PDA

View Full Version : Killing Blow vs Steam Tank

ce13
11-07-2010, 04:18
So I'm playing and my opponent says that killing blow partially works against my steam tank. KB won't kill me outright with a 6 but that all 6's will ignore my armour save. Is that true? This is standard KB not Heroic killing blow.

Kalandros
11-07-2010, 04:33
This is not true, Killing Blow does nothing on models not affected by it.

Zaustus
11-07-2010, 05:33
Either all of Killing Blow works, or none of it. In this case, none of it since "Killing Blow is only effective against infantry, cavalry and war beasts..." (RBRB p.72). The Steam Tank is a chariot, and thus immune to KB.

Note that if the attacker has Heroic Killing Blow, then the STank can indeed be one-shotted.

Hey, this was my first time quoting the Really Big Red Book! Cool. :D

RanaldLoec
11-07-2010, 07:47
Just to back up zaustus heroic killing blow can kill the steam tank. Killing blow does nothing against the steam tank.

danny-d-b
11-07-2010, 07:53
question- I've not got the book yet but how do you get this heroic killing blow?

tdc500
11-07-2010, 07:59
by taking the bretonnian virtue of heroism ^^

RanaldLoec
11-07-2010, 08:06
question- I've not got the book yet but how do you get this heroic killing blow?

There is a khorne demon character that gets it as well.

Tae
11-07-2010, 08:36
One of the magic terrain features (Nehekharan Sphinx iirc) that allows a character to 'challenge' a spirit (take an I test basically). If you pass you get a random rule - one of which is HKB.

tarrasque
11-07-2010, 09:57
just wondering can you KB a hero on a dragon? can't find it in the rules

RanaldLoec
11-07-2010, 11:20
Killing blow works against any man size model so yes you can killing blow the high elf, Karl franz person on a dragon.

But you can't killing blow the dragon unless its heroic killing blow.

On a foot note monstrous mounts now add 1 to your armour save like being on a normal mount.

FestHest
11-07-2010, 22:11
In the rules it states, under Ridden Monster, that the whole model changes to troop type "Monster" and thus cannot be killing blow'ed. I know this sounds week, but I can't find anything stating they can.
The same is true for Monsterous Cavalry. (Both on p105 BRB)

The killing blow rule doesn't work against: Monsters, monsterous infantery/calvalry/beasts, chariots.

Arkh
11-07-2010, 22:42
pg. 105 - Ridden Monsters and Special Rules: Specials rules that apply to either the monster or rider do not apply to both unless specifically stated in the list on page 82. Immunity to Killing Blow is a special rule granted to monsters, chariots, etc...

FestHest
11-07-2010, 22:52
So how do the Monsterous cavalry fit into those rules ? It especially says it don't follow the rules for Ridden Monsters.
And if you can killing blow the ridder, where is the reason to include it in the list of exceptions as the monsterous cavalry is removed if the rider dies ?

Arkh
11-07-2010, 23:15
So how do the Monsterous cavalry fit into those rules ? It especially says it don't follow the rules for Ridden Monsters.
And if you can killing blow the ridder, where is the reason to include it in the list of exceptions as the monsterous cavalry is removed if the rider dies ?

Characters on Monstrous Cav mounts can not be killing blowed. With the change to how monstrous cav are treated (combining statlines) the killing blow immunity is granted to the rider, just as it is for standard monstrous cav.

As you stated yourself, monstrous cav do not follow the rules for ridden monsters, they follow the rules for monstrous cav.

It is not the most logical thing in the world... but that's just an oddity that is going to have to be accepted in order to make heroes riding monstrous mounts a more viable option than it ever has been in the past.

FestHest
11-07-2010, 23:59
Thx for the answer, and clarification :)
I was wondering about the monsterous cavl (still is) but at least now Ill play them as you stated.

The wierd thing is, chariot mounts follow the Ridden monster rule and thereby able to be killing blow'ed but chariots without characters cannot, thoug they are still "ridden/steered" by infantery troops :)

Arkh
12-07-2010, 00:43
yeah it's strange... but that's the way KB worked against chariots with characters and chariots without characters in 7th ed.

If the rider can be targeted separate of the thing he is riding, he can be KB