PDA

View Full Version : End of 7th edition - tally

GodlessM
12-07-2010, 12:40
Well for most of us 7th edition is well and truly over. I thought it would be a good idea for everyone to post their tally of win, losses, and draws with each of their armies over the last 4yrs and give reflection of the good bits they enjoyed amidst the sea of darkness that 7th ed. later became. I'll start this off by putting down my own (though only going back 2yrs as I never kept track of my countless games with Hordes of Chaos).

W. of Chaos: W27 D4 L10
Dark Elves: W25 D1 L4
Lizardmen: W3 D0 L0
Beastmen: W1 D0 L0

Ultimate Life Form
12-07-2010, 12:44
Ah, yeah. My loss ratio must be somewhere near 90% due to the fact that I started out in 7th and had a very hard time learning the basics. Sadly much didn't seem to change as my current 8th Ed loss ratio is 100%. :cries:

So I don't really have fond memories of 7th; over the first half I got continuously massacred and in the second half GW decided to ruin the game... so yeah... my hopes are on 8th now.

eagletsi1
12-07-2010, 12:54
Ok. Here it goes.

High Elves before ASF: 21-10
High Elves after ASF: 14-12
Ogres: 14-23
Chaos: 15-10
Brets: 16-8

Bye, bye 7th. Bring on the 8th, my Ogre's should have a fighting chance! I'm so looking forward to the 8th, my gaming group is playing again, and there are less arguements with measuring. This weekend we played 3 games, all were quick and fun. Granted some miscasts are terrible now, but It just makes thing a little more interesting.

Love the 8th edition so far!!!!

Desert Rain
12-07-2010, 12:57
I don't have any exact numbers so this is just a good estimate.

High Elves
W - 48
D - 10
L - 16

Asmodai48
12-07-2010, 13:00
Vampire counts: About 15 wins 0D 0L

Memnos
12-07-2010, 13:05
Vampire counts: About 15 wins 0D 0L

Hooray for the death of 7th! Long live 8th.

Asmodai48
12-07-2010, 13:18
Currently at 5w 0d 0l in 8th :p

Frankly
12-07-2010, 15:21
LoL. I like how everyone's a winner in their tally's. Winners!

For me atleast, I'm glad that I struggle at 50/50 win/loss in a competive gaming environment(gaming group) and also at a causal level down at the club. Why? It means that games means something, it means that I compete, it means that when I go to tournament my lists a tournment ready and I compete to win at tournaments I go too.

If I'm 50/50 in casual play in means I'm trying new things, not taking the game to harshly, making sure its enjoyable for both players.

Are you guys making tally's of EVERY game you play, even games against people well outside your gaming level?

vinush
12-07-2010, 15:27
My best guestimates

Empire - W47, D19, L9
High Elf (Pre ASF) - W50, D10, L3
Vampire Counts - W12, D12, L24
Dwarf - W2, D2, L2.

Good bye 7th, I'll miss you most of all. (I started back in 4th edition)

THE \/ince

Malorian
12-07-2010, 15:36
I stopped counting midway through 7th and started having a lot more fun.

Players might want to think about doing this going into 8th...

Odin
12-07-2010, 15:39

Absolutely.

I've never kept a tally, never will. It's a wargame, not the Heineken Cup.

GenerationTerrorist
12-07-2010, 15:45
Chaos Warriors - P42, W15, D17, L10
High Elves - P70, W33, D8, L29

I stopped keeping track after a while though, and like the above two posters, I enjoyed things alot more.

Apart from games against certain ultra-cheddar-build armies that shall remain nameless....

Orcboy_Phil
12-07-2010, 16:06
I've lost more than I've won but drawn more than I've lost. In otherwords I haven't kept count.

Desert Rain
12-07-2010, 16:34

That is why I stopped counting mine about a year ago eventually. I really helps you to not focus so much on the winning and enjoy the game as a whole much more.

Midevil216
12-07-2010, 16:55
LOL - I never kept track but i assume its around 50/50

peterburstrom
12-07-2010, 17:01
Oh, I've seen my fair share of win/loss ratios in people's sigs. There are always, ALWAYS, more wins than losses. This thread is making this abundantly clear.

So far, if you add up all wins listed for 7th , you get 359 wins and 172 losses. This must mean either:

a) the people who wins more than loses are the only ones posting or keeping count of it.
b) somebody is lying.

