PDA

View Full Version : Here or There?

bigcheese76
10-07-2010, 22:46
Hi Warseers,

A question came up the other day between my friends and I when debating the 40k universe. So, just a fun thread with a simple question.

Where would you rather live/exist?

In this universe- you keep your friends and family around you, life carries on as you know it. You play with your little Warhammer figures and live under your countrys government letting your countries army go to war for you (unless you are in the military). You will probably live to a good old age of about 70-90 years.

The 40k Universe- you keep your body and your name. That is it. You would be dumped in a hive city (or something similar) and you must live under the Emperor (or chaos if that is the path you choose). You will fight in his name and there is a very good chance you will be chucked in the guard and killed within the week. You will have no family or friends to speak of, just you.

Also, please feel free to detail in the thread what you would do upon arrival and where would you reasonably go and what would you do in the Emperor's name?

I know I would go to the nearest big public space and demmand the heretic was found who had stolen my Inquisitorial Rosette and Bolt Pistol. I know that could lead to a promt death, but think of the other route to which it could lead. Fully fledged Inquisitor in the 40k universe!

Coltaine
10-07-2010, 22:51
For the simple reason that there is no great adventure left in our world. Going to the 40k universe would open a can of whoop-ass awesome adventure =)

Farseer Dave
10-07-2010, 22:53
As fun as being shiped off to fight the horrors of the Galaxy with a flashlight sounds , err It think ill stay at home and Watch Star Wars tnks!

Farseer Dave.

Captain_Trips01
10-07-2010, 22:56
I'm sure a lot of people will reply with "lolol I'd go to Warhammer cause this world sucks and it would be so cool there" except you would probably die within the week, and you would not have ANY fun, literally. Anyone who doesn't plan on dying immediately won't go.

Crazy Ivan
10-07-2010, 23:02
Noooo contest. I am fairly pleased with my life, and things actually have a chance of getting better here...

Of course, considering the option of going to 40k, and either dying for the Emperor/being executed for heresy/being murdered by galactic horrors/spending the rest of my short life doing backbreaking work in a manufactorium...

It's tempting, I admit...

Sinner_74
10-07-2010, 23:35
As fun as being shiped off to fight the horrors of the Galaxy with a flashlight sounds , err It think ill stay at home and Watch Star Wars tnks!

Farseer Dave.

This times 1000... I have not once thought that living in the grim dark reality of the 40K universe would be "cool" - I think, under the circumstances presented as choices in this thread, that it would be worse than the inevitable death you would face...

spetswalshe
11-07-2010, 00:00
For the simple reason that there is no great adventure left in our world. Going to the 40k universe would open a can of whoop-ass awesome adventure =)

Really? On a hive world, adventure consists of working your fingers to the bone in a badly-lit factory, never seeing the sun, sky, sea or stars, and hopefully drinking yourself into oblivion before the next 14-hour shift begins. Not that you'll enjoy such time off, it being a constant struggle not to get yourself brutally murdered by the thugs that run the place (be they gangers, Enforcers or otherwise) in return for a handful of creds and your one pair of boots.

If you want that, you can probably find it somewhere on our world. If you want to join a gang and shoot people, you can do that in most major cities. If you want to join an army that uses human wave tactics and considers you less valuable than your rifle, join in any of the numerous guerilla wars going on throughout the Middle East and Africa. If you want to get killed by religious fanatics, beaten to death by tool-using creatures of another species, or eaten by something that has no real emotional interest in your welfare - we've plenty of places for that too. If you want to wear powered armour and carry an automatic grenade launcher... Well, you could become a helicopter gunner. Quite notably, the closest you would get to that in the 40k world (since you're probably older than 13 and presumably not already a hardened killer) would be joining the Guard.

And being trained less than contemporary soldiers, issued with significantly inferior equipment, and ordered by officers who genuinely don't care if you die? And the least threatening thing you're going to come up against is people just like you?

If that's 'adventure', then consider me a sedentary coward who prefers to choose his own job and place to live, and enjoys things like the internet and the ability to insult pretty much anyone without being tied to a stake and set on fire. Having an Xbox and eating chocolate is immensely preferable to running out of a troop ship, getting hit by artillery before I see anyone and bleeding to death in a crater.

edit; less seriously - Dark Eldar. They're enough reason to stay here.

Mannimarco
11-07-2010, 00:12
Mindless back breaking labour for a faceless bureaucracy that doesnt care whether you live or die? Im already doing that here!

destroyerlord
11-07-2010, 00:28
Have ever been to another country? Go talk to travel agent, it really is a big world out there. ;)

massey
11-07-2010, 00:36
All my stuff is here. None of my stuff is there.

ForgottenLore
11-07-2010, 08:57
I might consider it if I could be assure of going to a Tau world, but not a chance if it was an imperial hive world.

Iuris
11-07-2010, 10:25
Anyone who wants to live in 40k hasn't read enough Dark Heresy fluff :)

Karl MkVI
11-07-2010, 11:36
I didn't read the OP thoroughly enough...

I clicked 40k, but only on the pretence of being someone important and cool; a chapter master, an inquisitor, etc.

being a lowly randomer on a hive world would suck. end of. but being a hero who travelled the galaxy bringing the Emperor's light to a hundred worlds, and living for centuries, before (hopefully) finding some kind of glorious and valorous death? or commanding an imperator? or a retribution class battleship? awesome. and I genuinely mean that, even if it meant fighting for most of my waking life. it would be so much... more, than what we have here.

that said, if i was dumped in a hive tomorrow, id just join a gang. i really dont think id sign up for the guard. hey, maybe i coiuld cheat my way into getting fast-tracked for the mechanicus and end up in an imperator that way!! :)

Lord Zarkov
11-07-2010, 12:38
Or if you're really lucky do a Maxim Borusa (From Execution Hour/Shadowpoint)
He started out as a Hive Trash criminal press ganged into the Imperial Navy, but thought a combination of a couple of lucky escapes; a few cases of right place right time; and being an effective bodyguard for the Flag Lieutennant and Captain he ends up as an officer by the end of the second book

Fallen DA
11-07-2010, 15:08
I may well risk it. No pain no gain right. And my mother said I could go just as long as I was back by tea time.....

