PDA

View Full Version : Need Help with WoC Character builds

12-07-2010, 18:22
I've been wrapping my head around the changes to 8th edition WoC for a few weeks now. Now I have the rule book with all the new items in it its even harder to pick stuff now. So I would like some advice on how to design my WoC characters from some vets.

My old 2000pts build would usually be Lvl 4 Tzeentch on Disc and trimmings
Lvl 2 Tzeentch on Disc and other stuff
Lvl 2 Nurgle or Slaanesh Sorceror on foot

I'm not sure if I should drop my Lvl 4 Sorceror for a Lord or two exalteds. But the basis of what I would like to build my characters around are.

Lvl 4 Tzeentch on Disc
Lvl 2 Tzeentch on Disc
Exalted BSB on Foot or Mounted
Exalted Killer Mounted

Any thoughts on how to equip these guys. I've never taken a BSB before but now it is essential too.

Jericho
12-07-2010, 19:36
I think it's hard to come up with answers like this without knowing a bit about the rest of the army that you would like to run. Any particular theme? Favorite units? Any common opponents you are worried about? That sort of thing would help give a bit more context for advice.

The 5++ ward talisman sounds really juicy on a Tzeentch BSB, that's something I plan to experiment with right away.

randomkrazy
12-07-2010, 19:38
I agree with jericho, its very difficult to kit out a character without knowing what his exact purpose is and where he fits into your army. Whether or not he has a specific role or not is important.

12-07-2010, 20:41
Well I was looking at
two units of warriors around 15-18 one with HW/SS and one with 2xHW
15 Chosen with GW's
30 Marauders with HW/SS MoT
3 Dragon Ogres with GW
5 Knights of Khorne
5 Knights of Slaanesh
HellCannon
Slaanesh Giant
Hounds and/or Flail Horsemen

I have access to the following characters models

Lord/Exalted on Daemonic Mount
Lord/Exalted on Foot
Wulfrick
Slaanesh Sorc on Foot
Nurgle Sorc on Foot
Nurgle Sorc on Horse
2x Tzeentch on Discs
Daemon Princes.

13-07-2010, 01:48
should a bsb be killy or defensive.

Angelust
13-07-2010, 01:54
I like my BSB with flail, shield, Steed, book of Shadows, and dispel scroll.

For the same price as festus he is a BSB, 4 WS7 attacks at S7 on round 1, has maxed armor save and a 6+ ward in combat.

On top of that, he's a scroll caddy, and if your main wizard gets nuked, you can still use lots of dice from the winds of magic to get off some late game spells.

I feel it saves you from buying that extra lvl 2 wizard, and you still get a lot of the magic potential in him.

MayorDaley
15-07-2010, 18:40
How do you get a Dispell scroll on your BsB?

Does taking the Book mean you are a Lvl 1, or just have a spell like a Lvl 1.

popisdead
15-07-2010, 23:19
Lvl 4 w/ rulebook lore (since they are awesome) with Black Tongue and a bsb w/ Helm of stupidity on a juggy (on his own is fine) is going to be my standard non-troll build.

Cartoon
16-07-2010, 02:09
I prefer my bsb be defensive, especially in 8th since the benefits he provides are so important to the rest of the army. I'll probably give him a halberd, shield, and some combination of the MoT, either the 4+ or 5+ ward save pendant and depending on points left over maybe a magic weapon or helmet. I haven't figured out if I'm going to put him on a disk or put him on a steed in a unit of knights with the rage banner.

My other exalted will probably have either the axe of khorne or the helm of many eyes and some other magic weapon on a jugger in a unit of knights. I've been debating running him on foot though and putting him in a unit of chosen or maybe even marauders. Tough call.

randomkrazy
16-07-2010, 02:14
I like my BSB with flail, shield, Steed, book of Shadows, and dispel scroll.

For the same price as festus he is a BSB, 4 WS7 attacks at S7 on round 1, has maxed armor save and a 6+ ward in combat.

How does he get a 6+ ward in combat, from what I understood hand weapon shield combo only works on foot for the 6+ ward. Also if you use a flail you can't use a shield as its a two handed weapon.

I like that he can be an extra wizard, but it is also dangerous if you miscast with him, losing the BSB can be game changing, so I recommend throwing low amounts of dice at your spells with him.

Cartoon
16-07-2010, 03:08
Even with the shield the armor save would still clock in at 2+ though wouldn't it? The shield will still help protect from shooting attacks but once he gets to cc he will only have a 3+ armor save. I also was under the impression that the parry save is only for models on foot. I suppose you could slap the MoT on him to get the 6+ ward though. I believe the book only allows spells from specific lores, regardless of marks of chaos.