PDA

View Full Version : Wood Elf 2000 pts

VoodooJanus
12-07-2010, 05:24
Hey all, I'm having to switch my playstyle (ironically AWAY from the huge blocks of Eternal guard) because the Wood Elves lost much of their ability to use the terrain to their advantage. So I developed an army I think will perform admirably. Any notes would be highly appreciated.

Spellweaver (lvl 4 beasts)
Wand of Wych Elm
Glamourweave
(340)

Noble BSB
Briarsheath
Moonstone
(140)

Branchwraith (lvl 1 Athel Loren)
Cluster of Radiants
Annoyance
(165)

(4x) 10 Glade Guard w/ Standard and Musician (1 unit has a lord's bowman.)
10 Dryads

6 Treekin

Treeman

1998 pts.

I have been analyzing the Lore of Athel Loren, and I've decided that it's actually pretty good in the new edition because even a low level wizard can throw enough dice to get the higher level spells off, where they wouldn't have been able to before.

The battle plan basically is to place the units of glade guard about midway through the deployment zone, while placing my 'free forest' about 3/4 of the way to the front line. The BSB offers leadership support, and the dryads act as flankers (which is pretty much all they're good for these days.) The treekin take up one of the inside flanks, and the glade guard get in position to do what they do best.

Then, I place my BSB in one of the GG units and put it in the forest that's either in the center of the table or some other convenient place. This forces the enemy to either charge through the forest (and be disappointed when the unit teleports away, leaving them to be shot up by all the glade guard I've got, and also receive a nice warm greeting in the form of treesinging from the treeman, OR they avoid the forest, splitting up their forces, which allows me to divide and conquer- aka classic wood elf tactics.)

What do people think?

thesheriff
12-07-2010, 09:51
I would swap the glamourweave for the talismain of preservation (common, 4+ ward), so at least she gets the save against everything.

But, i think big blocks of eternal guard will still do well, i would take one with a noble with moonstone of hidden ways so they can pop up in a wood somewhere.

thesheriff

VoodooJanus
12-07-2010, 20:04
I'll have to drop some points, but yeah, that's probably true.

I know that they'll do well, but they've lost some of their appeal to me. A lot of what was fun was marching straight through the ruins without hindrance and taking up positions in wooded areas most other blocks couldn't get into.

Anyways, thanks for the help!