ODINM4
11-07-2010, 20:26
id go to the 40k verse and join chaos.id get them to turn me into a chaos marine.blood for the blood god ahahhahahahahaha

ODINM4
11-07-2010, 20:28
why because we are the generation with out a cause ,what do we have to fight for ??

bigcheese76
11-07-2010, 20:32
Anyone who wants to live in 40k hasn't read enough Dark Heresy fluff :)

Mabey I have read to much Dark Heresy fluff, I play every week and love the world that is the Imperium.

Askil the Undecided
12-07-2010, 06:31
Lets put it this way the entire popluation of earth today would fit in a hive many, many times over. What's more we'd all be dead in a week or two from not having grown up tough enough to survive a fortnight. (Apologies to anyone 38,000 years ahead of the curve on evolution who grew up as a child soldier in a chaotic warzone. You'd probaly last a month or so.)

What's more the entire population of Earth today dropping dead in a week probaly would hurt most hives too badly.

Coltaine
12-07-2010, 08:58
Id say alot of you have small imaginations. Except for the guy who quoted Maxim Borusa. Its all oppurtunity. Spinning dice on a different wheel of fate. If you asked me at birth knowing all I know now, what setting would you like to be birthed in? gimmie 40k any day of existence. Maybe everyone who wants to stay here is just soft, and are already mentally defeated for that world anyway, so dont deserve to go ?

Clockwork-Knight
12-07-2010, 10:11
Tough words from somebody who wants to live in an universe where nazi-communistic ultra-fundamentalistic bigots who see technology as arcane devilry understood and tolerated only by religious excuses of repairmen, who will turn you into a cyborg slave with the slightest excuse, and while monsters eat you alive and penetrate you while you're crying and eating your own fingers because you're abused and starved so much, you give in to idiot pseudo-sentient warp storms who'll turn you into something with ten butts for eyes and fecal matter for your heart.

If anybody could chose what he wanted, everybody would be rich, famous, popular, and healthy everywhere.

Only idiots would really sincerely claim that life in Wh40k is good in any way and mean it like that, and they'd be unable to differentiate reality and fantasy.

It's fun to play with plastic miniatures of caricaturesque knights in space fighting against pickelhaube wearing troglodytes who worship a mummy, while space elven ninja clowns shoot shurikens from their guns, and cockney-accent space fungii throwing smaller versions of them into your army, or Alien-rip-offs stalkiing through a space ship and a bunch of commandos are sent to smoke them out.

But living there? To pity somebody who seriously wants that is a waste of time .

Captain_Trips01
12-07-2010, 11:31
Id say alot of you have small imaginations. Except for the guy who quoted Maxim Borusa. Its all oppurtunity. Spinning dice on a different wheel of fate. If you asked me at birth knowing all I know now, what setting would you like to be birthed in? gimmie 40k any day of existence. Maybe everyone who wants to stay here is just soft, and are already mentally defeated for that world anyway, so dont deserve to go ?

Either you don't really understand 40k or... well, nevermind. So, you're saying we're soft, mentally defeated, and small-minded because we don't want to die? There would be no adventure, no "opportunity." Rough estimate: 80% chance you live as a hive worker, slaving away 18 hours a day before going "home" to you shack in the slums, never seeing the sun or the sky or the sea. 10% chance you become a Guardsman, and die from an artillery shell before ever firing your weapon. 10% chance of living similar as you do now, except you also worship the Emperor. So, don't insult people because they don't want to live as a faceless worker who is lucky to live to 40 or as a guardsman who dies 14 seconds after the start of your first ever battle.

Hunger
12-07-2010, 14:57
Where would you rather live/exist?

In this universe- you keep your friends and family around you, life carries on as you know it.

The 40k Universe- you keep your body and your name. there is a very good chance you will be chucked in the guard and killed within the week. You will have no family or friends to speak of, just you.

Hmm, tough one that. Lets see, happy life, nice family, comfortable home, no danger...

...or...

...constant threat of danger, violence, hunger, creeping fear, paranoia, isolation, followed by a week spent paralysed with terror in combat versus foes even my nightmares are scared of, ending in my violent and bloody death.

Well that is a great question Bigcheese. I'll have to think hard on this one.

Thanatos_elNyx
12-07-2010, 15:18
Option 3: I wanna live in Star Trek.

Crazy Ivan
12-07-2010, 15:30
Option 3: I wanna live in Star Trek.
Where you will prepare to be assimilated? :p

I prefer to live in a universe where, if there are mind-eating galactical horrors out there, I am completely oblivious of their existence. That's why I had trouble understanding the motivations of most characters in the Matrix, except for Cypher, too. Blissfull ignorance for me, baby!

Askil the Undecided
12-07-2010, 15:34
Option 4: Accept you're a geek (and possibly a misanthoropic, maladjusted wreck whose problem would cost more in surgery and counselling to fix than you'll ever see or touch) who honestly finds true joy in the hypothetical destruction their few friend's opposing armies of small metal and plastic men. Having done this hope that you get a little more money and that you modelling and painting skills improve slightly this year so that army project you have had work in progress for the last half decade will finally come to fruition.

i.e. continue living as you are now, hoping for the best.

Gobbo Trouble
12-07-2010, 15:45
well how about this..would you rather stay here or in the 40k universe but on a rather pleasant planet like the ultra marines homeworld, where you'll have opportunities?

of course no one would want to swap this life for a life of a hive worker, go work in a third world shoe factory if you do.

spetswalshe
12-07-2010, 16:14
Tough words from somebody who wants to live in an universe where nazi-communistic ultra-fundamentalistic bigots who see technology as arcane devilry understood and tolerated only by religious excuses of repairmen, who will turn you into a cyborg slave with the slightest excuse, and while monsters eat you alive and penetrate you while you're crying and eating your own fingers because you're abused and starved so much, you give in to idiot pseudo-sentient warp storms who'll turn you into something with ten butts for eyes and fecal matter for your heart.

Wise words indeed :)

Its all oppurtunity. Spinning dice on a different wheel of fate.

