PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Heresy Companys

CKO
12-07-2010, 19:59
How many companies did space marine's legions have?

Karl MkVI
12-07-2010, 21:01
How many companies did space marine's legions have?

varies hugely, depending on the legion, and the fluff source. Horus Rising notes 25 companies for the Luna Wolves, but that doesn't mean that is all they have; it simply means that the book only mentions characters from those 25.

then we have the ultramarines, who have been stated (in HH: CV) to have had 250,000 marines. which means a lot of companies. further conjecture on the subject is added by dint of the fact that we dont know how many marines made up a company.

we dont even know if each legion had the same number of marines in each company: Horus Rising has 10th company composed of 300 marines, but this is the only book in the HH series that mentions company composition. in fact, it is unlikely that each legion had equal company composition: the Thousand Sons had only nine 'companies', and if these were 300 striong each, that would only = 2700 marines.

so, basically, im afarid the short (and, in truth, the long) answer, is that we have little way of telling. however, I would postulate it as being most likely that it varies between legions. which isn't remotely close to being a definitive anmswer either!!

this post might not seem very helpful, and for that I apologize, but really I typed it all out to explain why we don't know, which I hope helps at least a little bit :)

CKO
12-07-2010, 21:12
Its hard to write about 40k because you have to meet a realistic standard, but you have limited sources.

Your answer did not give me an exact answer but it gave me alot of helpful information.

malika
12-07-2010, 21:29
Depends on the Legion. The Word Bearers and Ultramarines for example were divided into Chapters which were further divided into Companies (at least the Ultramarines were). The Ultramarines probably had Chapters of 1000 marines, divided into 10 companies. The number of marines inside the Word Bearers Chapters varied. However, the Word Bearers also numbered their companies. It might seem a bit like a contradiction, but I think it's not. I think that the Word Bearers keep counting on their Companies, with this I mean that they won't go "1st company - first chapter, second company - first chapter, etc", but that for example the first Chapter has 3 companies (1st, 2nd and 3rd Company), the second Chapter will also have a number of companies (4th, 5th, 6th, etc Company) and so the numbers go up. This might explain why the Word Bearers have a 34th Company.

The Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus simply had companies. I guess these companies were larger than the 100 man companies of the current Codex Astartes.

Iron Warriors and Space Wolves were known to field "Great Companies", which were probably the same as the Companies of the Luna Wolves. If I'm not mistaken the Space Wolves had 13 Great Companies. Don't know about the Iron Warriors though.

The Death Guard only had 7 companies.