Let's just kill a myth, right here, right now. People who win games often are not necessarily good players. If you go down to your local gaming store and smack little kids around every other day, you would have a fantastic ratio. However, you would not improve your gaming skills at all.

If you try to challenge yourself by entering tournaments that are played way over your head, you will lose but you will learn tons.

Therefore, a blown up win/loss ratio, either by artificial means (taking games below your skill level) or by flat out writing whatever numbers you can come up with, does not inflate other people's opinions of you. The only thing inflated is your ego.

I think that the best groups in which to play is a group where everybody are equally good at playing the game. I play in one of those now, which means that I win about as often as I lose. If I look for a new challenge, I enter tournaments. Then, I most likely end up in the bottom half. However, I learn a lot from losing to better players.

Xarius
12-07-2010, 17:02
O&G, not great, probably about 50/50 including some games against people it was impossible to lose to. To be honest I did not play very well with them ata all, they were for a laugh and not designed to win.

VC - Great, I can only ever remember losing once and have played them for what must be about a year and loads of games. My friends just never really adapted to them at all.

TheDilz
12-07-2010, 17:19
I dont keep track of wins/losses in WHFB.

When I want to tell myself how awesome I am I just break out the yardstick and measure my man tackle.

In all honesty, I play Dwarves mostly, so I had a lot of crappy losses, boring wins, and general frustration with 7th. Nothing satisfying about winning a shooting match, and nothing fun about playing against a 15+PD magic circus, so 7th led to some really bad games.

Im hoping 8th is more fun if nothing else. Otherwise its back to the yardstick.

Frankly
12-07-2010, 21:29
When I want to tell myself how awesome I am I just break out the yardstick and measure my man tackle.

I thought thats what people where doing?

GodlessM
12-07-2010, 21:38
Oh, I've seen my fair share of win/loss ratios in people's sigs. There are always, ALWAYS, more wins than losses. This thread is making this abundantly clear.

So far, if you add up all wins listed for 7th , you get 359 wins and 172 losses. This must mean either:

a) the people who wins more than loses are the only ones posting or keeping count of it.
b) somebody is lying.

Let's just kill a myth, right here, right now. People who win games often are not necessarily good players. If you go down to your local gaming store and smack little kids around every other day, you would have a fantastic ratio. However, you would not improve your gaming skills at all.

If you try to challenge yourself by entering tournaments that are played way over your head, you will lose but you will learn tons.

Therefore, a blown up win/loss ratio, either by artificial means (taking games below your skill level) or by flat out writing whatever numbers you can come up with, does not inflate other people's opinions of you. The only thing inflated is your ego.

I think that the best groups in which to play is a group where everybody are equally good at playing the game. I play in one of those now, which means that I win about as often as I lose. If I look for a new challenge, I enter tournaments. Then, I most likely end up in the bottom half. However, I learn a lot from losing to better players.

How many of the people that posted something said anything about being fantastic players?

In fact it actually makes sense that you see mostly wins in tallies on the internet, because generally the better players are on forums while the not-so-good players are on them less. This is not to say forums are a place for elite congression but rather that a large proportion of good players learn a tonne of what has helped them improve from attending Warhammer forums. It isn't the case that people are lying or gloating, it is just that they pick up a lot more experience this way.

Plus, a person is much less likely to post a tally if it is mainly losses. Same way people rarely post battle reports where they lose.

This was meant to be a fun idea for a thread for seeing off 7th edition; there's no need to come in bashing people and calling them liars.

MasterSparks
12-07-2010, 21:53
This is not to say forums are a place for elite congression but rather that a large proportion of good players learn a tonne of what has helped them improve from attending Warhammer forums.

This is very true, I reckon. In my own small circle of gaming buddies I'll guesstimate that I've a roughly 75% win-to-loss ratio, and I'm the only one who regularily visit forums dedicated to the game. It has only ever been thoroughly casual games though, nothing very fanciful..

Edit: As for 8th edition, so far I am at a 100% loss rate. I don't feel that I've been given an actual fighting chance yet though, what with my army general (playing VC~) getting picked off way too early for me to throw my army's weight around.

vinush
12-07-2010, 22:06
I feel no compunction to lie about my tallies. I retired my HE army pre asf as they were no longer challenging for me. I had no more models to alter the army, nor the time or money to do so either. My Empire losses were mostly when they were just a pick up army. Once I started using them in earnest I got much better, and lost a lot less.