As someone who lives in New Zealand - which has a quality-of-life rating of 7.4, one of the highest in the world - I would say you probably already lucked out on the fate wheel. You - and I'm making some sweeping generalisations here - have access to healthcare, entertainment, higher education, economic freedom and an unbiased justice system, in a country consistently ranked as one of the most pleasant to live in on the planet. A hive worker does not. If you're born on this planet, you might have a one-in-a-million chance of becoming a film star, rock star, world leader or secret agent. You live on a hive world, that chance jacks up to one-in-a-trillion. You might not be able to become a Space Marine, but I suppose you could become an immensely powerful cyborg Inquisitor - as long as you're prepared to give up all semblance of a normal life (imagine how many friends a torture expert working for the Gestapo had, then halve it and kill off any who might be remotely sane) in return for spending a century doing the bidding of your Hitler-crossed-with-Fred-Phelps masters - annihilating sentient aliens for the crime of not being born human, burning priests alive for saying the wrong thing at mass, decimation of loyal soldiers, genocide against those born even slightly different (despite the fact that you could barely be called human yourself anymore)... Yeah, sounds great.

Maybe everyone who wants to stay here is just soft, and are already mentally defeated for that world anyway, so dont deserve to go ?

Maybe everyone who wants to go is laughably naive, and have already allowed themselves to be defeated by this arguably-quite-pleasant world to begin with, and so wouldn't take up any of the dubious opportunities offered by the 40k universe anyway, ending up as just another faceless downtrodden minion no matter where they started from?

Gue'Vesa'Vre Kilo
12-07-2010, 16:16
well how about this..would you rather stay here or in the 40k universe but on a rather pleasant planet like the ultra marines homeworld, where you'll have opportunities?

of course no one would want to swap this life for a life of a hive worker, go work in a third world shoe factory if you do.

Yes, and witness the near destruction of the Ultramarines chapter when the nids come to Maccarage.

Ending up in the Tau Empire should be the best possible option for most of us who treasure peace and would only enjoy such atrocities happening to their plastic and metal toys. But there are always people who would love to go out for some adventures. I would want to explore the 40k universe myself, although I must say, I would like to represent the Tau instead of the Imperium, because the crisis suits are just cool.

Green-is-best
12-07-2010, 16:27
I'd rather live in Startrek. Can that be a choice?

Corrupted
12-07-2010, 17:01
Why have these imaginations when we can play Rogue Trader RPG and BE whatever we want ( mostly ) ?

But If I could choose even little for my "history" in 40k ( Planet, possessions ) than I would choose 40k universe.

Vesica
12-07-2010, 17:06

For the sole reason that my death their wouldn't be as worthless as it would be here.

Not to mention the fact that any man who lays down his life for the Emperor ever truly dies.

Clockwork-Knight
12-07-2010, 17:43
Your death there would especially be absolutely worthless, dumb, and extremly painful, if you're lucky.
And you will fight for absolutely nothing worthwile, since humanity in Wh40k will destroy itself, once all of mankind becomes a fully psychic race, and is then powerless to defend themselves against enslavers, psychneuin, warp vampires and chaos daemons.

In fact, you'll just be brained by a common ork boy in passing while they're looking for the good fight.
If you're unlucky, a bunch of squigs eats your legs up to your head while you're still alive and conscious, because that makes orks laugh and is funny.

Coltaine
12-07-2010, 22:01
Your death there would especially be absolutely worthless, dumb, and extremly painful, if you're lucky.
And you will fight for absolutely nothing worthwile, since humanity in Wh40k will destroy itself, once all of mankind becomes a fully psychic race, and is then powerless to defend themselves against enslavers, psychneuin, warp vampires and chaos daemons.

In fact, you'll just be brained by a common ork boy in passing while they're looking for the good fight.
If you're unlucky, a bunch of squigs eats your legs up to your head while you're still alive and conscious, because that makes orks laugh and is funny.

You're very negative arent you. Each to there own i guess. Just for the record, regardless of the choice people made, i never judged, nor flamed. Dont forget, not everyone likes what YOU like. Some people want different things. If all you're going to do is spout off the likelyhood of a violent death and try to make me change my mind when i know full well what 40k is then welcome to my /ignore list pal coz you arent saying anything worth listening to. =)

ODINM4
12-07-2010, 23:49
nz isnt all its cracked up to be mate we live there afterall.nz is slowly turning into the usa,every year more and more of the american culture can be found here :wtf:nz was at its best in the 80s early 90s,now we are mere lap dogs for the japs ,chinese and americans etc.

one thing nz has over the rest of the world is we all get on with each other no matter what colour or creed you are from.

at least in the 40k verse you have a purpose OTHER THAN THAT BELOW

the only purpose i serve at the moment is making babies oh and making tax for the govt

Green-is-best
12-07-2010, 23:50
You're very negative arent you. Each to there own i guess. Just for the record, regardless of the choice people made, i never judged, nor flamed. Dont forget, not everyone likes what YOU like. Some people want different things. If all you're going to do is spout off the likelyhood of a violent death and try to make me change my mind when i know full well what 40k is then welcome to my /ignore list pal coz you arent saying anything worth listening to. =)

LOL. I always love these threads. The people who say they'd throw the dice or spin the wheel or whatever are all the same folks who think they'd be knights in medieval Europe or samurai in feudal Japan when the confluence of chance and personality probably mean they'd be doing whatever the temporally altered equivalent of what they're doing now.

I mean really, if somebody isn't some kind of special forces nutter now, what makes them think they'd be some kind of special forces nutter in the future?

Maybe its just the difference between being an old fart and still being a kid, but I realized sometime in the 90s when I was a teenager that I'd definitely be one of the people who had their heads bashed in during one of those Space Marine "find the craziest mofos on the feral planet" gatherings. And that's assuming I even showed up. I'd probably be spending that day playing Warhammer 80k.

Shovah
13-07-2010, 04:57
There. And if I was able to choose my whereabouts, it would be in the Tau Empire working as a Gue'vesa. If I can't get there myself, I would try to enroll in the Imperial Guard and be shipped the war front and then switch sides. Risky business, but all in the Greater Good!

