PDA

View Full Version : Lone Slann or within Temple Guard?

meermiester
12-07-2010, 08:56
So now the rulebook and the FAQs are fully out and everyone's had a chance to read them, what are people opinions on Slann load-outs? On its own or within a TG block?

Personally i like the lone build with: Lore of Life, The Focussed Rumination, Focus of Mystery, Higher State of Consciousness, Battle Standard Bearer, Obsidian Pendant, and Cupped Hands of the Old Ones.

Vsurma
12-07-2010, 09:43
I think the 2 main builds are likely to be either slann in templeguard with lore of life or slann on magic carpet with any lore, death is good due to purple sun.

My personal favorite atm is life slann in TG and loner with death.
I also threw a lv1 skink priest in the mix for a second scroll (cube and scroll)

700pts overall in magic, didn't seem too much.

Dying to try out the other lores though, maybe beasts next time round.
It is tough to take the Templeguard without life though as miscasts are just brutal.

Where is the poll option for both?

madden
12-07-2010, 11:35
In a unit as if the slann is a bsb and runs from combat it's dead no saves etc so the unit is needed to get the kills. Thee are plenty of other flyers flankers ambushers etc who can get it where ever it is.

meermiester
12-07-2010, 12:32
Thee are plenty of other flyers flankers ambushers etc who can get it where ever it is.

What even if he has Fly himself? Was thinking of giving him a magic carpet :-D, of course you would have to give him lore of death or fire to make the most of his manoeuvrability.

Memnos
12-07-2010, 13:08
I put 'Lone' because I wouldn't put them in temple guard.

Regular Saurus can be stubborn and will do huge amounts of damage. Plus, you want to be able to take Lore of Beasts to have your Slann do exactly what you always wanted to do with a Slann: Beat people up physically!

Gaargod
12-07-2010, 13:10
Yes, the obvious choice is with TG (and most probably lore of life) or on carpet (with death, likely).

Considering there's no 360 LoS anymore, he will end up very hard to get a charge on. Shooting, yeah sure, but that's what Ethereal is for.

Speaking of which, there's a lot to be said for an Ethereal, BSB, 4++ Mountain Chimera/Great Fire Dragon. Something of a one trick pony (which gets dispelled as its a RiP), but what a trick!

huitzilopochtli
12-07-2010, 13:14
Plus, you want to be able to take Lore of Beasts to have your Slann do exactly what you always wanted to do with a Slann: Beat people up physically!

Love this.

Still, I'm picking temple guard. I can't imagine, fluff wise, a slann going into battle without this bodyguard. Also, they pack a punch and with lore of life you don't have to worry too much about losing a few coz the armour save went down a bit.

Romulus68
12-07-2010, 13:22
Its a tough call. Yesterday in our first 8th game I miscast with my Skink Priest and did the large template S10 hit. Killed like 12 of my Saurus and the Priest in the process. Dark Elf blasted like 10 of his spear unit and 8 of the Corsair unit he was beside in one miscast! Sorceress was in the corner of the spears that was next to the corsairs. On a funny note 18 Dark Elves died, but the Sorceress rolled a "1" for her wound living through it! lol

huitzilopochtli
12-07-2010, 13:36
Cupped hands of the old ones, Throne of Vines, Regrowth. Plenty of ways to protect your unit.

Memnos
12-07-2010, 14:17
Cupped hands of the old ones, Throne of Vines, Regrowth. Plenty of ways to protect your unit.

Who doesn't want to throw hordes of dice at a spell, hoping for a miscast so you can throw it on an enemy in a deathstar?

"All right. I cast the enhanced version of regrowth and get back 6 temple guard. I place the large blast template on your Cold One Knights with the sorceress aaaand... They're all dead. And the sorceress is on her own."

- From, 'The Day Regrowth Killed 900 points of my enemy' by Happy the Slann.

huitzilopochtli
12-07-2010, 15:29
That's the plan anyway! :p Couple it with bane head and...oh look, you killed the sorceress too. :D

Memnos
14-07-2010, 07:35
That's the plan anyway! :p Couple it with bane head and...oh look, you killed the sorceress too. :D

Hahahah. Best. Miscast. Ever.

One thing, though: Watch out for people with Dwellers Below and a power stone. That initiative test means a single 3+ destroys your expensive Slann.

Vsurma
14-07-2010, 08:12
Power scroll is what you fear rather than a stone.

kaintxu
14-07-2010, 16:17
People read the rules, Dwellers bellow is a S test, not a I test, so its on 4+

Anyway, yes, it's really dangerous for characters such as wizzards, since most of them are S3

TheMav80
14-07-2010, 16:56
I had him in a unit of TG and took Lore of Light. It was great. Light has such great buffs for the Lizards. At one point my Guard had Speed of Light and Birona's Time Warp on them.