PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite army composition?

Orcboy_Phil
12-07-2010, 15:59
Just wondering how people like to craft there armies. Too me I've always enjoyed two things most of all big blocks of infantry and a nice big monster or two for the army centerpieces. So as you can guess I'm loving the boosts both got for 8th. What about you lot?

Feorag
12-07-2010, 16:19
Well my WoC has two average sized infantry units some fast and heavy cavalry, hellcannon giant, Spawn. my BoC is More MSU with 2 cygors for the fun of it. and my TK is a nice mis of blocks and Chariots/Cav with some ubshabti.

Ultimate Life Form
12-07-2010, 16:20
My army needs big, impressive blocks.

UberBeast
12-07-2010, 16:20
I was a horde player before it became fashionable. O&G all the way!

Tarquinn
12-07-2010, 16:26
Mixed, I guess.

Strong center, backed up by mobile flanks and artillery.

What does MSU stand for?

Edit
12-07-2010, 16:27
where's the balanced, all comers style? that's what I use.

Minsc
12-07-2010, 16:29
Damn it, voted for monsters but was gonna vote for big units of infantry.

All my armies (except for WoodElves) always got at least 3 moderatly-big units of infantry, usually more.

SeaSwift
12-07-2010, 16:31
where's the balanced, all comers style? that's what I use.

Ditto.

I don't use very many big blocks of infantry (maybe because I'm a HE player, and Spearmen are the only real big blocks of infantry), but incorporate all types of unit into my list (apart from Monsters - unless I get to take out my Star Dragon :evilgrin:)

enyoss
12-07-2010, 16:36
What does MSU stand for?

Many small units (MSU). It was a style which came to prominence with the 6th edition Dark Elf list. I never liked it myself as it always felt a `bitty', and I prefer to use big blocks of infantry... well, as big as I can manage playing High Elves anyway.

Desert Rain
12-07-2010, 16:39
Balanced all comers High Elves. A few infantry units but they are quite small, around 15 or so. Some cavalry support, some wizards, a couple of chariots. That was in 7th though, but I guess that I'll just keep making the same style of army in 8th since I find it to be the most enjoyable.

peterburstrom
12-07-2010, 16:44
I voted cavalry heavy, since that's what I've more or less played since 6th. However, I hate the fact that there is no way to make cool unit fillers in them. At least, I never had any idea as to what to do. They're always too small.

Nowadays, I try to make infantry heavy lists, so that I can throw in those unit fillers I like so much, without it looking weird.

Tokamak
12-07-2010, 16:47
I've got 3 units of 30 orcs and one of 60. It's not that I'm a particular fan of large horde armies, or maybe I am, it's just that most armies in my area are either elite or completely balanced (which I personally find extremely dull).

The big joy of playing a horde army is sitting back and watching how the opponent goes about handling the big tide of green.

Orcboy_Phil
12-07-2010, 16:53
Nowadays, I try to make infantry heavy lists, so that I can throw in those unit fillers I like so much, without it looking weird.

That actually reminds me of my Men at arms unit I put together recently I put it on the table and the manager immediatly came up to me to ask why there was a pit pony in the unit. Before I could answer a fellow Brettonian play admiring the unit said "Its to pull the beer into battle" getting exactly what I was aiming at. :D

ooglatjama
12-07-2010, 16:57
Voted gunlines because I couldn't fins my style and gunline is the closest.
A strong artillery section protected by large defensive blocks ready to hold back the enemy. The enemy advances and is shot up before being finished by either my strong walls or more artillery.

Notasquick
12-07-2010, 19:27
Dwarfs, a variety close support army.

The bit of everything army currently tending towards multiple small units of differing selections but similiar types are of equal size.

Voted MSU rather than gunline.

In 7th, a mix of the different elite infantry units at roughly the same size, a couple of smallish shooting units, few units with full command, a variety of rare war machines usually with one special, the minimum of runes, supporting heros not lords, BSB, and general Bugman.

In 8th edition, larger elite infantry blocks, heros for each infantry block, more units with full command, and a variety of runic war machines supported by engineers.

In social games, playing a modified version of the army including special rules, equipment, unit construction and selection.

For units with full command, placing both a drummer and horn blower within units. In units with heros, adding multiple champion model bodyguards to bulk out the front rank. Generating small bands of slayers with doom seekers. Attaching Engineer and Runesmith to Runic war machines. War Machines on rectangular bases.