Shovah

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-07-2010, 05:23
There. And if I was able to choose my whereabouts, it would be in the Tau Empire working as a Gue'vesa. If I can't get there myself, I would try to enroll in the Imperial Guard and be shipped the war front and then switch sides. Risky business, but all in the Greater Good!

Shovah

You know you could go off and work as a mercenary right here and it would be about the same. Except for the lack of alien overlords who regard you as second class cannon fodder. (Ignoring the fact that the odds of you getting shipped to an active front with the Tau is practically zero)

I fail to see any redeeming features in 40k that would make you want to actually live there. It's not a nice setting. It's based on chewing up people and killing them (if they are lucky!), and it's seemingly filled with insane fanatics of one persuasion or another who will like nothing better than to demonstrate to you just how wrong you are about X, Y or Z, and preferably doing so in a way that involves a lot of pain.

Clockwork-Knight
13-07-2010, 05:29
nz isnt all its cracked up to be mate we live there afterall.nz is slowly turning into the usa,every year more and more of the american culture can be found here :wtf:nz was at its best in the 80s early 90s,now we are mere lap dogs for the japs ,chinese and americans etc.

one thing nz has over the rest of the world is we all get on with each other no matter what colour or creed you are from.

at least in the 40k verse you have a purpose OTHER THAN THAT BELOW

the only purpose i serve at the moment is making babies oh and making tax for the govtNewsflash. That's the exactly same thing every citizen does in the Imperium. The only difference is that they all go to church every day to worship a mummy for a few hours, and then sleep, while waking up and working till you go to church again. :eyebrows:

If you want to fight in the Imperial Guard and be massacred in the very first second, you enter the planetary defense forces and get noticed by your supervisors that you're a very good soldier. Only then are you shipped away.
But if you're not a good soldier today, then you're not going to be a good soldier in the 41st millennium.

Losers in the real world will stay losers in Warhammer 40k.

Ah, the younger they are...

Coltaine
13-07-2010, 09:28
And winners will always be winners in either setting. You make the mistake of thinking you know who or what ive done in life. And im sure if you ask Odin what his proffession is, i bet you i know what he will say too. Not all the world is soft.
So please, dont resort to insults. This was a nice thread about peoples opinions of where they would like to choose to live. Not the "b***h at people who dont agree with you " thread.

Clockwork-Knight
13-07-2010, 09:49
i know full well what 40k is then welcome to my /ignore list pal coz you arent saying anything worth listening to. =)
So much for the ignore list. :evilgrin:
Really, delusional thinking about how nice it must be to live in a fictional universe where there's only war and brutality... Makes me crack up for real.
First, you talk big about how everybody who's not as deluded as you must be weak, then you can't take it when you're being called on.

How droll. :cheese:

ODINM4
13-07-2010, 20:40
Our world is allmost the same as the 40k verse,most of the sheep on this rock worship some form of god same as 40k,hey there is only war on this rock too .the only difference between the worlds is here we are a divided race,eg black, white ,yellow ,red brown, whatever ,muslim ,jew,christian so on and so on .in 40k most of humannity works towards a common goal survival thats what they fight for ,there isnt a cause in this world at the moment worth dying for or worth fighting for.

Thats the draw card for me in the 40k verse every human has to work hard for the race to survive .here we work hard to get new tvs and stuff we dont really need .

The Inevitable One
13-07-2010, 20:53
You know you could go off and work as a mercenary right here and it would be about the same. Except for the lack of alien overlords who regard you as second class cannon fodder. (Ignoring the fact that the odds of you getting shipped to an active front with the Tau is practically zero)

I think that is why he said "try". The odds of you being shipped to a Tau front is not zero. If anything it would be about 10-15% if you lived smack down in the middle of the Imperium and if you lived further west you would most likely get a 40-50% chance, the other percentage deals with the Tyranids and small warbands of Eldar or Chaos.

Clockwork-Knight
13-07-2010, 21:31
Our world is allmost the same as the 40k verse,most of the sheep on this rock worship some form of god same as 40k,hey there is only war on this rock too .the only difference between the worlds is here we are a divided race,eg black, white ,yellow ,red brown, whatever ,muslim ,jew,christian so on and so on .in 40k most of humannity works towards a common goal survival thats what they fight for ,there isnt a cause in this world at the moment worth dying for or worth fighting for.

Thats the draw card for me in the 40k verse every human has to work hard for the race to survive .here we work hard to get new tvs and stuff we dont really need .That's exactly the same thing that every human in Wh40k is doing too. They also want some tvs and stuff they don't really need (and won't get in 99 of 100 times, unless they're the subjects of the Tau), because working hard and praying to a god of eternal hatred, intolerance, technophobia, stagnation and malice sititing on a golden throne on a somewhere distant world that they will never see in their life all the time when they're not eating, working or sleeping makes many of them go crazy and worship other gods of bloodshed and carnage, treachery and delusions, stagnation and defiance, and sensation and oblivion, just because it's different.

Also, people are still distinguished from which planet or even which region of a world they hail from, and slavery exists on most planets, with superior men of noble birth or a high prestigious position in the Ecclessiarchy keeping the likes of you as lowly slaves who can be beaten or even killed of whenever it suits their whims.
At least, as a servitor, your brain's been cut so that you don't have free will and consciousnes anymore. As a slave, you're as lowly as a simple machine, but without the advantage of feeling no pain anymore.
Then, most people are brainwashed into loving the Emperor, and those who don't are gruesomely tortured to death, because each life is unimportant, and even if you worship the Emperor, a few evern more religious nutjobs might think that you don't worship the Emperor strongly enough and burn for your perceived lack of faith.

You're allowed to be an atheist here in the real world. You are allowed to return home, to buy luxury items.

In 40k, your arms will be torn off so that you can bleed to death slowly and painfully as is the treatment for non-followers of the Emperor by anybody who finds out that you don't work 12 hours in a factory while praising the Emperor non-stop, while expecting no payment. And if you don't learn to love the leash and whip by your ecclessiastic masters who dwell in luxus unimaginable to you, then you'll be turned into a lobotomized cyborg slave.

