PDA

View Full Version : Scouts in 8th edition

Grentain
11-07-2010, 21:05
So, unless it was errata'd somewhere, already, I'm looking at my 8th edition rulebook, and... Well, scouts no longer have to be deployed out of line of sight from enemy units. They can now be deployed wherever. I think this makes them pretty incredible.

Agnar the Howler
11-07-2010, 21:14
It makes them quite useful, yes, but you still have to be wary of your opponent's units; cavalry could get the charge on you quickly if you deployed too close, and missile units could have a juicy target; there's still got to be tactical decisions made deployment-wise so that you can do you what you need to with them and not get punished for deploying them too close and within LoS.

Tron
13-07-2010, 17:11
How do scouts work in the new edition? Can they still move as before or are they also ranked up like other skirmishers? or was that rumor not true at all, even for non-scout skirmishers? Do they still have 360 LoS ?

Malorian
13-07-2010, 17:14
Scouts are ok.

The fact that they can't charge first turn doesn't help, but situations when the enemy flee from the closest enemy unit, or when you get to charge fleeing units, really helps :)

Tron
13-07-2010, 17:21
what about the stuff that I asked? know the answers to any of that?

Liked the videos you post on youtube btw, really nice.

Malorian
13-07-2010, 17:24
How do scouts work in the new edition? Have to be 12 inches away.

Can they still move as before or are they also ranked up like other skirmishers?

Dwarf rangers would be ranked up, and waywatchers would be like other skirmishers.

Do they still have 360 LoS ? No

(Glad you like the podcasts :))

Tron
13-07-2010, 18:24
Ok, thanks for the answers. Follow up question.

Heard somewhere that the skirmish formation is much like the normal one, but with distance between the models. So basically ranked up but with some space between them. Is that the formation that waywatchers, shadow warriors, shades etc would be using? and then have LoS just "in front" (90 degree arc ofc)

willowdark
13-07-2010, 18:25
Bingo...

No more 360 LoS for Skirmishers.

Tron
13-07-2010, 19:25
that's a bit of a shame. Here I was looking forward to maybe starting a new army, one that had scouts who could lurk about and be a nuisance. Having played only TK this far and them being extremely weak as it seems right now. Oh well.

Paraelix
16-07-2010, 07:26
The fact that they can't charge first turn doesn't help, but situations when the enemy flee from the closest enemy unit, or when you get to charge fleeing units, really helps :)

Making them worth their weight in gold...

EDIT- Also, consider the Lvl 4 Chariot riding Bray Shaman who can Scout :D

Dokushin
16-07-2010, 09:23
Skirmishers have unlimited free reforms while moving. That means they are going to wind up facing pretty much whichever way you want; for shooting the new rules are pretty much exactly the same as 7th + march and shoot, which is amazing with the new scouting rules. (I can't really speak for combat skirmishers; I imagine their life has gotten a bit harder.)

Let me kind of run you through this for my own little scouts, the Chameleon Skinks.

6th: "Blah, these guys have a neat deployment rule, but cost too much when I can just take regular Skink skirmisher scouts."
7th: "Six of these guys is just 60 points but they don't get to shoot enough in low-terrain tables and eat up a valuable special slot."
8th: "Man, I wish I could take more than three units of ten Chameleon Skinks..."

Scouting skirmishing shooters have received a massive, massive boost from being able to deploy within 12", march and free reform, and shoot. If you have the option to do such things, do it.

willowdark
16-07-2010, 11:58
I've been saying the same thing about Waywatchers for a while now. I think the new scouting rules, on top of the general buffs given to shooting skirmishers makes them a very good harrasment unit.

With combined profiles on Warmachines and the change to the wound table, shooting at close range is amazing and is probably one of your best weapons for hunting artillery, though it doesn't hurt to have a second wave of fast cav or flyers.

ghost of scubasteve
16-07-2010, 16:26
im going with 14 dwarven quareller rangers, 7 wide

combined with a unit of miners coming in off the edge i hope to set up some easy side/rear charges

Croaker2
16-07-2010, 19:02
Can't wait to set down my unit of 40 Longbeard rangers with throwing axes right by the enemy's lines.

theweck
16-07-2010, 19:02
I am still trying to figure out the ideal way to put together a goblin hero with the scouting map. Maybe something with the Brimstone Bauble to cause some mayhem behind the enemies lines. Could probably hunt warmachines too.

Any thoughts on that?

VoodooJanus
16-07-2010, 19:11
I've been saying the same thing about Waywatchers for a while now. I think the new scouting rules, on top of the general buffs given to shooting skirmishers makes them a very good harrasment unit.

With combined profiles on Warmachines and the change to the wound table, shooting at close range is amazing and is probably one of your best weapons for hunting artillery, though it doesn't hurt to have a second wave of fast cav or flyers.

Well, the new scout rules are actually a downgrade from their current ruleset. It would have made sense that they would be able to scout with no minimum range, as they already could scout in LoS within 12".
But yeah, they're OK. I'd say that Glade Guard scouts are better though. Half the price and can accomplish the same thing- sign me up!

w3rm
17-07-2010, 00:07
I am still trying to figure out the ideal way to put together a goblin hero with the scouting map. Maybe something with the Brimstone Bauble to cause some mayhem behind the enemies lines. Could probably hunt warmachines too.

Any thoughts on that?

Oh yes. I present to you...

THE NINJA ORC OF DEATHNESS!!

Savage Orc Warboss with Basha's Bloodaxe, Amulet of Protectyness, and Madds Map

He gets anywhere from 5-11 attacks :)

Paraelix
17-07-2010, 06:41
THE NINJA ORC OF DEATHNESS!!

Similar to my old favourate, the Ninjasorcerer Vampire.

Vampire with Hunter in the Dark (Scout) and Hand of Dust. He can singlehandedly obliterate small units.

SVKBaki
12-11-2011, 19:41
sorry to revive such old thread, but can be scouts deployed in my oponentīs deploy zone, if he has gap there and the scouts would be more than 12 inches away from any of his units?

thanks for answer

Dirty Mac
12-11-2011, 20:10
Yes, It is in the rule book. You can deploy in the enemy deployment zone, but you must be 12" away at time of deployment, and you can not charge if you get first turn.

popisdead
14-11-2011, 22:14
I think this makes them pretty incredible.

It makes them still useful and cleans up some issues with deploying them. It makes Waywatchers suck more.

However Scouts do have some advantages as they often have ranged weapons, they can stop Vanguard moves or at least where the Vanguard moves to, etc.

Sappysid101
16-11-2011, 12:00
Lol had no idea my Shades can march, reform and still shoot until I read this thread xD Thank you for showing me the light!!!

- Sid

friendsofrhomb
18-11-2011, 01:13
The only scouts my armies have are light skeletal horsemen...and they suck. Whats the point of a scout that cant march? I haven't been able to use these effectively at all