My VC army has always struggled because I tend to play to a theme rather than to win, and as such my record is much lower. And my Dwarf "army" saw one outing, and that was a doubles tournament where we placed 69th. This was the first time I'd used them, so feel quite happy with my 2/2/2 record.

I object to the accusation that I'm making myself out to be better than I am. I don't play against kids at my local store, I play against people who like myself have played for a number of years and can give me a well fought game with a difficult win result for me.

The problem with the tallies isn't that they are over-inflated or exaggerated, but that they have insufficient information. Was the draw a draw because of one point or a hundred? Was that table quarter you luckily managed to rally your troops in during your final turn the extra points needed to get that win result? The possibilities are endless.

Pacorko
12-07-2010, 22:26
Absolutely.

Amen!

The only time you need to keep tally is when cashing a check or checking something you bought online.

I mean, who besides any given player who owns one or more armies cares about how many wins, draws or losses any of his/her armies have scored?

Right now, I know I didn't win much with my Ogres or Gobbos, won lots with my Skaven, did fairly well with my WoC, Dark Elves and Wood Elves, had a nice go with my Vampire Counts, Beastmen and Empire, and my Dwarfs remain unbeaten.

But what is really important as far as tallying goes is I had a blast every time I played a 7th edition game.

That said, 8th look like its going to be more of the same with niftier rules and army sizes I find more to my liking.

So, long live 7th! All hail 8th! :D

peterburstrom
12-07-2010, 22:37
How many of the people that posted something said anything about being fantastic players?

In fact it actually makes sense that you see mostly wins in tallies on the internet, because generally the better players are on forums while the not-so-good players are on them less. This is not to say forums are a place for elite congression but rather that a large proportion of good players learn a tonne of what has helped them improve from attending Warhammer forums. It isn't the case that people are lying or gloating, it is just that they pick up a lot more experience this way.

Plus, a person is much less likely to post a tally if it is mainly losses. Same way people rarely post battle reports where they lose.

This was meant to be a fun idea for a thread for seeing off 7th edition; there's no need to come in bashing people and calling them liars.

Hm. It is just as logical not to post your ratio if it turns out not to be more wins than losses, than it is to post a ratio with mostly wins and then writing that you are a fantastic player.

But then, one must ask, why post a win/loss ratio at all, especially one that contains more wins than losses, if you don't want to brag about it? Why do people feel the need to tell me, a gamer in the north of Sweden, who most of you guys probably never will meet in real life, that they have won 60-100% of their matches?

The purpose, which I base upon deducting possibilities, must be that people try to impress other people with them. You say so yourself.

Your second point stands, though. However, I would say that if you get way over 50% in wins in your ratio, assuming no lying, you play in a group of people who does not challenge you enough. Therefore, you learn less about the game. If warseerites would play other warseerites more often, we would get a more even win/loss ratio.

Also, I'm going out on a limb saying that, if all statistics were correct and we tallied up all games played in 7th, we would probably be quite close to an equal amount of losses and wins.

And I'm sorry if I was misunderstood. I had no intent of bashing anyone.

Murdoch
12-07-2010, 22:37
It's a wargame, not the Heineken Cup.

Nope it's the Bugmans cup and is now being advertised on Bugmans blimp :D

No tally for me... Only had a dozen or so games over 4 years :cries:

Think I came out around fifty fifty...

Funniest moment was getting my HOC Khorne warriors to walk backwards away from my very threatening Ogre Bulls... LOL!!!

peterburstrom
13-07-2010, 00:14
@ frankly:

I think that GodlessM might be correct, at least from a structural perspective. What you are pointing at is your own experience here at this particular forum. To actually prove, empirically, GodlessM's statement is practically impossible. This leads to the only other option we have at hand, namely deduction.

Knowledge about anything in this world is something that you gain through communicating with other people who take your opinion seriously and who tries to learn something themselves. Thus, the amount of communication should be covariating with the amount of knowledge gained (this is all very abstract, since none of these variables can be quantified, but just follow the reasoning). This happens for at least two reasons that I can think of right now. Firstly, you internalise and process other people's opinions, making them your own, modifying them, or dismissing them according to how their opinions fit in with your current. You evolve your own reasoning. Secondly, the very act of communicating forces you to be able to clearly project your thoughts in words, thus making them interpretable to other beings. This very act makes you sort out any mistakes in your reasoning and strengthening weak points in your argument. You learn by communicating.