The fact that you're actually wasting your time playing Warhammer 40k, possibly reading a few novels from Black Library and are using the internet proves that you have more freedom and that your life is infinitely better than you'd ever get in Wh40k.

Humanity in Wh40k is beaten, whipped, raped and agonised into eternal non-thankful and ultimately futile work, where they try to stop the re-emergence of unchecked psykers like in the Age of Strife, and which are already opening more and more warp rifts from which daemons and even more horrible things in the Empyrean are spilling through. That's not counting the alien monsters who are all eating humans for breakfast while they're slowly digested consciously.

And if you're not defending the Imperium, then you're some pathetic hive world inhabitant or agriworld peasent who can only hope to live an uneventful life, because your actions contribute nothing really for the ultimate survival of mankind, and you'd be completely worthless anyway.

Oh yeah, of course, some might say that they could become an Astartes or an Inquisitor, but if they're still playing a nerdy wargame about plastic or tin space knights and other make-believe thing, then they're not ruthless, murderous or vicious enough. Such people who do have those qualities would be (non-glamorous) secret agents and professional killers, who don't play with a childish hobby, as everybody does on this message boards.

Eetion
13-07-2010, 21:44
Could I do half and half?

1 week at home at work in my normal life... then 1 week of brutal lifethreatening combat or backbreaking menial labour just so I get a nioce break from the missus.

ODINM4
13-07-2010, 22:27
Been there done that

Hertic Bane
13-07-2010, 23:15
i would choice the 40k universe over this one. although i would be dead in a matter of years. i would die happy (or eaten by nids)

Coltaine
13-07-2010, 23:17
Clockwork, stop trying to tell people what choice to make. We get it, 40k is hard and brutal, and YOU dont want to go there. I still do though. Even with all your BS ranting. So stop trying to tell people not to go. If we were actually given that chance that is.

The more you rant, the more of a tool you look like. Close to 30% of people posting in this thread prefer the idea of 40k over our time, and of the 70% that wanna stay, your the only one crying about those of us who want to go. And none of the 30% that would prefer to leave care that you want to stay, its your choice after all.

spetswalshe
14-07-2010, 00:01
Actually, I think Clockwork is probably annoyed at the way you've turned what should have been a strongly-held opinion clash into some pathetic 'me strong, you weak!' argument, complete with 'you're stupid so I'm not gonna listen!' post. Or it could just be me.

there isnt a cause in this world at the moment worth dying for or worth fighting for.

So, things like justice, love, family, compassion, freedom, equality and belief aren't worth fighting or dying for? Because all of those things exist in our world, and all are in constant peril.

What you appear to mean is, that you can't physically fight some representation of the above things, in the way we believe our predecessors did when they shot up Nazis or the Kaiser or Redcoats or Crusaders or whoever we're demonising this week. Violence is glamorous, and men in particular have a tendency to feel more comfortable with an enemy we can kill.

Everyone wants to stand up and shout 'FREEDOM!' in a single, life-defining last stand. There is nothing glorious or attention-drawing in dying a bitter, overworked cancer research scientist who's given his life to his work. But, as someone much smarter than me once said, dying for something is easy; living for something is much, much harder. Any coward can be a suicide bomber, but only a truly brave and tough person could live eighty years devoted to doing good, getting knocked down and jumping straight back into the fight.

And winners will always be winners in either setting. You make the mistake of thinking you know who or what ive done in life. And im sure if you ask Odin what his proffession is, i bet you i know what he will say too. Not all the world is soft.

Not all the world separates people into 'soft' and 'hard' like some kind of juvenile Nazi wannabe. And for the record, my last job was as a nursery assistant at a pre-school, caring for children between 0-5 years old. And I have long hair and look kind of like a girl. I'm also rock hard and when I punch a tree all wildlife in a fifty-yard radius dies.

ODINM4
14-07-2010, 00:12
NICE NICE ,WELL I WONT FIGHT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN MY FAMILY ,SEEN AS IM IN NZ CHANCES OF ME EVERY HAVING TO ARE REMOTE TO NONE UNLIKE THE REST OF THE WORLD ,LOOK AT ALL THESE OTHER COUNTRIES BORDERING EACH OTHER AT EACH OTHERS THROATS,OUR CLOSEST NEIGHBOUR IS AUZZIE NOPE NO THREAT THERE ,OHH LOOK THE ISLANDS ARE CLOSE NOPE NO THREAT THERE EITHER ,THE ONLY THREAT TO NZ WAY OF LIFE IS ............A SHEEP UP RISING :wtf:

THE WEST IS ONLY IN PERIL BECAUSE WE ARE NOSSY PARKERS WHO LIKE TO TELL OTHER PEOPLE HOW TO LIVE.

REMEBER THE OLD MEN OF OUR WORLD WOULD HAPPILY SEND US AWAY TO DIE FOR THEM /ONLY SO THEY CAN MAKE MORE MONEY /JUST LIKE 40K WE ARE ACTUALLY REALLY CLOSE TO THE 40K WAY OF LIFE ,THE IMPERIUM /USA EMPIRE VS THE XENOS/CHAOS SCUM/ANYONE WITH A DIFFERENT VEIW IS THE ENEMY

Coltaine
14-07-2010, 00:15
[QUOTE=spetswalshe;4818851
Not all the world separates people into 'soft' and 'hard' like some kind of juvenile Nazi wannabe. And for the record, my last job was as a nursery assistant at a pre-school, caring for children between 0-5 years old. And I have long hair and look kind of like a girl. I'm also rock hard and when I punch a tree all wildlife in a fifty-yard radius dies.[/QUOTE]

You are another making assumptions that you know me. Im not Juvenile, nor a wanna be Nazi. I actually find that insulting, especially so since my grandparents were forced to flee Poland or be exterminated. I think you owe me an apology.

And I can agree, not all the world is hard or soft. That was a fault of mine by answering without really thinking. Hard men can have familys and things they cherish that would make them want to stay here. And thats kool.

Equality/freedom/and all that other stuff you listed..... Thats not what id call worth fighting for. Imo, none of it truly exists now anyway. You arent free, you are dictated by your Govt how you should live, what you should say. None of us are truly free. There is no equality.... ask a Somalian if they think the world is equal. Ask a Palastinian if the world is equal. We are humans, we will never be equal. etc etc. So i guess I agree with Odin, that there is no ideal worth fighting for in our time.

