kaintxu
11-07-2010, 13:43
you get LOS so not so easy

xv8
11-07-2010, 13:44
those will scatter thats the bad part

Chaos Undecided
11-07-2010, 14:58
Theres nothing to suggest Pit of Shades scatters nor does the Purple sun unless you misfire it, you just place the template where you want.

Final Transmutation and The Dweller below both have a fair chance of instantly killing the big frog

Ghazbad_Facestompa
11-07-2010, 16:56
Feedback Scroll.

Agnar the Howler
11-07-2010, 17:37
Pit of Shades/Purple Sun are your best bets.

Ultimate Life Form
11-07-2010, 17:40
Who would do such a thing? :eek:

Slann are an endangered species and don't procreate in captivity.

dooombot
11-07-2010, 17:48
Theres nothing to suggest Pit of Shades scatters nor does the Purple sun unless you misfire it, you just place the template where you want.

Final Transmutation and The Dweller below both have a fair chance of instantly killing the big frog

Pit of Shades scatters d6" with the small template, or if you use the large template, 2d6".

You don't just place the template anywhere within range for Purple Sun. It follows the rules for a Magical Vortex.
Purple Sun doesnt' scatter, but you still may come up short if you roll low on the artillary dice to move it. In subsequent magic phases, it moves in a random direction, so unless you get him with it when you first cast, there's no way to know for sure if it'll even come near him.

Chaos Undecided
11-07-2010, 17:53
I'm having a fail at reading day today it seems but the Purple Sun does scatter if you roll a misfire on the initial distance dice

Gaargod
11-07-2010, 19:36
Teclis + Dweller's Below/Pit of Shades/Purple Sun.

Its the only way you will ever do it. Only problem with this of course, is that the Slann will also try to assassinate Teclis with Dweller's Below (or saurus to the face).

diggerydoom
12-07-2010, 00:20
High Elves vs Lizards

Turn 1- Archmage with Book of Hoeth Irresistably casts Pit of Shades: LOS failed, Iniative test failed. Humour ensues.

Nicha11
12-07-2010, 00:24
Won't the Slann get a "look out sir" against these spells?

Agnar the Howler
12-07-2010, 00:27
Won't the Slann get a "look out sir" against these spells?

Yes, but even so they're the best chance you've got at killing him off in a single turn.

soultaker87
12-07-2010, 02:52
you can wait and see if he blows up himself, last game my friend used purple sun with his slann and the next two turns it came right back and killed him.

too bad u ain't playin ogres. worst defeat every for me was an ogre player used fel heart and my slann got a double. the slan ended up taking a wound and no longer being a wizard. :cries:

Gaargod
12-07-2010, 03:24
Yes, but even so they're the best chance you've got at killing him off in a single turn.

No.

New look out sire specifically says shooting attacks. Quite a lot actually.

Never mentions non-template attacks that hit the wizard, and especially not non-shooting attacks.

Also @Soultaker: That's... unusual. Unless he's running a lone slann (in which case, there's different stuff you can do although magic-based death is still the easiest), he'll be using Lore Of Life usually. Which doesn't have much 'i kill myself'. In fact, as it has Throne of Vines and Lifebloom, a slann using it will kill himself less than usual.

If he's on his own (and let's be honest, on a carpet), then yeah it might happen. Still really unlikely though :D

Vsurma
12-07-2010, 06:02
Pit of Shades/Purple Sun are your best bets.

Agreed, the slann gets a LOS from the first 1, after this the unit will possibly be small enough to deny a LOS, if it is not shoot/magic it to below 4 models.

1 template will hit most models in the unit and they have only init2.
Dwellers below is your best bet as it doesn't allow a LOS and kills the slann half the time.

As for LOS that is up for debate but at least around my parts the consensus seems to be that it is allowed against all templates not just shooting.

No one seems to have mentioned cannons, though I am not 100% sure if you get a LOS against it or not, the book says (under cannons) "the bounce of a cannon is treated exactly like a special kind of template"...

Los or not? if not then I guess you can target the slann.

madden
12-07-2010, 06:16
Forget them use the feed back scroll lovely little wizard assasin.

soots
12-07-2010, 06:20
Purple Sun wont do it, you need to be close to him. Dwellers below is still a 4+.

This is going to be my solution to everything Lizardmen.

- Level 2 with Shadow (to make sure of cancelling spells)
- Level 4 mage + Pit of Shades (very high chance he will get it) + Power scroll + 6 dice (very high chance to get Irresistable force)

And he will take a wound on the chin for his efforts (a decent sacrifice)

Magic is absolutely stupid in this edition. Going to wreck the game imo

Vsurma
12-07-2010, 06:35
Pit and purple sun make TG without a life slann a liability, the slann cannot leave the unit and move to a larger one once it becomes small, so it will lose the LOS roll (assuming you play so that it even works for spells)

So I reckon life with TG or no TG and stick the slann in a saurus unit when needed.

kaintxu
12-07-2010, 16:40
No.

New look out sire specifically says shooting attacks. Quite a lot actually.

Never mentions non-template attacks that hit the wizard, and especially not non-shooting attacks.

Also @Soultaker: That's... unusual. Unless he's running a lone slann (in which case, there's different stuff you can do although magic-based death is still the easiest), he'll be using Lore Of Life usually. Which doesn't have much 'i kill myself'. In fact, as it has Throne of Vines and Lifebloom, a slann using it will kill himself less than usual.

If he's on his own (and let's be honest, on a carpet), then yeah it might happen. Still really unlikely though :D

I dont agree with this, i have allready explained in other post, longly and detailled why I think (its my oppinion I can understand why you think your way, so this needs to be cleared by GW) he gets LOS, plus other people have explaines other reason such as magic refering to shotting for hitting killing and so, so for now im playing as if he can get LOS, and my main army is Daemon not LM so i would face them and let the do LOS with no problem, since i think its reasonable and for me RAW says he can

southpaw
12-07-2010, 20:38
Becalming Cogitation make it very difficult to assassinate the Slann with magic if you are hoping for IF, unless you are Teclis or have the book that is.