxy wide scale is Mankind's best bet to secure its own survival.

What makes it so frighteningly chilling is that we (the players) see it from the Imperium's point of view, and therefore have no choice but to align ourselves with the regime. The excuses are no longer excuses, they are justifiable reasons to commit horrific atrocities, and the fact that they are committed against fictional aliens and 'evil' humans makes it all acceptable to our sensibilities - qualifying the first statement I made.

Polaria
12-07-2010, 09:44

Dark.
Menacing.
Apocalyptic.
Merciless.
Unforgiving.

And bloody brilliant.

This.

Also, I love the fact that in 40k world the local superpower (Imperium) is honest... Fascist, yes, but also honest. Unlike the local superpower in real world which is biggest hypocrite around.

Whatever else you might say Imperium at least has the balls to go "Hi, we came to kick your ass because you are dirty xenos, we hate your opinions and despise your culture and want you all to DIE so we can take your planet."

Grubnar
12-07-2010, 21:27
What draws you to the 40K universe?

It is the Dark Ages ... in space ... with LASERS!

Oguleth
12-07-2010, 22:41
Fighting the darkness, just one more day...

And having recognisable mono-cultures spread around, and the interesting bits about how they deal with it.

And the whole chaos thing - just like with Elric and Event Horizon and so on and so forth.

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-07-2010, 05:51

Kage

Oh, I completely agree. There is a lot of "modern" 40k stuff I just tend to disregard, but I'm not sure it's actually that the setting is changing that much. I think it might be more that you start seeing more of the contradictions, silliness and flat out impossible stuff rather than accept it as cool. At least it seems my list of stuff I find "dumb" keeps growing :(

Born Again
13-07-2010, 07:18
I'd also like to add that it's character is so brilliantly constructed that even though I lacked some of the more eloquent words to describe it at the time, the dark, gritty and epic nature of it all was immediately apparent to my 8 year old brain the first time I ever saw a Space Marine.

Plus, Dark Ages + WWI & II + LAZORS! = how can you not like this?

Son of Sanguinius
13-07-2010, 07:23
Come to think of it, I remember the specific moment I became lost on the Path of the Warhammer Nerd.

It was lunch in my sophomore year in high school and I was standing next to my friend who was removing some textbooks from his locker. I saw the 3rd edition Tyranid Codex cover art and became mesmerized. Ten years later, I've got every codex and rules supplement from 3rd edition on. Not to mention all the Warhammer Armies books I could get from 6th edition on.

gloriousbattle
13-07-2010, 20:59
Oh, I completely agree. There is a lot of "modern" 40k stuff I just tend to disregard, but I'm not sure it's actually that the setting is changing that much. I think it might be more that you start seeing more of the contradictions, silliness and flat out impossible stuff rather than accept it as cool. At least it seems my list of stuff I find "dumb" keeps growing :(

Well, from the old grognard's perspective...

['scuse me while I take a sip of my geritol. Ah... that's better]

Now, where was I... oh yeah, from my perspective, original 40K was more tongue in cheek, and it was meant to be a good system, but the background was a fairly silly "orcs in space". Now it is still silly, but no longer really funny, as it takes itself to seriously (seminars on marine chapter history at GW stores, for God's sake?) and it really is no longer consistent.

Sorry to say it, but the Tau and the orks just don't belong in the same universe. The memes are totally different, and they just don't mix.

808thMyrmidons
14-07-2010, 04:16
i think the setting is gritty and dark. hell look at final liberation. look at some of the dark eldar fluff. its all very clive barker in my opinion (clive barker wrote the hellbound heart which became the movie hellraiser) and the people. god damn but theres something about them that just draws you in. theres no "good guys" in 40k and theres damn few "bad guys" in 40k. there is only war. i think its because the races are so diverse they 40k can appeal to anyone and let us release pent up aggression. come on i can't be the only one thats thought of my opponents HQ unit as my boss
short form of the above
its grim its gritty its darker than a black hole and its diverse

abasio
14-07-2010, 13:03

I must admit that I am only up on the older background and I do love the fact that everyone loses. Even when people win it's only to ultimately lose in the end. 40K for me is like what my brother told me when I was younger; "everyone has an older, harder mate" and in 40K it is true, no matter who you kill, something bigger and badder will come in it's place.

Does it say anything to anyone that I--and probably many others--understood this disjointed sentence? :D Cool! :cool:

:shifty:

Kage

I also like the reference :skull:

This.

Also, I love the fact that in 40k world the local superpower (Imperium) is honest... Fascist, yes, but also honest. Unlike the local superpower in real world which is biggest hypocrite around.

Whatever else you might say Imperium at least has the balls to go "Hi, we came to kick your ass because you are dirty xenos, we hate your opinions and despise your culture and want you all to DIE so we can take your planet."

I also like the honesty of xenophobia shown in the imperium. It is the best thing that keeps it from growing and surviving :p

Setesh
14-07-2010, 15:41
futuristic take on ww1/2 technology/design

grimdark

melodramatic language

british

Decius
14-07-2010, 15:54
Why has this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Warhammer40000)not turned up yet?

