PDA

View Full Version : Insane Asylums (that's fun to say) in 40k?

ChaplainOrion
11-07-2010, 23:35
Would there be Insane Asylums in the Imperium or is being mentally handicapped heresy. I think it could also be a front for Inquisitorial tests and experiments. If so what is the sign/symbol/insignia for hospitals and stuff I think it's the two snakes on the staff on the aquilla.

Kage2020
11-07-2010, 23:37
As the well known quote (which I won't quote) goes, it's probably the Schola Progenium. At least in the Imperium.

:D

Kage

ChaplainOrion
11-07-2010, 23:44
As the well known quote (which I won't quote) goes, it's probably the Schola Progenium. At least in the Imperium.

:D

Kage

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those that prosper may truly judge what is sane."

Fine are there any SANE Asylums?
Also the Schola Progenium is for the training of orphans of imperial officers who have given their lives for the emperor.

Mannimarco
12-07-2010, 00:01
Gibbering to yourself and flailing around? seeing things that arnt there? talking to your imaginary friend?

This isnt insanity, this is a sign that you are corrupt and possibly possessed! Your local friendly Adeptus Arbites would be around to "help" you if you start acting insane in pretty short order.

Kage2020
12-07-2010, 00:12
Gibbering to yourself and flailing around? seeing things that arnt there? talking to your imaginary friend?
That or you are touched by the divine presence of the God-Emperor and you should report to the Adeptus Ministorum where you will become a saint. There's a slight problem about a probably gruesome death as an interim, perhaps even at the hands of the people that will subsequently canonise you, but--hey!--that's just the kicks.

:shifty:

Kage

azimaith
12-07-2010, 00:17
I'd imagine it goes something like this.
If you're insane you don't seriously get help. If you happen to be a rich noble scion or the like you will simply be kept out of sight until you eventually end up dying or do something that forces them to kill you.
If you aren't from a rich family you most likely end homeless on the streets. Depending on the nature of your insanity you may also be considered possessed or tainted by the warping, which would result in you being killed.
If your insanity has you giving out tracts and claiming to have been personally spoken to by the Emperor you will probably be ignored as a mad man unless what you say happens to be blasphemous in which case you are executed as a witch or heretic.

If its not blasphemous and ultimately pro-imperial I'd image the ministorum of the Sisters Hospitaller could have asylums for them.

ChaplainOrion
12-07-2010, 00:19
What about planets with less trigger happy arbites they might go drag them away or maybe the family would bring them to an insane Asylum where they would actually be studied by the inquisition or something or the doctors, whose branch of the inquisition I forget, might be trying to find a cure for heresy. Shock therapy maybe?

pies
12-07-2010, 00:42
Jeez you guys like overstating the GrimDark.

Anyway, insane asylums do exist and are run by anyone who wants to run one. Actual Imperial run asylums are usually run by the Sisters Hospitallier and/or the ministorum.

There's a story with one in Let The Galaxy Burn.

No idea as too symbol though.

Leez
12-07-2010, 03:54
The insane asylums are better known as servator manufacturing plants.

Iracundus
12-07-2010, 03:57
A related question would be whether antipsychotic medication exists in the 40K universe anymore

MajorWesJanson
12-07-2010, 04:34
A related question would be whether antipsychotic medication exists in the 40K universe anymore

Amasec
Sacra
Fenrisian Ale...

The Cain books do mention a world that is used for recuperation of shell-shocked Guardsmen, also known for production of Combat Servitors. I think the term referring to it is "Going siggy"

Askil the Undecided
12-07-2010, 05:39
There is an asylum/prison on Cadia for the Cadian guardsmen who snap in the Eisenhorn books too, personally I think it's a nice touch to explain what they do with the really bad cases seeing as how normal operating procedures would have had that entire planet depopulated many times over with purges due to exposure to Chaos.

The Judge
12-07-2010, 06:12
I remember a short story, presumably from Let the Galaxy Burn (thanks, Pies) where they keep those who've gone a bit nuts. The story focuses on a veteran of a war against Nurgle-followers, and the asylum is named after the Imperial Patron Saint for the Insane.

Polaria
12-07-2010, 07:13

Sure does. Its just that Marines don't get any. :shifty:

Hunger
12-07-2010, 09:53
As with any question that asks "are there any X in 40K?", the answer is undoubtedly yes. The galaxy contains a million settled human worlds that exist under the blanket of the Imperium, and an unknowable number of other ones that exist outside the Imperium. There are certainly insane asylums on some of those worlds, whether Imperial sanctioned or not. To presume that Imperial officials cannot tell the difference between someone with a severe mental disability and someone possessed by a daemon or exhibiting psychic manifestations is a little silly. Lets not forget that it is the desire of Imperial governers that their worlds are harmonious, therefore the wellbeing of their citizens is important, ergo hospitals are common. Its not a big step to assume that most of those hospitals probably have psychiatric wings too.

Lord Damocles
12-07-2010, 15:59
There's a story with one in Let The Galaxy Burn.

I remember a short story, presumably from Let the Galaxy Burn
The Hospice of Saint Bastian Apostate from 'Pestilence' in Let the Galaxy Burn, pgs.527-544.

In the Grim Darkness of the far future there is only War!
No time for eating, sleeping, going to the loo, having children. Just war!

spetswalshe
12-07-2010, 16:31
I would assume, for grimdarkness' sake, they are for the most part quite medieval. Beatings, dank cells, science riddled with religious superstition; just picture a dark tower far away staffed with silent, white-robed men in hoods, where nobles send their wayward sons. And then receive back, in ten years time, a scarred, pliable and polite human being with any two of the following; disturbing nervous tic, monotone voice, inability to feel emotion, crippling fear of needles, horrific night terrors, severe psychopathic tendencies or occasional murderous rage.

Kage2020
12-07-2010, 16:36
There's another thread at the moment that discusses what 40k means to the individual; what engages them about the universe. You will find many similar responses therein. To some people, 40k is basically all about "da grimdark." (Not that there is anything wrong about that...)

Kage

Col. Tartleton
12-07-2010, 16:37
I would assume, for grimdarkness' sake, they are for the most part quite medieval. Beatings, dank cells, science riddled with religious superstition; just picture a dark tower far away staffed with silent, white-robed men in hoods, where nobles send their wayward sons. And then receive back, in ten years time, a scarred, pliable and polite human being with any two of the following; disturbing nervous tic, monotone voice, inability to feel emotion, crippling fear of needles, horrific night terrors, severe psychopathic tendencies or occasional murderous rage.

Sounds like he'd go pretty far in the Imperial Officer Corps.

Hunger
12-07-2010, 17:01

You've never spent a night in the Bristol Royal Infirmary have you?

Iuris
12-07-2010, 17:10
Well, this is where the GRIMDARK bit itself in the ass. There ARE insane asylums - because to stress the GRIMDARKNESS of the GRIMDARK WH 40K, both GW fluff and Dark heresy include multiple short stories about the people whom the terrors of the galaxy have driven insane - but are still quite alive and institutionalized.

So, yes, there must be SOME around. Whether only for the inquisitorial servants whose expertise is still needed or whatever - at least some must exist.

It is actually rational, too. The "kill on sight of trouble" dogma is quite wasteful and it makes good sense to take care of people - for the same reasons it does in real life.

(is the GRIMDARK annoying anyone yet? Well, I hope so. I think it's taken too far and makes the universe too unreal. I like my 40K a touch more down to earth, a touch less grimdark - and therefore all the more scary because it doesn't feel too ridiculous to take seriously)