PDA

View Full Version : Charging a fled unit

Reinier
12-07-2010, 11:59
If you place your fast cav in front of an enemy unit and you flee from a charge, how doe you resolve the charge range?

x= enemy unit
hhh= friendly unit

Situation before the charge:

xxxxxxxxxxx
hhhhhhhh.

Situation after the charge.
xxxxxxxxxx ------ hhhhhhh
------------- hhhhh.

The friendly unit has reformd from the centre of the enemy unit and fled8 inches. The rulebook explains you measure from the closest model the the closest model form eacht unit. In this case the distance is 8 inches. The enemy rolls 6 plus its 4 inch move = 10 inch

In the 7e edition, the enemy could never make the charge because of the huge wheel. In 8e edition, the wheel is free. So in this case the enemy can reach the fled unit easly (10-8= enough).

If this is true, what happens with the redirections tactic because in most cirumstance the chargers distance (2D+ intital M) will almost be higher than the flee distance (2D6).

jaxom
12-07-2010, 12:06
Learn not to redirect with the unit by getting that close?

Be happy that you have actually redirected since to kill you he actually has to come base you instead of redirecting after you flee?

You got the situation and the math right. You have to have stopped 1 inch short so you're 1 inch plus your flee roll (remember you should have Swiftstride with that unit which will help a bit) compared to his movement value.

Frosty_TK
12-07-2010, 12:57
I'm not quite sure why your example shows the light cavalry fleeing to the right and not down, which would be the most direct route away from the enemy. Thus I don't know how free wheeling affects his charge range in your example.
Can you explain this further?

Reinier
12-07-2010, 14:31
I'm not quite sure why your example shows the light cavalry fleeing to the right and not down, which would be the most direct route away from the enemy. Thus I don't know how free wheeling affects his charge range in your example.
Can you explain this further?

You reform from the center of the enemey with your center, facing away of the enemy unit. In that line you will flee.