PDA

View Full Version : First game with 8th: A Lizardmen Tale

venomx51
12-07-2010, 12:10
Had my first game with the new rules on Sunday. Thought I'd share my experiences.

Firstly, here's my 3k list. I decided to go with big blocks of Saurus - (Steadfast and Cold blooded = win)

The List
Slann with Cupped hands, All Spells, Extra Casting Dice, BSB with Re-roll to hit banner and lore of Shadow
Old Blood on foot with Great weapon, and magic heavy armour (4+ Ward Save)
EoTG
Mounted ScarVet with burning blade

30 Saurus Warriors with HW+ Shield
30 Saurus Warriors with Spears
10 Skink Skirmishers
4 Kroxigor
20 Temple Guard
2 Salamanders

My opponent was using an Archaon-lead WoC army.

Forests
The Skinks deployed in a forest, which rolled up as a fungal forest. All units suffer from stupidity. They spent a few turns in there, being away from the general's Inspiring Presence

Steadfast
I like Steadfast. A lot. The first close combat to happen was between Archaon with his retinue of 10 Chaos knights of Tzeentch with Lances and my 30 Sarus warriors with Spears and my Old-Blood on foot. The Chaos unit was hexed with -1 toughness by the time it hit in close combat.
Thanks to Steadfast, my 400 points of saurus warriors held up the 1300pt Chaos unit for 4 rounds of close combat (2 complete turns). My Old-Blood took 2 wounds off of Archaon before falling.

Horde
My Temple Guard unit was charged by a horde of Great Weapon wielding Chaos warriros (4x10). Old habits die hard; Note to Self Great Weapons now ALways Strike Last. Because of forgetting this my Temple Guard were massacred. Reduced to 3 models in 1 round of combat (even with -1 strength Hex on the Chaos Warriors). By the time we realised the mistake it was too late and we played on.

Stomp Attacks
The EoTG is still useful in 8th Edition. A few good roles for the stomp attacks saw the flank of the Chaos Warrior horde taking 12 casualties over 3 rounds.

EoTG
I was a little worried about Stegadons in 8th Ed. But I wasn't dissapointed. It's still all about being in the right place tho. Turn 5 saw the EoTG move ito a great position to detonate it's magic bomb taking out a Chaos Sorcer, 4 Hounds and 1 Knight. It's impact hits the same turn taking out the BSB.

Monstrous Infantry
I didn't have much luck with my Krox unit, loosing them very early on to a unit of Marauder Hosemen. The low I was a bit of a hinderence here, with them taking 7 wounds before they could attack back. The remaining Krox's were cut down as they fled. I've not given up on them tho, I'll try again next time.

Salamanders
The game didn't provide much of an opportunity to see the Slamander shine. 1 died to magic before it could fire, the other had 2 misfires in a row and ate his handlers and was rpetty much out of it from thre on. These guys potentially are even better now, I just had an unlucky few rolls.

Magic
Wow. The new spells are great. Love the hexes. My opponent really felt not haing a lvl4 mage and was totally outclassed in the magic phase. Slanns are really good. With the shared pool, +4 to cast/dispel, the extra dice per cast and the new lores I won't be taking a list without a Slann again.

Was a good game. A few mistakes (like loosing 20 TG - D'oh!). But overall I really like the new rules. There's so much more death in the game now with the combat changes.

Jim
12-07-2010, 12:55
Thanks for your report - some interesting stuff in there.

Did you and your opponent forget anything else apart from the ASL on great weapons?

Jim

venomx51
12-07-2010, 15:00
Did you and your opponent forget anything else apart from the ASL on great weapons?
Not exactly, but it turns out that Slanns don't have hover, that was a rumor that got stuck in my head as truth. Wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game mind (and Slann's are still awesome), but will know for next time.

Thanatos_elNyx
12-07-2010, 15:14
Magic
Wow. The new spells are great. Love the hexes. My opponent really felt not haing a lvl4 mage and was totally outclassed in the magic phase. Slanns are really good. With the shared pool, +4 to cast/dispel, the extra dice per cast and the new lores I won't be taking a list without a Slann again.

Do you think that this edition will be known as Magic-hammer?
Does everyone HAVE to bring a Level 4 Wizard is all battles?

Or was it merely that you had a Slann flying about with no one to stop him.

willowdark
12-07-2010, 15:32
To compete with a Slann? Yes. In fact, I see the metagame easily skewing back to "go big or go home" in terms of magic. Some armies can build a solid magic defense without investing too heavily in casters, like the Ring of Hotek, but I think most people who expect to see a Slann or a Supreme Sorceress or other such comparable caster will need big magic to protect themselves.

ErictheGreen
12-07-2010, 15:52
i've read the lizardmen faq - the extra dice for the slann casting counts against the casting limit, so you still get a maximum of 12 dice. did this hinder the slann in any way?

Glen_Savet
12-07-2010, 17:27
It's a maximum of 12 dice at any one time. This MAY only effect the first spell cast in the phase. If you rolled up 12 power dice.

jet_palero
12-07-2010, 18:15
It's a maximum of 12 dice at any one time. This MAY only effect the first spell cast in the phase. If you rolled up 12 power dice.

I really think this is getting played wrong. I think its a total 12 dice cap for the whole phase and they just didn't write it quite correctly. It may only be the dwarf in me hoping this however.

There is a finite power limit on the amount of power a wizard can control. The casting player's power pool can never exceed 12 dice at any point in the phase - any dice generated beyond this number are lost.