According to this reasoning, the internet should be a channel for new information to process and yet another place in which to project your thoughts. Thus, you learn. The forum posters of the world should then, structurally speaking, be slightly favored in matchups. Of course, individual differences will always exist.

Frankly
13-07-2010, 00:20
Hey, this is the internet, everything is true. Even peoples tally's.

peterburstrom
13-07-2010, 00:27
Just for the eventual other readers of this thread: Frankly deleted the message I recently replied to, where he said that the elite gamers did not visit internet fora, but the players with less skill did.

Foxbat
13-07-2010, 00:38
My 7th Edition Tourney Tally (High Elf) for 143 games was 60W/42D/41L

Didn't keep track of the fun/fluff games...

I am looking forward to 8th Edition, the BRB looks great so far.

GodlessM
13-07-2010, 00:45
@vinush; can't deny that, you are definitely right, the context of a game is completey absent.

@peter; thanks for your understanding. To answer your question, I personally post my tally in my sig simply to keep track of it myself as it is the most convenient place to put it, rather than say write it on paper that may get lost, or take up harddrive space (albeit a tiny amoung :p) with a word document.

kramplarv
13-07-2010, 01:00
Honestly, I won't believe almost any tally posted on warseer. :) they all seem to be quite..unbalanced in the W-D-L.

Unless a regular warseer is teh warhammerz-kingz0r of his local area a tally would be more balanced in the W-D-L. than for example; W: 14 D: 2: L4. This is a 75% winning. Unless all opponents are bad players this kind of ratio is probably a fake. :)

why do I beleive that? well. Only a very few of the warhammer-community are that good to have a 75% Win-ratio. Not everyone is Alexander ;) It's like in real world. A lot of commanders are great commanders. (patton, eisenhower, macarthur, mannstein, rommel, scipio africanus, caesar, ) but Alexanders or Hannibal or Zhukovs are quite uncommon. :)

In addition based on my 13 year warhammer-experience/sports management/chess/coaching(right word? coach as in coach carter) I would say that the best of the best of the best prefer to let the game do the talking. Not an tally. Those with the "need" to keep a tally are second-best or third-best.

I hope I don't insulted anyone now. But if anyone felt insulted my experience tells me I'm right! :D

edit: a few years ago my gaming club hade quite a rough and competitive environment so we all decided to keep track records to find out who the best player was. We used a 20-pointsystem. (10-10,11-9, 12-8 etc up to 20-0) but we stopped counting when I "won" by having a massive 500+ vs 100- points in total. the main reason i write this is so i too can join the brag and boasting on the internetz!!! (of course all players but one were complete trash at this game.. So one evening we had the time to play 4-5 games! my club is a small one. I still have the best track record in WHFB-W/D/L. but the only other guy beside me is a 16-year old Ogre player... otherwise the WHFB are dead :()

peterburstrom
13-07-2010, 01:03
GodlessM:

I hope it is alright with you if I take what you say about your ratio posting as something unique. I have a hard time accepting that a majority of ratio posters do so for space- or time-saving reasons. There must be other places just as close by and as comfortable in a computer or on a piece of paper, or in the back of your army book. But really, for me, it doesn't matter either way. I never even saw yours until now.

Assuming that your very impressive scoreboard corresponds with reality, you must be a very good player in your local group and in the tournaments you attend. Don't you feel that you need another challenge to step up your game?

Hm. The problem I have, I guess, is that there are no leagues in Warhammer, like there is in football. A very good team of 13-year old girls will have a fantastic win/loss ratio against their own age and gender group, while they would have a terrible win/loss ratio in the World Cup (assuming they didn't meet England and that goalie of theirs, that is). Yet people seem to take every win in everyone's sig as equal. They're not. It's easier winning a football game against newborn puppies, chained to a fence, with no concept of the offside rule, than against a national team or a champion's league winner.

DaemonReign
13-07-2010, 02:19
Let's see, basically only played Daemons in 7th.

Against Dwarves, maybe 10-15 games in total, all Massacre and Solid Wins.

Against The Empire, maybe 15-20 games, an even spread of Losses and Wins. Really 50/50.

Against Dark Elves, like 20-30 games, I got spanked this way and that in probably 95% of these battles.. Or even worse actually, I can only remember TWO wins..

