PDA

View Full Version : Empire Engineers Question.

Templar47
12-07-2010, 19:05
Well after reading the errant about the engineers, the benefits they give to our war machines sound awesome and I'm considering on adding one to my army. So in this example and if I read the errant correctly, if I had lets say 2x Great Cannons and a HSRB all on a hill, I could place the engineer behind them by himself, and since they would all be witihin his 3 inch range, each war machine would benefit from his rules or did I misread that somewhere? Also, I'm just curious if anyone has tried him out yet and how did he impact your war machines capabilities with him in your list?

I. Nailo
12-07-2010, 19:17
Nope:
"In addition, one war machine that is within 3" of a Master Engineer may re-roll either one scatter dice or one artillery dice per turn."

Only one war machine per turn.

Commodus Leitdorf
12-07-2010, 19:23
Well you could have him crowd around a bunch of warmachines but he would only be able to use hs ability once a turn.

That leaves you open to the second problem which violates one of the tenets of being an Empire player....never ever deploy your War Machines next to each other! Doing that is just asking for all your artillery being swept aside with one fell swoop of the enemies War Machine hunters.

Rockgut
12-07-2010, 20:47
Considering the power of Str 5 template weapons in 8th, I think the Engineer would be more useful if he could be used on the Rocket Battery.

Otherwise he is still a lot of points for what he does.I f you do use him, I'd suggest giving him a Hochland. Nice option every now and then.

Novrain
12-07-2010, 21:25
Could you say have 3 rocket batteries within 3" of the engineer, and fire all of them only using the engineer on the one that goes wrong? Or would you have to nominate which one he was watching before starting to fire?

Wrathiel
12-07-2010, 21:32
With the new FAQ, he CAN be used to reroll dice for the hellblaster and hellstorm.

SYN Ace
13-07-2010, 01:05
He can be used on any war machine within 3 inches of him -- however, he only gets one reroll per turn. I used him this way the other day and worked out fine -- until the unit of giant rats slammed into all my machines.

Spoonie
13-07-2010, 02:47
Yeah now he can just hang around 3-4 war machines and when one of them misfires, he can re-roll it. As mentioned, he's still an assload of points, and it makes your war machines more vulnerable to getting tied up in a combat with some schmucks, but might be handy. If all of your war machines fire smoothly then he can always use pigeon bombs, which still only hit a third of the time, but you're nailing quite a few guys with a small blast these days.

Overall it's 90 more points in warmachines. Worth trying now, I suppose but definitely not a must have.

Dark_Knight
13-07-2010, 03:35
I need to buy an engineer to sight my helblaster volley guy. :) When that thing goes off, wow, just wow. Hamburgers meat everywhere.

Souppilgrim
13-07-2010, 05:23
I use a master engineer near 3 machines. Use his ability on the one that goes wrong, or shoot his weapon if none misfire. I place my machines in an arrow formation so that normally a charge will only hit one at a time.

I think its a good way to go, but not for every list.

Clobbersaurus
13-07-2010, 05:38
I always put one near my mortar, and in the even that I don't need to re-roll, I have him use pigeon bombs.

sholcomb
13-07-2010, 05:43
As far as I can tell, in the new rules, an enemy unit may one charge 1 of your war machines unless it is impossible to not clip another. Managing this arrangement should be fairly easy.

SYN Ace
13-07-2010, 06:07
I need to buy an engineer to sight my helblaster volley guy. :) When that thing goes off, wow, just wow. Hamburgers meat everywhere.

Sadly, the engineer can no longer man an artillery piece, so no more BS4 helblaster shots. On the plus side, he can reroll misfires for it and can reroll the artillery or scatter dice for the Helstorm. And if he's within 3 inches of a war machine he gets a Look Out, Sir! roll as if he was within 3 inches of an infantry unit.

Adyger
14-07-2010, 20:41
Sadly, the engineer can no longer man an artillery piece, so no more BS4 helblaster shots. On the plus side, he can reroll misfires for it and can reroll the artillery or scatter dice for the Helstorm. And if he's within 3 inches of a war machine he gets a Look Out, Sir! roll as if he was within 3 inches of an infantry unit.

Yeah, the loss of the improved BS is a real loss, but I guess the re-roll for all machines is pretty good. I have one for my army, but may need to consider two now...The look out sir roll is great too!

RanaldLoec
14-07-2010, 23:37
With character slots gone I find I'm happy to run an engineer the re roll is great with any arty piece.

soots
15-07-2010, 02:46
And dont forget the roided portable stone thrower.

Lets him use the S4 small template pidgeon bombs in case the machines behave.