Anyway, arguing on the internet is dumb. I want to go to the 40k Universe. My 2cents. The end.

SharpSilver
14-07-2010, 00:19
Depends under what circumstance. If I was going to live in the 41st Millennium, then it would have to be a decent role. Not a scrounger in the Hive Cities.

Maybe a tribesman surviving on Fenris, that would be awesome... you can see where that would lead :P

The pure, crisp and clean Air of Fenris > the Deathly Smog of any sprawling City planet.

The SkaerKrow
14-07-2010, 16:33
I'd rather not exist in a hellspawned nightmare of war, oppression and killer alien monstrosities.

I threw "Killer Alien Monstrosities" in there so that you'd know I meant 40k. :p

Logan_uc
14-07-2010, 16:52
real universe all the way, i bet theres no football in 40k (the real one that you use your feet and a ball, not the hands and that egg shaped thing:wtf:), and so i couldnt live in a place lke that, oh and no decent drinks or women to talk of so not a really good place, plus the tortured existence.

flota
14-07-2010, 19:14
we are already living in the 40k universe is just matter of time before the imperium find us :p...:evilgrin:

50/50
i agree, there is no greater cause in this world, serve your gov, have a family.. etc
but in truth we are living the 40k reality, third world countries are the hivewolrders and the first ones are the rich dudes that live in tall spires
we just need a guy that unites the west and you got your imperium :(

Green-is-best
14-07-2010, 20:25
There is no greater cause in this world, serve your gov, have a family.. (

I'm getting really sick of people saying this in this thread. Even though most of us live comfortable lives in the West, this world is still very much on fire. The days of the great patriotic war between nation-states may be over, but there are still plenty of noble causes to fight for and even more noble causes to work for. Go protect refugees in Africa, help rebuild Afghanistan, hell, just do something in your community. This world is far from perfect.

If all you all are looking to do is to be some kind of killer, well there's plenty of that to do here too, unfortunately.

ODINM4
14-07-2010, 21:06
all we want is to travel the stars mate .

afghanistan can drown in opium for all i care ,africa can look after its self its big enough why should we help ?you think they would help us when where down and out no!theyd try and finish us off .

may the emp rise up:cheese:

spetswalshe
14-07-2010, 21:30
Equality/freedom/and all that other stuff you listed..... Thats not what id call worth fighting for. Imo, none of it truly exists now anyway.

Which is exactly why people must fight for it. The fact that you do not believe equality, freedom and justice are worth fighting for, even when your immediate family have been victims of them, is more insulting than I ever could be.

afghanistan can drown in opium for all i care ,africa can look after its self its big enough why should we help ?you think they would help us when where down and out no!theyd try and finish us off .

may the emp rise up:cheese:

If you couldn't care less about Afghanistan, I would suggest the idea of joining the Guard and being sent to fight tentaclerapists on a planet you've never even heard of might make you facepalm a little.

Maybe a tribesman surviving on Fenris, that would be awesome... you can see where that would lead :P

Even if it did give me a one-in-a-bajillion chance of joining the hairy fraternity of the Space Wolves, I think I'd probably rather enjoy the crisp, clean air of Macragge (assuming the pederasty thing is a myth). Also I like wearing shirts, which isn't really how the Kegger Marines do things there from what I hear.

808thMyrmidons
14-07-2010, 21:34
why because we are the generation with out a cause ,what do we have to fight for ??

thats why i'd go to the 40k universe.
i might be treated like **** in the guard or the pdf but this wandering life we live in just gets to me.

Green-is-best
14-07-2010, 21:44
the Kegger Marines

Changing my vote to 40k universe.

dragonet111
14-07-2010, 22:03
This universe because playing Earth 40000 would be lame:D

flota
15-07-2010, 02:30
all we want is to travel the stars mate .

quoted for truth
amen to that bro

Corax
15-07-2010, 07:08
:eek: I wouldn't even go on a day trip to the 40k universe, much less live there.

I've been reading Enforcer, the Shira Calpurnia Adeptus Arbites series lately, and have come to the conclusion that no (real, fallible) human being could actually live in that society without getting busted for some sort of thought-crime every five minutes (luckily, they can only execute you once). I'm not sure who I would be more scared of, the forces of the various enemies of the Imperium, or the Imperium itself. Probably the latter, as it would be the more immediate threat.

Karl MkVI
15-07-2010, 21:56
@Coltaine; why, oh why, did you come onto this thread with seemingly the express intention of insulting/aggravating everyone, whilst simultaneously making yourself look like a total dolt?

you'd already be a servitor by now. :)

I still maintain, however, that if offered the chance to be a chapter master/fleet commander or something similar, then I'd be tempted. but then, I am a glory junky, and I love a good fight, so I would think that. but be a 'regular' Imperial citizen? no. no no no. no way.

Corax
16-07-2010, 00:41
I still maintain, however, that if offered the chance to be a chapter master/fleet commander or something similar, then I'd be tempted. but then, I am a glory junky, and I love a good fight, so I would think that. but be a 'regular' Imperial citizen? no. no no no. no way.

Therein lies the problem. If you don't know what role you are likely to end up with, you would have to think very carefully about what you might find yourself in the middle of.

I might be okay with being in the 40k universe if I was guaranteed that I would be a greenkeeper on Iax (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Iax). :D

Hunger
16-07-2010, 08:01
I have long hair and look kind of like a girl. I'm also rock hard and when I punch a tree all wildlife in a fifty-yard radius dies.

I almost fell out my chair when I read this! What a hilarously brilliant image!

afghanistan can drown in opium for all i care ,africa can look after its self its big enough why should we help ?you think they would help us when where down and out no!theyd try and finish us off.

Enoch Powell? Is that you? What a spectacularly, unbelievably disgusting opinion to have. Perhaps when you are a grown up you'll understand the sensitivity of global politics and appreciate that your ability to purchase the luxury items you take for granted, such as the computer you're using and the toy soldiers you play with, comes at the price of their quality of life.