Fun fact about this: The guy in our group who wins the most (DE) is by far the least interested in forums and rumours and all that jazz - so in our little bubble the experience is rather the opposite from this theory about forum-mongering "making better players".

ooglatjama
13-07-2010, 02:28
Dwarfs: 17W 0L 3D
Tomb Kings: 0W 1L 2D
Orc and Goblins: 1W 2L 0D

Finnigan2004
13-07-2010, 03:14
Absolutely.

Totally agree with this statement-- mostly. In the interest of interest though, I'll play. Not sure, probably a bit over .500. Maybe as much as .600.

P.S.. Couldn't totally agree with the statement because I have no idea what the Heineken cup is ;).

Anvilbrow
13-07-2010, 04:08
No tally for me.

Whenever I see a tally on someone's sig I chuckle to myself.

Kids these days...

Been playing Warhammer for over 20 years/6 editions and I suspect that my record has been trending downward for the last two editions...

If my first five games of 8th are any indication, that trend has accelerated
(0-5 thus far).

I console myself by buying a new army every time I lose (almost). Strangely, the guy that beats me the most also owns the FLGS where I shop...:shifty:

enigma-96
13-07-2010, 04:34
Never kept a score...but I can honestly say that in 7th I NEVER won a single game :(.

....Man I love 8th :)

For those interested I played Goblins.

selone
13-07-2010, 05:10
Why do people feel the need to tell me, a gamer in the north of Sweden, who most of you guys probably never will meet in real life, that they have won 60-100% of their matches?

Why do you feel the need to tell me your opinion?

Alathir
13-07-2010, 06:13
....You guys were keeping count?

I have fond memories of 7th edition, my friends and I are really reasonable players so I never had to put up with facing off abusive enemy lists. However, it was becoming to be a bit stagnant and I am really excited for Maelstrom to send me my damn 8th edition book!

For the record; I'm 100% sure I lost more games than I won.

Gorbad Ironclaw
13-07-2010, 06:20
I couldn't give you a tally of the past four years but I can give you one of the past two and a bit.
All armies:
W:0 / D:0 / L:0

7th was becoming a chore, but I'm pleasantly surprised to see that GW actually changed stuff for this new edition and so will at least give it a go.

enyoss
13-07-2010, 06:26
I stopped keeping track of W/D/L around the late 90's. It was around the time I started losing all my games, I think.

TheAmazingAntman
13-07-2010, 06:26
I was never one for tallying my individual wins and losses but, more importantly, my best buddy and I went W:9 / L:1 / D:1 in doubles play.

Believe it or not, Empire and Wood Elves isn’t a bad combo!

Adjustquantity
13-07-2010, 06:35

Most of what I see on the (this) Forums are a bunch of whiners and the same old advice rehashed with a slightly different wording. I come here for the entertainment since working overnights is boring!

That being said, My win/loss ratio for Fantasy and 40K is 100% because I've had fun in every game I've played so far!

phoenixguard09
13-07-2010, 06:48
Well I play a lot of games and I got flamed when I put my win/draw/loss ratio up before because no one believed how many games I play, especially over the holidays. :D

High Elves
W:65 D: 4 L:3

Wood Elves
W:19 D:6 L:1

Khuresh
W:6 D:1 L:3

Blood Elves
W:3 D:10 L:0

Lizardmen
W:2 D:1 L:1

Bretonnians
W:4 D:2 L:1

Chaos Dwarves
W:1 D:1 L:0

Sea Elves
W:1 D:0 L:0

Dark Elves
W:0 D:1 L:0

I think that's all. :D

And in response to Pacorko's statement about who keeps a tally for tehir armies, our group is quite competitive and like to rub it in each other's faces. :D Another thing is that all of my general's have a story and each battle becomes part of his or her background.

peterburstrom
13-07-2010, 08:28
Why do you feel the need to tell me your opinion?

Well, because of two reasons, both of which I've talked about in an earlier post. Here's yet another reformulated way of saying exactly the same thing, since you asked so politely.

The first reason is because I feel that I learn stuff from listening to people, not only stuff about tactics and nuances of rules that you should be aware about, but other hobby-related things as well. Listening, well, what does that have to do with your opinions? you might say. Well, I find that one thing that I do better than other people is knowing what I like to know. People tend not to listen to you, or give you the answers you seek unless you are capable of asking. A sub-skill of being capable of asking is being treated as an equal by other people, so that they take you seriously and won't hunt you down like the noob you are. Since I'm quite new here, I'm trying to assert myself so that, in case I have questions, people take me seriously. That's reason 1.

