PDA

View Full Version : ogres 3k, first 8th edition list

SweetLou
11-07-2010, 13:52
im new to this but just got my hands on tonnes of these and am trying to make head of whats good and whats not

skrahg the slaughterer 400

55 knoblars fighters 110
55 knoblars fighters 110

18 bulls, ironfists and handweapons, bellower and standard-750

4 leadbelchers 220
4 leadbelchers 220
2 gorgers 150
2 gorgers 150
2 gorgers 150

my first game is saturday, im hoping the bulls will do well in a large crowd, my friend told me about some horde thing, i remember 18, not sure what it is. the leadbelchers take the flanks, while the gorgers hurt any warmachines they bring and scrag does his thing

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 18:47
the 18 is how may you need to have to get an extra rank of attacks. You technically need 2x the normal rank size, which is 3 for ogres, so 6 for the horde rule. So, each unit gets 55 attacks.

thesheriff

immortal git
11-07-2010, 20:22
ide have to ask where the butchers are, you only need one maybe two but they really will help

thesheriff
11-07-2010, 20:39
Immortal git - He's got a lv.4, that is all you need. Yes, your losing out on some extra channeling attempts, but becuase he only has 2 big units he will be buffering, and because the amount of wizards does not affect power pool, it's just wasted points.

shade3413
11-07-2010, 22:00
Ah but keep in mind in 8th Ogre units can now have multiple buffs on them. He will want to be able to maintain all 3 buffs on his two large units if possible.

immortal git
12-07-2010, 00:17
is scragg a level 4? i was running over his profile in the book tryna find where it said that and couldnt see it, if thats the case ignore me haha

and with ten seconds of me looking at the page again i notice that he is indeed a slaughtermaster.

jesters89
12-07-2010, 00:24
Why are the ogres no permitted to have multiple buffs at the same time? I've not come across this.

Also, someone ought to check this in the BRB (as my LGS was one of the ones that failed to get their shipment due to GW's epic blunder), but I thought in 3k games you were only permitted 4 of any given rare choice. Gorgers are rare, and that list has 6.

If you've got the model, the Rhinox Scrap Launcher is great. Finally, Running the bulls in termedous units like that will result in a tremendous number of attacks being wasted. You will need a frontage of 6 to claim the horde rule. Against a typical rank and file unit you will only receive attacks from about 4 ogres at best. That means you'd receive 12 ogre's attacks totally 36 attacks. Not bad, to be sure, but you have to consider the tremendous flank and difficulty maneuvering such a big unit.

Just something to consider.

J

therisnosaurus
12-07-2010, 02:10
not sure if ogres get a full 3 attacks from the horde rule. Admittedly I don't have the book yet and haven't read the page closely, but the rumor page implies that only one extra rank get 3 attacks, the third only gets 1.

I don't remember that from my skim over the monster section, so I'm probably wrong, but in any case, I think units of 8 ogres in ranks of 4 is plenty. Those units of 18 are very vulnerable to auto-panic attacks, especially with a lack of BSB. they might cream through units themselves, but they can be baited, blocked, flanked and generally messed with too easily.

eyescrossed
12-07-2010, 11:47
Am I right in thinking that it's 25% Lords and 25% Heroes, ie: 50% of your army can be characters?

I think I may have bumped my head.

bubafett
12-07-2010, 12:00
Ok IMO people need to stop posting saying something is wrong or a certain way when they are unsure of whether its right or wrong. Ogres still cannot have multiple buffs on them, nowhere in the FAQ says that they can and in their book states they can only have one. When a army is lead by Skragg gorgers are no longer rares and can be taken as 2 for 1 slot so thats legal as well. Yes ogres get full 3 attacks while at horde formation which is 6 wide.

That being said lets get to the list. I love skragg and have used him alot cuz it was only way to get a lvl4 before and gorgers rock. If your planning on basically 2 big units then i would get a BSB to put into one of the bulls and give him the banner that lets him redirect a spell thats targeted on his unit on a 2+ to a friendly unit within 6" ( i.e. the gnoblars). I would also like to see one of the bull units be ironguts instead since they are way better but thats a matter of opinion. Scraplaunchers are really good now specially at the points they are so maybe try one and see if you like it. And lastly, if tournaments stay the way they have been on the ruling of rhinoxs, I would take 1 or 2 since they are the strongest unit in the game now.

eyescrossed
12-07-2010, 12:02
Literally everyone ignores my posts in the Warhammer Fantasy sections <_<

immortal git
12-07-2010, 12:16
eyes - yeah it is that percentage

eyescrossed
12-07-2010, 12:19
Thank you, immortal git :)

shade3413
12-07-2010, 15:50
You most certainly can have more than one buff as the FAQ does indeed change that very rule you are quoting bubafett. It makes sense too as hex and buff spells work like that for all armies now, as a result they've changed ogre magic to coincide with this change.

thesheriff
12-07-2010, 19:47
@therisnosaurus - You can have 3 supporting attacks per swarm base or bigger in a unit
@jesters89 - Skragg lets you take 2 Gorgers per rare choice, making the list legal

thesheriff

bubafett
12-07-2010, 20:06
shade please quote this FAQ for me as i read through the ogre FAQ and see no mentioning that their spells are now categorized with the BRB buff spells and can have more then one on a unit.

bubafett
12-07-2010, 20:12
ok cant find out how to edit but yea i see it now. DIdnt see that part that said ignore 5th paragraph in gut magic. Thats pretty dang huge for ogres.

Vsurma
12-07-2010, 20:13
im new to this but just got my hands on tonnes of these and am trying to make head of whats good and whats not

skrahg the slaughterer 400

55 knoblars fighters 110
55 knoblars fighters 110

4 leadbelchers 220
4 leadbelchers 220
2 gorgers 150
2 gorgers 150
2 gorgers 150

my first game is saturday, im hoping the bulls will do well in a large crowd, my friend told me about some horde thing, i remember 18, not sure what it is. the leadbelchers take the flanks, while the gorgers hurt any warmachines they bring and scrag does his thing

Best hope you don't get flanked with those larger units, if they do get flanked by something that can win by even a few your likely to fail your ld test to reform and be stuck with 3 ogres hitting.

Perhaps a few more units of gnoblars would help.

You definitely want a mage with a scroll.

shade3413
12-07-2010, 20:52
ok cant find out how to edit but yea i see it now. DIdnt see that part that said ignore 5th paragraph in gut magic. Thats pretty dang huge for ogres.
Please next time don't go accusing others of posting incorrect information... -.-

and on another note, yeah it's pretty damn huge. I think Ogres are one of the armies that have changed the most in the new edition. Initiative rules hurt us but ranks, supporting attacks, gut magic are all positives.

immortal git
13-07-2010, 15:09
to be honest i played ogres for 18 months in 7th ed and never found an army that i couldnt give a run for its money