PDA

View Full Version : 2K Empire Gunline

RichBlake
11-07-2010, 21:25
Here's my 2K list I'm currently thinking of running, it's pretty similar to the one I used to run in 7th.

Lords

Arch Lector - 161
Great Weapon
Armour of Meteoric Iron
Luckstone

Wizard Lord - 240
Lore of Heavens
Level 4
Rod of Power

Heroes

Captain of the Empire - 93
Battle Standard Bearer
Banner of Eternal Flame
Full Plate

Master Engineer - 90
Pigeon Bombs

Core

Handgunner Regiment - 180
20 Handgunners
Musician
Standard Bearer
Marksman
Brace of Pistols

Handgunner Regiment - 260
20 Handgunners
Musician
Standard Bearer
Marksman
Brace of Pistols
Handgunner Detachment
10 Handgunners

Handgunner Regiment - 260
20 Handgunners
Musician
Standard Bearer
Marksman
Brace of Pistols
Handgunner Detachment
10 Handgunners

Special

Cannon - 100

Mortar - 75

Outrider Regiment - 126
5 Outriders
Outrider Champion
Hochloand Long Rifle

Rare

Hellstorm Rocket Battery - 115

Steam Tank - 300

Comments are appreciated.

Walls
11-07-2010, 21:39
Just guns? You know by turn 2 you need to kill or panic everything the enemy has. I think your combat characters are completely useless in a list like this. Single them out, kill them, your troops have nothing. I think you're trying for Fantasy Leafblower and it just isn't gonna work.

RichBlake
11-07-2010, 21:59
Just guns? You know by turn 2 you need to kill or panic everything the enemy has. I think your combat characters are completely useless in a list like this. Single them out, kill them, your troops have nothing. I think you're trying for Fantasy Leafblower and it just isn't gonna work.

The list is shooting heavy as it was the theme I decided to run with. It's not particularly tournament worthy, but I've tried to make it as competitive as possible while sticking to the theme.

Also the characters aren't really combat based. The Arch-Lector isn't a great combat character but he provides 2 dispel dice and some prayers to distract my opponent in the magic phase. The BSB isn't there really for combat, more for flaming attacks and a re-roll.

Cheers for your views anyway.

Nathangonmad
12-07-2010, 00:11
The list is shooting heavy as it was the theme I decided to run with. It's not particularly tournament worthy, but I've tried to make it as competitive as possible while sticking to the theme.

Also the characters aren't really combat based. The Arch-Lector isn't a great combat character but he provides 2 dispel dice and some prayers to distract my opponent in the magic phase. The BSB isn't there really for combat, more for flaming attacks and a re-roll.

Cheers for your views anyway.

You realise you will be seriously bored of this army very quickly right?

Lord Solar Plexus
12-07-2010, 06:54
Your list is definitively extravagant. I think it could even work to neutralize most combat units soon enough. If you do not deploy right on your base line, it will take almost every opponent three turns to make contact as they would need a very good charge roll to attack on turn 2 (15" at M5). What could happen - and it did happen to me once - is that someone has better range than you, say, several bolt throwers and crossbowmen or Elven archers. You don't want to move forward, especially when that brings you closer to any combat troops.

Can an AL take a Luck Stone? I thought they were for wizards only?

thesheriff
12-07-2010, 09:15
For an empire gunline in 8th, with the charecter selection removed, it would be in 2k something likeAs many engineers with pigeon bombs and Wizard lords as i could lay my hands on. Added to this would be cannons, mortars, some hellstroms and loads of 30 stong spearmen units with 2 handgunner detatchments each

Just because it's a gunline, does'nt mean you cant have some cheap combat units. Spearmen are 6pts each, 30 of them with command is 200pts. And with a bsb to hold them in place and a wizard casting re-birth they won't go anywhere. I would be doing something like ;

Lords
Wizard Lord w. (Lore of Life) Lv.4, Armour of Tarnus, Grey wand, Barded steed. = 301
Wizard Lord w. (Lore of Fire), Seal of destruction, = 220

Heroes
Captain w. BSB, Armour of metioric Iron, Great weapon = 136
Engineer w. Pigeon Bombs = 90
Engineer w. Pigeon Bombs = 90

Core
30 Spearmen w. Command, Shields = 200
*9 hand gunners = 72
*9 hand gunners = 72
30 Spearmen w. Command, Shields = 200
*9 hand gunners = 72
*9 hand gunners = 72

Special
2 Cannons = 200
2 Mortars = 150

Rare
1 Hellstrom Rocket batteries = 115

Total = 2,000

You get loads of warmachines, 2 lord level spellcasters, 36 hangunners and some big blocks of spearmen to stop people running directly onto your line.

See what you think;

thesheriff

LuitpoldFrohlich
12-07-2010, 11:33
You're 100 points shy of core requirements - detachments don't cover it.

Dark Aly
12-07-2010, 12:26
i used to run a dwarf gunline back in 4th and they do get really boring really quickly. if it works for you then feel free.

@thesherrif- can empire battle standards take a great weapon now? it says in the AB that they can't, also points are wrong. a BSB with armour of meteoric iron is 100 and i doubt a GW is 36 pts.

maaksel
12-07-2010, 15:03
Every empire army needs 3 mortars =)

thesheriff
12-07-2010, 17:27
Soory, didn't have the book to hand. The first thing is easy to rectify, just make the m normal uniots at expense of the counter fire rule.
Don't know if they can or not. And for some reason i had the captain down as 80pts basic. My bad
And not every army needs 3 mortars. Especially if you dont' ahve the points!