Reason 2, then. I have been playing this game since I was 11 years old, and I'm 25 now. That's 14 years. I have quite a lot of games under my belt. Also, as far as I know, few people from my area post here. Therefore, I believe that I just might be able to contribute to the collective wisdom of Warseer, which is the very reason I joined.

Edit: Ooh, i guess you tried to make fun of me. Did not notice until now. Sorry for not adhering to the forum standard practice of retaliating in the same way.

Frankly
13-07-2010, 09:25
Just for the eventual other readers of this thread: Frankly deleted the message I recently replied to, where he said that the elite gamers did not visit internet fora, but the players with less skill did.

oh yeah sorry I did. I didn't realise you posted regarding that my bad.

There was nothing in the most.

It was a reply to GodlessM, but thats it.

Soz Peter.

Although it didn't actually say was your saying it said, which you've kinda made up, but close enough anyway.

Darkspear
13-07-2010, 09:28
My tally is in my nick. I am still adding more 7th ed games to my tally as the rulebooks got delayed in my country (and I refuse to buy from the only surviving store who jack up the price by around 50% after all his rivals close down).

Overlord Krycis
13-07-2010, 09:46
Ogres: W:12 / D:2 / L:32

Dwarves: W:20-something / D:0 / L: in the teens at least

Lizardmen(mega steg list): W:20-odd / D:1 / L: 2

I stopped keeping count about 9 months ago, but my local gaming buddies and I usually do keep track as we can get bragging rights over each other...and we find that to be fun.

Don't have any of these armies anymore though... :(

draccan
13-07-2010, 09:52
Hooray for the death of 7th! Long live 8th.

/signed !!!!!!!

peterburstrom
13-07-2010, 10:11
Frankly:

Ok, so what did it say, then? If I made anything up, I'm very sorry, but you have to understand it is quite hard to remember what you wrote word for word. Is my reply invalid, based on what you actually wrote?

GodlessM
13-07-2010, 11:00
GodlessM:

Assuming that your very impressive scoreboard corresponds with reality, you must be a very good player in your local group and in the tournaments you attend. Don't you feel that you need another challenge to step up your game?

I'll be honest with you mate, though I would consider myself at least competent at the game, the imbalance in the WoC tally is likely due to the fact that until this year there were pretty much no players in my area, so half of those wins are from tournies I travelled to but the other half are from playing my two or three friends, who I generally have an edge on because I attend more tournaments; no impressive feat there. The Dark Elves on the other hand I usually only play at tournaments, but nobody can really say much about winning with those poxy Dark Elves can they :p

The SkaerKrow
13-07-2010, 11:47
Have to love the guys with the gross win-loss percentages jumping up and down on 7th Edition for being somehow lacking. :rolleyes:

peterburstrom
13-07-2010, 11:48
I'll be honest with you mate, though I would consider myself at least competent at the game, the imbalance in the WoC tally is likely due to the fact that until this year there were pretty much no players in my area, so half of those wins are from tournies I travelled to but the other half are from playing my two or three friends, who I generally have an edge on because I attend more tournaments; no impressive feat there. The Dark Elves on the other hand I usually only play at tournaments, but nobody can really say much about winning with those poxy Dark Elves can they :p

Heh, I guess not. But what you say probably can explain most of the win/loss imbalances. Lots of people might not even have a shot at finding other local players to play and lose against, which means that you are mostly stuck with the players you usually play. If you then come out on top, due to skill or army balancing rock/paper/scissor problems, your scoreboard will go haywire.

In that case, I feel glad that I don't outplay my local group. They are continually a challenge to win against, which means that I learn a lot about Warhammer. I like being slaugtered, going back home, tweaking up my list and my strategy (or was it tactics?), returning, being slaughtered again (but a bit less than earlier), rinse and repeat. The wins feel much sweeter when you feel like you earned it through months of hard work.

surprize
13-07-2010, 12:32
Dark Elves

Fun Games - 12
Meh - 2
Un-fun Games - 3

7th ed wasn't that bad to me. Win/Loss? Couldn't tell you. 50/50 ish?

peterburstrom
13-07-2010, 12:54
Dark Elves

Fun Games - 12
Meh - 2
Un-fun Games - 3

Yes! This is the kind of tally we would need!

