PDA

View Full Version : Tyranids and the Warp - Retcon?

Clockwork-Knight
12-07-2010, 01:33
So I got a look at the actual Tyranid codex (in german), and read that the Tyranids really don't use the warp at all (as far as I read). Their "psionic" power is different from that which the inhabitants of the galaxy, like Eldar, Humans, or Orks use, being just the pure will of the hive mind, and they appearently use some kind of gravity-channel through a type of bio-creature called the narvhal (:p)a to travel through the voids of space, as I have read in another thread, and then in the codex.

Or did I misunderstand those pieces of writing in the fifth edition?

What else has changed in this regard for the Tyranids?

Hellebore
12-07-2010, 01:55
Well, they don't explain the hive mind very well. It's the 'will' of the tyranid species, which should translate into a warp entity. Which means that tyranid psychic powers SHOULD be warp energy, albiet purified through the hive mind first.

Basically tyranid psychic powers should be like clerical powers - magic granted to a devout follower that, due to it coming through a god, has less of the negative side effects.

As for the narvhal, all I say is lame. Let's be different for the sake of being different. Let's ignore the fact that the setting placed the constraint of warp travel on FTL tech and only broke it with the necrons because the c'tan can manipulate reality.

But apart from that, they use the weakest force in the universe to do it. I mean, they supposedly find a planet millions of light years away (from another galaxy) and then use that planet's gravity to pull themselves toward it.

That's like using the light from one star in the sky to power a lascannon. Stupid.

Hellebore

Iracundus
12-07-2010, 03:46
It is a retcon, and not a very well thought out one at that.

In Epic Hive War and in the 2nd edition Tyranid Codex, Hive Fleet Behemoth's 2nd wave was explicitly described as exiting the warp in front of the Imperial fleet. Likewise in the 3rd edition Tyranid Codex, the section on Tyranid consumption described how Tyranid ships did use the warp, just exiting further out of the system compared to Imperial vessels.

Really there is little rationale for this change since the Tyranids have been described as using the warp for travel, communication, weaponry, and defense for so many editions. It is just change for the sake of change, and which causes then more discrepancies with the existing background.

azimaith
12-07-2010, 04:35
Having Tyranids use the warp was a great deal scarier anyhow. It used to be they could enter the warp without Gellar fields because of the sheer might of the hive mind and they're totally soulless nature.

Now they just follow the "narwhal".

Idaan
12-07-2010, 10:13
What other posters wrote, also why is this called a narvhal with a "v". This is about as lame as making a Transformers rip-off called Transmorphers (true story actually)

LexxBomb
12-07-2010, 11:25
yer but his monster movies were ok...

Iuris
12-07-2010, 17:14
Could someone explain to me what the problem with the name narvhal is? Everyone seems to complain about it, but it's just a species of whale...

Clockwork-Knight
12-07-2010, 17:49
Not just a species of whale, they're the jedi of the sea and inventors of the shish-kebab. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc)

Idaan
12-07-2010, 18:27
Could someone explain to me what the problem with the name narvhal is? Everyone seems to complain about it, but it's just a species of whale...

That's narwhal. Changing the spelling by one letter is retarded. Also, Weebl's song that Clockwork-Knight posted.

Hunger
13-07-2010, 10:25
Not just a species of whale, they're the jedi of the sea and inventors of the shish-kebab. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykwqXuMPsoc)

Idiotic YouTube clips like this ruin 40K for me. Why? Because to me, the 6.2 million people that watched it represent Mankind's descent into a species of brainless dribbling ******. Lets hope every one of them is sterile, because if they are allowed to breed it will set off a cascade of successive devolution that can only end with Humanity's enslavement to the animals we once dominated. No Imperium for us, only a lifetime of fattening up and living in barns, the milk of our females taken from us, each one of us destined to end prematurely on the slaughterhouse floor.

All hail our bovine masters.

MagosHereticus
13-07-2010, 12:16
Idiotic YouTube clips like this ruin 40K for me. Why? Because to me, the 6.2 million people that watched it represent Mankind's descent into a species of brainless dribbling ******. Lets hope every one of them is sterile, because if they are allowed to breed it will set off a cascade of successive devolution that can only end with Humanity's enslavement to the animals we once dominated. No Imperium for us, only a lifetime of fattening up and living in barns, the milk of our females taken from us, each one of us destined to end prematurely on the slaughterhouse floor.

All hail our bovine masters.

who knows what underlying issues stimulate this kind of frustrated rage