This limit applies to all power dice, regardless of the source, and includes dice gain through winds of magic, channeling, from magic items, special abilities, and so on.

A soft cap makes NO sense game play wise, it has zero effect on anyone! (but the dark elves). WHY would it be better for you to wait to generate more power dice? That merely adds a layer of complexity and meta game to the magic phase that doesn't appear to belong.

If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but it sure seems to me that this needs clarification for bad writing.

Q. Does the ‘free’ power dice gained from Focused Rumination count
against the power limit? (p43)
A. Yes.

Soft cap, this rule only comes up once in a blue moon. when you roll double sixes. Hard cap it is important EVERY time. I think the fact its in the faq implies its a commonly occurring question.

Col. Dash
12-07-2010, 19:53
How did the Slaan move away from the last Temple Guard to target something else besides the warriors??

venomx51
12-07-2010, 21:04
How did the Slaan move away from the last Temple Guard to target something else besides the warriors??
it didn't. They all died next round (and the Slann took 2 wounds to boot). The Stegadon on the flank + the Slan's BSB done enough to cause the warriors to flee, leaving a perusing Stegadon, and a restraining Slann in the middle of the board.

As Glen_Savet already answered, the 12 power dice is a max. cap. The only time you wouldn't get an extra dice when casting is if you already have 12 dice in your pool. As soon as you have less than 12 dice remaining you get an extra dice added to each cast. So still an awesome ability.

Kugruk
12-07-2010, 21:13
it didn't. They all died next round (and the Slann took 2 wounds to boot). The Stegadon on the flank + the Slan's BSB done enough to cause the warriors to flee, leaving a perusing Stegadon, and a restraining Slann in the middle of the board.

As Glen_Savet already answered, the 12 power dice is a max. cap. The only time you wouldn't get an extra dice when casting is if you already have 12 dice in your pool. As soon as you have less than 12 dice remaining you get an extra dice added to each cast. So still an awesome ability.

I do agree that even though its not worded as such, 12 should be the maximum dice per phase, rather than at one time. But, hey until they rule otherwise, ill take what I can get :D

Dokushin
12-07-2010, 21:16
I really think this is getting played wrong. I think its a total 12 dice cap for the whole phase and they just didn't write it quite correctly. It may only be the dwarf in me hoping this however.

As Runesmiths, Runelords, and Anvils still generate additional dispel dice, I doubt you have much to worry about. I play a Dwarf guy pretty frequently and his standard 3k gives him +5 (+5!) dispel dice. Oh, Dwarves are the only army in the game now (I think) that can take multiple dispel 'scrolls'.

willowdark
12-07-2010, 21:17
Characters that are fluffed to be able to channel more magic than the average should be able to do just that. I think it's a good mechanic. I'm thrilled that I can still use PoD, especially in rounds where I already rolled well for PD and Channeling.

Sparowl
12-07-2010, 23:26
Oh, Dwarves are the only army in the game now (I think) that can take multiple dispel 'scrolls'.

Tomb Kings can also, with an enchanted item even. And Lizardmen can (cube of Darkness).

I've had similar experience with Krox (I'm running them 2x2), where they die before doing anything good. However, people are really really scared of them for some reason.

Salamanders are amazing. I've had games with them doing great, and other games where they misfire, or just can't get into position. Keep using them, cause I think you'll find them to be awesome.

So, how was the Slann on his own, if you had Temple Guard? He has to be with them. Its part of their rules. Or did they somehow get wiped out, and the Slann manage to win combat?

Necromancy Black
13-07-2010, 00:04
Um...Slaans do not have the hover rule....

Volker the Mad Fiddler
13-07-2010, 00:18
SNIP
Horde
My Temple Guard unit was charged by a horde of Great Weapon wielding Chaos warriros (4x10). Old habits die hard; Note to Self Great Weapons now ALways Strike Last. Because of forgetting this my Temple Guard were massacred. Reduced to 3 models in 1 round of combat (even with -1 strength Hex on the Chaos Warriors). By the time we realised the mistake it was too late and we played on.
SNIP

ASL really wouldn't matter much here as you still would have lost the 17 TG that round unless you somehow managed to kill more than 10 warriors [assuming a 10 wide, 4 deep formation for the warriors]- which may be possible for temple guard but on 15 attacks [10 front rank, 5 supporting, that hit on 4s] it is unlikely.

kaintxu
13-07-2010, 01:46
which is the re-roll to hit banner, I can't find it anywhere

As Runesmiths, Runelords, and Anvils still generate additional dispel dice, I doubt you have much to worry about. I play a Dwarf guy pretty frequently and his standard 3k gives him +5 (+5!) dispel dice. Oh, Dwarves are the only army in the game now (I think) that can take multiple dispel 'scrolls'.

Daemons can also have more than 1

Tomb Kings can also, with an enchanted item even. And Lizardmen can (cube of Darkness).

I've had similar experience with Krox (I'm running them 2x2), where they die before doing anything good. However, people are really really scared of them for some reason.

Salamanders are amazing. I've had games with them doing great, and other games where they misfire, or just can't get into position. Keep using them, cause I think you'll find them to be awesome.

So, how was the Slann on his own, if you had Temple Guard? He has to be with them. Its part of their rules. Or did they somehow get wiped out, and the Slann manage to win combat?

What the real point on 2x2 krox? your not getting ranks for yourself, you dont denny ranks to the enemy so?