PDA

View Full Version : 2500pt High Elf List 8th edition

captainsebastian
12-07-2010, 13:52
Edit: Adjusted points since I forgot silver helms cant get a magic standard)

Lv 4 Mage (silver wand, Talisman of preservation, Lore of Life)
BSB (Great Weapon, Armour of Caledor)
Lv 2 Mage (Seer staff of Saphery, Currently Lore of Fire)

20 Lothern Sea Guard (Command, S)
20 Spearmen (Command)
20 Spearmen (Command)

15 Sword Masters (Command)
15 White Lions (Command, Banner of Sorcery, BSB's unit)
12 Silver Helms (Command, S)

2 Bolt Throwers
2 Great Eagles

I played this once at 2000 points without the level 2 and silver helms (and won) and twice with this list (won because of the silver helms and lost the second one).

I do like it. I know that larger units are key but this gives me 5 infantry units that could be spaced out or there to support each other. This has worked so far since people started building horde units allowing one of my units to hold because of what they could kill to keep combat a close tie then my others flank. The silver helms are almost a must. Killing a hero of chaos with this dragon ogres, trolls with trogg (They were next to vaul hammer :) ), and almost a hellcannon in one game was beautiful. Second game they assassinated a chaos lord mage and held my flank longer than they should.

I do wonder what my level 2 should take. My level 4 lord was important in keeping my units alive (toughness bonus as well as bringing back models) but I am unsure about the level 2.

One thing I could do is take out the spearmen and use its points to make the spearmen and lothern bigger.

Thoughts?

D'Haran
12-07-2010, 15:37
List looks great, against horde armies you'd probably benefit from the spearmen change you mentioned.

As far as lvl 2 goes, I'd have him as a dmg dealer and to fill in the holes in any HE list. Usually this would point towards Metal or Fire, but Death isn't a bad choice either. If you want more support don't discount high magic either.

Gramolarian
13-07-2010, 09:55
If I donīt remember totally wrong silver helms ainīt allowed to take magical banner of any cost. othervise pretty solid list ... swap those shelms to dragon princes

captainsebastian
13-07-2010, 13:29
If I donīt remember totally wrong silver helms ainīt allowed to take magical banner of any cost. othervise pretty solid list ... swap those shelms to dragon princes

You are right on the silver helms magic standard. For some reason I had it in my head that they could have a 25point banner.

I don't know about switching to dragon princes. To get a twelve man unit would cost me 94 points more. With silver helms I still get 12 attacks and they are cheaper. That and there are more models in the case I would get a flank to negate ranks (since you need 10 models to negate any ranks minimum). Last night they pulled a win for me again against some mean dwarf list.

D'Haran
13-07-2010, 15:40
Actually you only need 5, trick is you have to have a full rank at the end of combat. Hence people are saying you need 2 ranks to ensure the survival of a rank.

captainsebastian
13-07-2010, 15:47
Actually you only need 5, trick is you have to have a full rank at the end of combat. Hence people are saying you need 2 ranks to ensure the survival of a rank.

I'm reading the rules right now from Disruption, pg. 52. It says if a unit who is flanked or reared with an enemy unit that has two or more ranks of at least five models in those ranks. If this is the case there is no rank bonus for the flanked or reared unit. (not a word for word statement to avoid plagiarism.)

So since you need two ranks of 5 to negate you need a minimum of 10 models.

You can get flank or rear combat bonus with 5 models minimum. It just means you don't negate ranks until you reached 10 models.

riotknight
14-07-2010, 01:43

I don't know who told you this, but hit them in the head with a shoe.

captainsebastian
14-07-2010, 13:43
I have to reword what I said about disruption. Disruption only gets rid of combat bonus for having ranks...it doesn't say it gets rid of ranks. So I have to assume steadfast is still in effect.

g0ddy
14-07-2010, 16:07
It is.. it even specifically states steadfast is still in effect. Its unde reither the rules for steadfast or disruption I dont recall.

~ Zilla