And winners will always be winners in either setting.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with this statement Coltaine. Tell me, how's the air in the sewage tunnels below Manufactorum #3641?

Corax
16-07-2010, 08:44
I'm also rock hard and when I punch a tree all wildlife in a fifty-yard radius dies.

Did you train for many years to learn this technique, or is it a mutant power?

Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

Memnos
16-07-2010, 09:00
Did you train for many years to learn this technique, or is it a mutant power?

Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

Given the choice between living in the 40K universe and this one, I'd pick this one any day.

There are exceptions. The worlds of the Ultramarines are based on simple good governing techniques: No hive worlds, generally democratic with benevolent autocratic leanings and a well-run bureaucracy. I'd fight to defend that world.

Sadly, the Tyranids invaded to destroy the one great series of worlds the Imperium has. Grimdark wins again and the single, guttering candle of reason and nobility in the 40K universe finds that it's in the middle of a rainstorm.

Wouldn't want to live on a Tau world or Eldar. In fact, if told I had to go to that universe, but that I'd end up being a cog in a machine, I'd say 'Make me an Ork'. Not because I like fighting, but because I'd be near immune to pain and too simplistic in thought to remember what I'd lost. Plus - Bonus! Simplistic enough in thought I could actively be happy with my lot.

ODINM4
18-07-2010, 21:40
hunger said :Enoch Powell? Is that you? What a spectacularly, unbelievably disgusting opinion to have. Perhaps when you are a grown up you'll understand the sensitivity of global politics and appreciate that your ability to purchase the luxury items you take for granted, such as the computer you're using and the toy soldiers you play with, comes at the price of their quality of life.

im 30 mate and wont die in your american/uk wars of aggression .if your going to take on the taliban at least take out their ablity to make money ie opium/drug production but we dont why cause we are soft,and bow down to the taliban by not targeting their money maker ,smart way to lose a war ah

i have grown up mate you havnt cause you belive what they tell you .you probally watch fox news too dont ya hunger

Coltaine
19-07-2010, 00:56
Hunger : how do ANY of the luxury items i have effect in ANY possible way the quality of life of the average Afgan ? Please explain.
You're telling someone to grow up, when you a: dont know a thing about them & b: obviously dont know a thing about the world either.
I can assure you, I dont take anything I have for granted, but im also not nieve enough to think that me having a computer is at the expense of some foriegner from a 3rd world country.... i mean cmon man, serious ?

I dont know what country your from, but at a guess, im gonna go with a Western Country, probably the US..... L2Watchnewsoutsideyourcountry pal.

Clockwork-Knight
19-07-2010, 01:07
i have grown up mate you havnt cause you belive what they tell you .you probally watch fox news too dont ya hungerAnd that's why you want to live in a fictional universe with space knights and ninja elven clowns.

ODINM4
19-07-2010, 01:21
clockwork yes i would live there if the chance was given so i could see the stars ,dosnt mean im a newb. cant i have my own opinion clockwork are you a right wing nutter :wtf:

Coltaine
19-07-2010, 01:56
And that's why you want to live in a fictional universe with space knights and ninja elven clowns.

uhm, yes, thats what this thread asked of people. WoW man, some people..... Tool.

Its REALLY funny how the people that answered yes to go to 40k are all good with this thread, but a minority of the no people just cant get it through their thick heads that some people dont think like them. And that because we dont agree with their opinion, that we are all somehow either Not grown up, deluded, or some other variation.

I have no issue with peoples choices to stay or go. Infact, im glad some people want to stay ( im looking at Clockwork-Gimp, and Hunger here ), so that the future make believe world will be 2 less ******.

Serious, you guys need to get over it. stop wah wah-ing.

Craftworld
19-07-2010, 08:10
Man, this thread took a nose-dive.

Why are politics and ignorance always worming their way into Warseer threads?

On topic, I think it would be pretty neat to visit a Craftworld, or Terra. You never said we would have to live on some agriworld where Dark Eldar make nightly raids, or a world about to be munched on by Tyranids. :p

MvS
19-07-2010, 10:04
In an effort to pull this thread away from opinion-politics and growing vitriol, I voted for prefering this universe.

The 40K universe is cool only insofar as it's a dream and that we are separated from the drudgery, misery and unspeakable horror of that reality because, frankly, for us it's just a setting for game playing.

The vast, vast majority of us, if we were suddenly dropped on any 40K world, would wind up beggars, or enslaved to whatever industrial complex we find ourselves within, or killed for unwittingly breaking a law, or murdered or eaten alive or any number of other abominable things we could even imagine. We would be complete fish out of water.

How many on Warseer would want to be forced to work all day and most of the night until we die in filthy city-sized factories that would make the very worst of our world's sweat shops look like holiday resorts?

Or how many would want to live a life in the bowels of a massive space-freighter, never seeing the light of day, working like a slave until we die from exhaustion or are eaten or taken as sex toys by the vile mutant scum (and worse) that hide even deeper in the ship's guts?

Or maybe we think we would survive in an Underhive as a ganger? Well unless some of us are currently experienced members of a successful gang somewhere in the Drug Belt of South America or perhaps in Somalia I doubt we would last long in that dog-eat-dog, utterly cut-throat and hyper-violent environment, however 'tough' we like to think we are. In fact, some of us may be ex-military types, and although this may help in some cases, it's still worth remembering that even those in the military have some sort of normality to their lives - so maybe homes to go to when they're on leave, or family out there waiting for them, or at least a code of conduct which means that your commanding officers won't rape you or slit your throat in the night because they want to steal your boots. The Underhive never lets up. The threats are constant and trust is a premium very, very few could afford (if we want to live, that is).

Or maybe we think that life as an Imperial Guardsmen would be cool? Well you'd only get in if you have some sort of military understanding / experience or perhaps if you're in the 'right' place at the 'right' time. From that point you will be treated in a manner that makes some of the worst excesses of Full Metal Jacket seem positively tame. You will be brutalised and sent to warzones unlike anything we have ever seen in earth's wars, with not just the possibility of mutilation and death, but also mind and soul destroying creatures and entities out to get you.