Hunger
14-07-2010, 20:15
Heh, I love that description Decius. This extract pretty much sums it up:

The basic premise of 40k, insofar as it can be summed up, is that of an eternal, impossibly vast conflict between a number of absurdly powerful genocidal, xenocidal and in one case omnicidal factions, with every single weapon, ideology and creative piece of nastiness imaginable turned up to eleven. The basic sidearm of a Space Marine is a fully automatic armour-piercing rocket-propelled grenade launcher. The Astronomican, a navigation aid, has the souls of thousands of psychic humans sacrificed to it every day, dying by inches to feed the machine. The faster-than-light travel used by most factions carries with it a good chance of being eaten by daemons. There are also chainsaw swords, armored gloves that crush tanks, mountain-sized daemonic walking battle cathedrals, tanks the size of city blocks and warships that level continents, if not simply obliterating all life on an entire planet just to be sure. And sometimes even that doesn't work. There is no time for peace, no respite, no forgiveness; there is only war.

I particularly love the shocked, disbelieving tone with which the voice in my head reads the phrase "The Astronomican, a navigational aid...

Reading that over again, the 40K universe really is an epic conceptual world isn't it?

gloriousbattle
15-07-2010, 02:44
...theres no "good guys" in 40k and theres damn few "bad guys" in 40k.

I like your analysis, but I disagree with this specific point.

The good guys are not many, but they do exist. Eisenhorn and Gaunt are two examples. These men do not always manage to do what is right, but they try. Both agonize over their decisions, and try to determine what is morally right in the long run, and try to minimize the harm that they cause.

As to their being few bad guys, I would say that there are many. Mostly they are those who, like the Dark Eldar, have gotten so caught up in what is going to benefit them personally that they do whatever it takes to help themselves, regardless of the harm they cause others.

Of course, you can respond with abstract questions about what constitutes right, and I can't answer it, but I think that an attitude of "me before thee" is a pretty good definition of wrong.

Lord Asgul
15-07-2010, 11:37
The 40k universe to me is:

KILL! MAIM! BURN!

Commissar's executing anyone who so much as flinches

A place gods and daemons do battle with their mortal followers

A place where there is no hope, only war

A place where one man can wield enough power to destroy a planet with the slightest of taints of Chaos

Where Nightmares are real and may try to sleep with you in certain cases...

Penitent Engine
15-07-2010, 12:19
Two things:
1) CHAOS.
In 40K, the gods do not play dice with the universe, they play poker. Interdimensional poker, with more complications than a tax return form and more gore than a large ostrich in a jet engine.

2) The total lack of restraint and cavalier attitudes of the various factions.
Even the 'good' guys will think nothing of incinerating a planetary population with twenty quadrillion megaton nuclear warheads because they belong to a different sect of the same religion.

Bit like Mad Max in space cross The Exorcist cross Silence of the Lambs cross 1984 cross The Road.

Brother Luctus
19-07-2010, 10:14
For me it’s the dark image of it. I mean the whole idea of the 40K placed so far into the future, getting humanity across so many Ages of different turmoil and ending with a human society that’s so much changed from what we know today…
Almost constant war…warp storms and travel…high level of cybernetic reliance…etc. etc. I think it’s über :cool:!
Also it’s as if 40K is here to tell you: those of you believing in the future bringing only new hopes and welfare, think again! It might for someone else but not for humanity. :evilgrin:

Easy E
19-07-2010, 18:52
I love it because:

1. Individuals are an insignificant nothing.
2. Lot's of room to do whatever you want.
3. Pessimism... IN SPACE!!!!
4. Science is a lie.
5. There is no nobility, only the least possible evil.

ImperiusDominatus
21-07-2010, 02:28
I like it because it's so ridiculously over the top. To me, it's not exactly a serious setting, so much as it is a dystopian space opera with the GRIMDARK turned up to eleven and the realism toned down purely to encompass ridiculous and epic battles.

Also PAULDRONS.

PUALDRONS everywhere.

MvS
21-07-2010, 12:00
Knights with space ships.

The Crusades with space ships.

Wizards, elves and robots with space ships.

Gods and demons with space ships.

And all the space ships have to fly through Heaven/Hell/Limbo (depending on who's looking) to get from A to B.

Excellent.

Col. Tartleton
21-07-2010, 15:03
I like that their "heroes" are from a society that takes the worst aspects of Fascism and Authoritarian Communism and that they're still terrible people despite it all...

Commissar Cain for example. Flashman was a dreadful fellow, but he was never expected to lead armored divisions in battle against teeming hordes of terrifying aliens. Well, maybe in War of the Worlds... but that's taking liberties with fiction presuming all of the Victorian literature is linked. But I blame Alan Moore.