RichBlake
12-07-2010, 18:10
You realise you will be seriously bored of this army very quickly right?

Well I've been playing for over a year now and I find it fun, mainly because with this theme it's hard to get it to work.

Your list is definitively extravagant. I think it could even work to neutralize most combat units soon enough. If you do not deploy right on your base line, it will take almost every opponent three turns to make contact as they would need a very good charge roll to attack on turn 2 (15" at M5). What could happen - and it did happen to me once - is that someone has better range than you, say, several bolt throwers and crossbowmen or Elven archers. You don't want to move forward, especially when that brings you closer to any combat troops.

Can an AL take a Luck Stone? I thought they were for wizards only?

Yeah range can sometimes be a problem, I don't really come up to many people who can outrange the warmachines I take, the cannons can often deal with bolt throwers.

Against my friend who is a High Elf player his bows frequently outranged me, often I just marched into it though as he only had 20 or so bowmen.

Oh and helpfully there is an item called the Luckstone in the Common Items of the rulebook which is re-roll a failed armour save. So technically you could have a Wizard with a Luckstone and a Luckstone. *sigh*

Just because it's a gunline, does'nt mean you cant have some cheap combat units. Spearmen are 6pts each, 30 of them with command is 200pts. And with a bsb to hold them in place and a wizard casting re-birth they won't go anywhere. I would be doing something like ;

Not a bad list really, I'm going to play a few more games and see how it goes. So far I've not had a game with this list, only about 5 or so with other lists. I'd bve tempted to take two level 4 wizards, a BSB, an engineer and a Warrior Priest. I was using an Engineer among 4 warmachines today and one is more then enough really.

RichBlake
12-07-2010, 18:12
Soory, didn't have the book to hand. The first thing is easy to rectify, just make the m normal uniots at expense of the counter fire rule.
Don't know if they can or not. And for some reason i had the captain down as 80pts basic. My bad
And not every army needs 3 mortars. Especially if you dont' ahve the points!

Umm the parent units count towards the 25% and since each 20 man unit is 180 points each they come to a total of 540, which is 40 points over what I need for the minimum.

Gmaleron
12-07-2010, 18:24
Personally mate i really like the fluff idea of this army. It would be very cool especially if you modeled your guys after a napoleanic era army such as the british redcoats or even napoleons troops. One thing i have learned is that if YOU enjoy playing with the army and if YOU think the idea is cool then go with it. I am using LOTR elf models for my high elf army and loving it as i feel i have one of the best looking armies on the table top.

Now from a player standpoint i feel that some CC core wouldnt be a bad thing especially since they can keep your guys from getting hammered right off the bat. Also i feel that if your doing this type of army you should add some pistoliers or outriders. Also engineers are great and lots and lots of mortars to take out vast numbers of the enemy would be great to. Good luck mate!

RichBlake
12-07-2010, 18:42
Personally mate i really like the fluff idea of this army. It would be very cool especially if you modeled your guys after a napoleanic era army such as the british redcoats or even napoleons troops. One thing i have learned is that if YOU enjoy playing with the army and if YOU think the idea is cool then go with it. I am using LOTR elf models for my high elf army and loving it as i feel i have one of the best looking armies on the table top.

Yeah the army is painted like the British Redcoats, and the flags are painted in a similar way, with the Union jack in the top left with a Crown above an Old English style KF.

Now from a player standpoint i feel that some CC core wouldnt be a bad thing especially since they can keep your guys from getting hammered right off the bat. Also i feel that if your doing this type of army you should add some pistoliers or outriders. Also engineers are great and lots and lots of mortars to take out vast numbers of the enemy would be great to. Good luck mate!

I might consider more CC stuff, if I do it'd have to be stuff to hold units up, or clean up after the shooting. So really either blocks of State troops ranked up or Knights maybe.

Outriders and Pistoliers are nice, just couldn't fit more of them in.

Gmaleron
12-07-2010, 18:44
Sounds like they are painted up really cool mate, you posted pics of your army anywhere? And also if you are doing knights you should model them after the british dragoons so they fit the fluff of your army.

RichBlake
12-07-2010, 19:02
Sounds like they are painted up really cool mate, you posted pics of your army anywhere? And also if you are doing knights you should model them after the british dragoons so they fit the fluff of your army.

Nah, should take some at some point.

The Knights are just Reiksguard to be honest, they wear too much armour for Dragoons, the Pistoliers and Outriders I have look more like Dragoons though.

Gmaleron
12-07-2010, 19:05
Im sure people wouldnt mind you using them for fluff purposes. And if any do just call them what they are; bunch of no good cry baby b*&^@s and then put some rikesgurd knights on the table. People like that really annoy me because its NOT that big a deal they make it out to be. But whatever you chose good luck mate.

LuitpoldFrohlich
12-07-2010, 22:29
Umm the parent units count towards the 25% and since each 20 man unit is 180 points each they come to a total of 540, which is 40 points over what I need for the minimum.

Not sure if this is in reference to my comment, but my originial post was referring to thesheriff's list that only had 400 points of non-detachment core.

Sorry for any confusion.

RichBlake
13-07-2010, 00:35
Not sure if this is in reference to my comment, but my originial post was referring to thesheriff's list that only had 400 points of non-detachment core.

Sorry for any confusion.

Ah fair enough, I take it back then :P