Spider-pope
13-07-2010, 13:41
From vague recollections my tally is:
Daemons of Chaos P3 W2 D0 L1 But had very little fun so DoC became relegated to 40k only.
Chaos Dwarfs P0 W0 D0 L0 :cries:
Vampire Counts P4 W1 D1 L2 The draw was against another Vampire Counts army, resulting in the most boring game i have ever played of Warhammer
Ogres P3 W2 D0 L1

And after those 10 games or so that i can remember, i quit 7th because it just wasn't as enjoyable to play as the other games being played at the various clubs i attended during its reign.

GodlessM
13-07-2010, 14:08
Heh, I guess not. But what you say probably can explain most of the win/loss imbalances. Lots of people might not even have a shot at finding other local players to play and lose against, which means that you are mostly stuck with the players you usually play. If you then come out on top, due to skill or army balancing rock/paper/scissor problems, your scoreboard will go haywire.

In that case, I feel glad that I don't outplay my local group. They are continually a challenge to win against, which means that I learn a lot about Warhammer. I like being slaugtered, going back home, tweaking up my list and my strategy (or was it tactics?), returning, being slaughtered again (but a bit less than earlier), rinse and repeat. The wins feel much sweeter when you feel like you earned it through months of hard work.

Absolutely. I played the city's annually convention tourney last weekend and in past years I could cruise through to 2nd place, and this year the competition went way up and I managed to get 1st place after 3 very hard fought games, and the feeling of actually truly earning a high place this year is so much better than the past years of easy wins.

KHolbourn
13-07-2010, 14:17
I hadn't counted until I saw this post and then was pleasantly surprised! Given last time I played Warhammer before starting last year I was also playing dungeon bowl, Rogue Trader 40K, titan Legions and Space-fleet...

W 22 L 13 D 10

All faithfully recorded here (http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205106) except my final game of 7th Ed that I played last week (and that's being written up)

Awilla the Hun
13-07-2010, 14:24
The Red Guards are approximately breaking even all the time, with minor victories and defeats, but mostly draws.

TheDilz
14-07-2010, 18:07
Dark Elves

Fun Games - 12
Meh - 2
Un-fun Games - 3

LOL ask your opponents and it was probably the opposite:

Fun games-2
Meh-2
Un-fun games-12

7th was mostly bad for those who played AGAINST DE, not with them.

DarkstarSabre
14-07-2010, 18:36
You want my tally?

Here goes. Here's how much 7th edition mattered to me.

Played: 1 game.
Won: 1 game.

The end. 7th really didn't impress me so 8th is quite a nice change. For me 6th, 7th and 8th were practically the same game with some tweaks.

Orcboy_Phil
14-07-2010, 23:07
LOL ask your opponents and it was probably the opposite:

Fun games-2
Meh-2
Un-fun games-12

7th was mostly bad for those who played AGAINST DE, not with them.

Did god will the interwebs every learn that not all Darkelf armies are or where Ring of Hotek, Pendant of K(???), Duel Hydra shade Deathstars. Dark elves are a fun competative army with a potential broken build that is rarely seen outside of tournaments or every used by anybody other than WAACoffs unlike the one trick pony VC's or the poorly balanced Deamons.

GodlessM
14-07-2010, 23:27
Did god will the interwebs every learn that not all Darkelf armies are or where Ring of Hotek, Pendant of K(???), Duel Hydra shade Deathstars. Dark elves are a fun competative army with a potential broken build that is rarely seen outside of tournaments or every used by anybody other than WAACoffs unlike the one trick pony VC's or the poorly balanced Deamons.

Unfortunately that is far from the truth.

pointyteeth
14-07-2010, 23:36
always a touchy subject those win/loss tallies.

I played WoC for most of the edition, but didn't really keep track. I had a 6 or 7 game win streak going when I started with the army, but as soon as my group got used to WoC, I went back to my usual below .500 record :D

I did enjoy almost all my games during 7th and I played alot of super-cheese lists. The only times I didn't have fun was against super-cheese lists played by dinks.

Toshiro
14-07-2010, 23:39

QFT

I started out keeping tally with my TK but gave it up as it wasn't as much fun as concentrating on creating a good story =)

I won't really miss 7 as it feels now, even though it is a bit intimidating to re-learn the game :)

indytims
15-07-2010, 01:12
I definitely don't remember my win/loss record in 7th, as I don't keep track of such things, but I feel confident in saying that I had about a 40% win, 40% loss, and 20% draw record. :)

peterburstrom
15-07-2010, 09:56
The challenge in playing a Dark Elf army must be to make their games actually challenging.