Even if you survive you exist permanently in the shadow of your Commissar who may shoot you at a moment's notice for any infraction of the many, many Imperial laws, or even just because you seem less than enthusiastic, or else you may get eradicated by the Inquisition because you've 'seen too much'.

And what of the Ecclesiarchy? There seem to be quite a few here on Warseer who are quite verbal in their dislike of religions and their administrations, and even cringe away from them as being draconian, ignorant and positively dangerous.

Well welcome to the Imperium! You're now in a system that is more successfully all of those things than anything we've had in the history of mankind up until the present. You'd better get used to shouting formulaic prayers and banging your face on the floor in front of any number of clerics, relics, buildings and so on. If you don't show 'proper piety', and by that I mean fanatical adherence to the extraordinarily superstitious, repressive, supremely intolerant, utterly lethal and frankly backwards Ecclesiarchy and its teachings, you're dead, or worse, you're an arco-flagellant.

If the 'magic' of this thread's question was different, and we could transpose ourselves to the 40K universe with all the local and Imperial knowledge we need to survive, along with resources, contacts and some position higher than the countless billions of 'normal' Imperial humans, then perhaps the decision would be more interesting. Life would still be dangerous on a scale and in a way we wouldn't ever really see in our own world, but at least we would have some of the experience, skills and, frankly, finances to survive.

Hunger
19-07-2010, 11:05
im 30 mate

I'm sorry, I just assumed you are a child because of your terrible grammar and astounding ignorance of the nature of human affairs. And I'm not your mate.

Hunger : how do ANY of the luxury items i have effect in ANY possible way the quality of life of the average Afgan ? Please explain.?

Its pretty straightforward; In order for money to have any value, there has to be a finite amount of it. When some people have lots of money, it is necessary for others to have very little in order that it keeps its value. The average weekly wage across the majority of the world amounts to less than you'd pay for a Big Mac, precisely so that McDonalds can charge 3 for one and we in the West can afford that as small change. If you'd like some more information you could attend the Economics & Globalisation course I run at Bristol University?

In any case, I'm now going to exit this discussion and leave you both raging in your ignorance.

Askil the Undecided
19-07-2010, 11:19
I'm sorry, I just assumed you are a child because of your terrible grammar and astounding ignorance of the nature of human affairs. And I'm not your mate.

Its pretty straightforward; In order for money to have any value, there has to be a finite amount of it. When some people have lots of money, it is necessary for others to have very little in order that it keeps its value. The average weekly wage across the majority of the world amounts to less than you'd pay for a Big Mac, precisely so that McDonalds can charge 3 for one and we in the West can afford that as small change. If you'd like some more information you could attend the Economics & Globalisation course I run at Bristol University?

In any case, I'm now going to exit this discussion and leave you both raging in your ignorance.

Dignified and direct, not stooping to outright insults but not backing down from frank discussion, the ideal Warseer poster.

I appluad Hunger for this post.

Lord-Gen Bale Chambers
19-07-2010, 11:33
[QUOTE=Coltaine;4835013]I can assure you, I dont take anything I have for granted, but im also not nieve enough to think that me having a computer is at the expense of some foriegner from a 3rd world country.... i mean cmon man, serious ?
QUOTE]

There is a reason why most of the goods used in the west are produced overseas. 3rd World countries own a price-advantage when it comes to producing many of those items. The majority of them don't have to worry about paying workers well and safe working conditions. The west receives cheap and/or affordable merchandise that increases our value of living at the expense of the workers in those countries.

Recently there were strikes at some factories in China. The workers wanted better wages and safer working conditions. If that continues to happen across China, they will lose some of their price advantage. We may see companies pulling out for other countries or even returning to the West. I 100% agree with Hungers previous post.

Back on topic, I voted this universe. I would only visit 40k as an outside observer if I could do so unnoticed and unharmed. Living there wouldn't be fun.

MvS
19-07-2010, 12:39
Okay seriously people, Hunger's noteworthy response notwithstanding, this is becoming a P&R discussion rather than a light-hearted chat about whether or not we would like to live in a science fantasy universe.

Let's stay on topic before this thread vanishes.

Hunger
19-07-2010, 14:59
My apologies for pulling the thread off topic - and I ask that mods do not close it down, because the original topic is an interesting discussion.

So far most opinions have been expressed about the more dangerous places and soul destroying jobs, but lets not forget that the Imperium is a diverse place. There are bound to be pleasant worlds with interesting and enjoyable jobs.

Though, given the constant war and oppressive nature of Imperial rule, there is a high probability of finding yourself in a ruthless underhive gang, doomed Guard regiment or servitor-grade job, there is also a chance you might find a role in society that is not dangerous and requires skills that you already possess.

How about being a park ranger on a beautiful Agri-world? Expert on fine wines and luxury foods in the Governer's court? Talent scout for a strip club on a pleasure world?

Edit: Thank you Askil. Ego demands that I put that in my signature.

Clockwork-Knight
19-07-2010, 15:27
If anybody could choose, then everybody would be either a high lord, a governor somewhere on a planet that won't ever see any problems for the next 10.000 years or something like that. Anything below that, and you might as well acchieve that in real life.
But you can't choose where and when you are born in the real world, so why should anybody be able to choose a better life in the fictional world created by Games Workshop?

So, the point remains that only a complete and pathetic loser who for example has to insult others for not being as deluded as himself would want to have a "better" life in a fictional world with space knights and ninja elven clowns.

ODINM4
19-07-2010, 20:16
ID GO FOR THE SIGHTS AND TO SEE THE STARS .:evilgrin:or to work until i drop dead

MvS
19-07-2010, 20:30
Aha!

Freighter worker. Watch out for the lonely mutants...! :D

ODINM4
19-07-2010, 20:39
the mutant with 3 boobs off total recall:D

MvS
19-07-2010, 21:06
:)

Wrong setting...

ODINM4
19-07-2010, 21:10
ok so do you think we could last 24 hrs in the underhive or in the bowels of a star ship

MvS
19-07-2010, 21:47
Well, it depends on whether we're the heroes of a story written by a Black Library author. If we are, then of course! If not, well I'd say no. Probably not. And I say that as double-hard bastard.

*cough*