I think 40k is awesome because it's Victorian and Medieval and Futuristic all rolled into something disgusting and ugly yet very recognizably human.

abasio
21-07-2010, 15:28
It is generally my image of mankind's future.
Not the specifics maybe, I am sure we wont be riding bikes into battle to slash at our enemies with chainsaws in space. However I think it will be hard for humanity to break free of the homicidal tendencies of the power hungry idiots we allow to lead us.
Put that with my thought that any species that wants to expand their empire into space is not likely to be very friendly leads to all out war forever more.
Maybe I am pessimistic but I see the general feel of 40k as humanity's most likey future (in which it survives)

ryng_sting
21-07-2010, 20:37
Used realism; the general feeling of life, like a garden hose, constantly thwarting all attempts to make it assume a more beneficial shape. It's a universe in which the Key to all Secrets exists, but an Ork Mek will be using it as a paperweight. Despite all its influences, and near-infinite varieties of setting, this, to me, is the very British foundation 40k is built on.

Son of Sanguinius
21-07-2010, 22:45
I really, really hope someone important at GW takes a good look at this thread and takes note of what draws us in.

Warmaster John
21-07-2010, 22:53
For me its the imperiums desperate struggle against its enemies, an the imperial guard who are ordinary men and women who go up against the galaxy's horrors with a t-shirt and laser pointer:D

m14xx1
21-07-2010, 22:58

Dark.
Menacing.
Apocalyptic.
Merciless.
Unforgiving.

And bloody brilliant.

This, and oddly enough, I hate the humor in 40K. I really wish they would have just stuck to the intro line. In the grim darkness of the future.....

I mean orks can be soooo much cooler if they just dropped the dam 3 stooges act.

But hey, if it gets more people interested, I cant complain!!

Son of Sanguinius
22-07-2010, 00:05
While I totally respect and understand your position, m14xx1, I can't disagree with you more.

Morose humor lends further gravitas to an uncaring and brutal galaxy. If the Orks brought no sense of humor, they'd simply be the Necrons or the Tyranids- brutal war machines (biological or otherwise) devoid of individual character. The Orks, in my humble opinion, are perhaps 40k's finest race. They live for battle. They do not care how inevitable your victory is or how powerful you think you are. They don't care about millennia-spanning schemes, supposed righteousness, or fairness and balance. They are simplicity and war made manifest, and they need no other concerns.

Now, when I say all this, understand that I like ALL of the 40k races. Yes, even that one. I got in because I loved Space Wolves and World Eaters and Tyranids, and the C'tan and the Chaos Gods added a Lovecraftian appeal that I couldn't deny. The Eldar (of all types) represent mysticism, potency, and superiority in evolution, and ultimately what our human arrogance could lead us to. The Tau represent true potential and an unwillingness to concede to perceived evils. The Imperium is the coolest necessary evil I've ever even heard of. The Tyranids are biological nightmare given form, spawned from a human fear that one day nature will rise to take back what we have usurped.

And despite all of that, the conclusion that I inevitably arrive at is one very simple phrase.

Green is best. :D

Gorbad Ironclaw
22-07-2010, 06:39
This, and oddly enough, I hate the humor in 40K. I really wish they would have just stuck to the intro line. In the grim darkness of the future.....

That would be a terrible setting. The humour elements in there at least pokes a little fun at itself and shows that it's not to be taken too seriously and it's all just an imaginary world to play around with.

If 40k started to take itself seriously it runs into the problems of nothing making any sense, nothing actually working and not having any sort of consistency.

It needs the leeway added by the humour and the less serious take because 40k doesn't work as a "serious" universe.

Malice313
22-07-2010, 10:12
It's the Dune-a-verse on LSD

Madprophet beat me to it. I like the Dune resonances.

While it cannot be denied that the is a slight influence from Dune, there is a far, far stronger influence from 2000AD's Books of Nemesis (partularly 1-7). Actually I think Kevin Walker actually did some of the illustrations in Rogue Trader.

Also PAULDRONS.

PUALDRONS everywhere.

My favourite pauldrons:

http://www.solegends.com/citcat89/c894106marines.htm

Terminator 410609

gloriousbattle
22-07-2010, 13:32
It needs the leeway added by the humour and the less serious take because 40k doesn't work as a "serious" universe.

Agreed, indeed.

FlashGordon
22-07-2010, 17:41
Adeptus astartes, the primarchs, the emperor, Horus, Gazskull(eh who cares how its spelled anyway? not gaszkull), Heros and villians, Cypher.

gwarsh41
22-07-2010, 19:13

Awesome, plain and simple.

Malice313
22-07-2010, 19:37
I really, really hope someone important at GW takes a good look at this thread and takes note of what draws us in.

I don't think there is much chance of that.

I think that it is the absurdity that make some of it fun, but you certainly can't take it seriously.

Kage2020
22-07-2010, 20:38
I don't think there is much chance of that.
Oh, I think that they do. The question is whether they really care. :D

Kage

Son of Sanguinius
22-07-2010, 20:40
I don't want them to care! I want them to exploit our tastes and prejudices! I want to be abused! Show me something so cool I have to spend on it.

Pillage our ideas. Infringe on copyright that doesn't exist. I don't care. Just make it even cooler.

Kage2020
22-07-2010, 20:53
Well that, at least, they certainly do... :D

Kage