PDA

View Full Version : Order of action after fleeing from a charge

Frosty_TK
12-07-2010, 13:08
Hi guys,
I was wondering when an attacker has to choose whether he will follow his first declared, now fleeing target, or redirect into a new one.

The action is as follows if I remember correctly:
1. The attacker declares a target
2. the target chooses a charge reaction which is handled immediately.
3. repeat 1 and 2 until all charges are declared.
4. move attackers.

Now, if the target flees, the attacker may make a leadership test to try and redirect his charge against another unit.
The question:
Does he do so before, or after the enemy has determined his fleeing distance?

I'd currently say after the enemy has completed his fleeing move. Is that correct?

Atrahasis
12-07-2010, 13:12
Yes, I'd agree.

Reinier
12-07-2010, 14:34
the text is not 100% clear, but you should rear it word by word. After the unit delcared its flee reaction you have the option to redirect.

So, after you decision you roll the dice for distance etc.

Frosty_TK
14-07-2010, 08:16
Hum, one for and one against. Anyone else got an oppinion?

madden
14-07-2010, 09:03
If I remember right as soon as a flee is declared they have to roll distence then move (just checked first bullet point) then if the charger can chose to redirect or follow though and try to run down the fleeing unit(p18 first para). Should sort out the problem.

Sedekiel
14-07-2010, 09:29
1. The attacker declares a target
Good so far...

2. the target chooses a charge reaction which is handled immediately.
The book says resolve charge reactions...so immediately is correct.

e.x. Two units (A&B) have 8'' distance between them.
Unit A declares charge on unit B.
Unit B decides to flee as a reaction.
Unit B rolls 8 as a flee distance
Now the distance between the 2 units is 16''

Now Unit A has an option....Either go against unit B but have to roll high enough to get the 16" distance or Pass a LD test to pick a different enemy unit to attack that is closer...

morespam
14-07-2010, 10:13
Would it anything like breaking a unit in combat? if the enemy unit fails his Ld test and runs, the attacking player decides if he wants to restrain and reform or chase then dice are rolled.

Just seems like a similar situation.

Lyynark
14-07-2010, 10:42
But what happens in the following case:

There are three units A, B & C. A & B are the chargers while C is the chargee.

1. A declares a charge against C, C declares hold.
2. B declares a charge against C, C declares flee.

The question is, since the charge reaction is all worked out for A, can A choose to redirect?

Greyfire
14-07-2010, 15:08
The question is, since the charge reaction is all worked out for A, can A choose to redirect?
My group had that same question and we were forced to accept that unit A was hosed. Unit A's chance to redirect had already passed, at least by the strict reading of the rule. I don't think any of us like it, but if that's the rule then we'll follow it.