PDA

View Full Version : Just got a new Skaven Army

Navar
13-07-2010, 03:56
So thanks to the new edition and ebay I am the proud owner of a new skaven army, or at least the start of one.

Here is what I bought and my questions follow:

Skaven Army Book

4 boxes of Clanrats 20 per box

3 boxes of Nightrunners 20 per box

24 Storm Vermin includes command

2 Warp Lightning Cannons

6 Jezzail Teams

4 Ratling Gunners

3 Packmasters with Rats

2 Warlock Engineers

2 Skaven Warlords

1 Grey Seer Thanquil and Rat Ogre bodygaurd

1 Grey Seer

2 Army Standard Bearers

So, here are the questions:

#1 What don't I need out of the above?
#2 What do I need that I don't have. (I seem to be reading a lot about the Hell Pit)
#3 How should I build what I do have (ie should I put shields on the clanrats?)
#4 As a fantasy newb and new to Skaven, is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance

PS I like the idea of Assassins and I love the Deathmaster model. Are they good? I don't really understand how they work.

qwertycg
13-07-2010, 05:17
So thanks to the new edition and ebay I am the proud owner of a new skaven army, or at least the start of one.

Here is what I bought and my questions follow:

Skaven Army Book

4 boxes of Clanrats 20 per box

3 boxes of Nightrunners 20 per box

24 Storm Vermin includes command

2 Warp Lightning Cannons

6 Jezzail Teams

4 Ratling Gunners

3 Packmasters with Rats

2 Warlock Engineers

2 Skaven Warlords

1 Grey Seer Thanquil and Rat Ogre bodygaurd

1 Grey Seer

2 Army Standard Bearers

So, here are the questions:

#1 What don't I need out of the above?
#2 What do I need that I don't have. (I seem to be reading a lot about the Hell Pit)
#3 How should I build what I do have (ie should I put shields on the clanrats?)
#4 As a fantasy newb and new to Skaven, is there anything else I need to know?

Thanks in advance

PS I like the idea of Assassins and I love the Deathmaster model. Are they good? I don't really understand how they work.

Ok I like to use big blocks of rats. I normally take 2 units of 50 rats with spears. 1 block of 40 stormvermin for my screaming bell. I switch between my rat ogers or my plague monks it depends. I also use a doomwheel 2 cannons and a hell pit abom. You have a good start but honestly I have had great luck with my doombell. I would get one.

Xynok
13-07-2010, 10:26
On the clanrats you want shields definately and spears maybe. Up to you about the spears I'm going to be mixing it up with a couple of smaller units of hw/s (hand weapon/shield) and 2, 50-man, spear hordes.

Night runners I don't use so don't know much about them. I like the idea of them though. They're quick but you probably want to use them in smaller units (20/25) instead of hordes.

Jezzails are cool but only worth it against certain targets. If you're enemy isn't using ogres/heavy cavalry you can probably spend the points better elsewhere.

I don't like stormvermin, they're too expensive for me but with the supporting attacks now they're a lot better.

Ratling guns are cool, but move-or-fire which puts me off. Strong though can deal with heavy infantry well.

Cannons are going to be a lot better in the new edition with people fielding deeper units and so I would recommend them.

Giant rats are nice, they're quick and tend to be ignored. Good for getting in the way and they charge quite a long way too.

Battle standard is a must. No doubt about that (you need the rerolls)

Assassins are better now so you can throw one in if you want (I plan on trying it out later against a DE player)

Warlock engineers are okay, I just haven't seen mine do a fantastic amount.

Grey seers are cool. We can pull off the curse of the horned rat easier now which is fun and they've got quite a fearsome array of spells.

In the short term you'll want to crack on with your clanrats and get some slaves in there. Do up your BSB and maybe the engineers. Throw in some special stuff, probably cannon/s. You'll want to get some plague monks and rat ogres soon probably and with 4 boxes of clanrats not really being enough (I have 7 I think and still getting more soon) you could think about a battalion to give you all that good stuff at a bit of a discount.

I'm not an amazingly experienced player but hope that helps a bit.

Navar
13-07-2010, 12:08
Cool. My initial plan to expand is to pick up a couple of the Island of blood sets. That will get me slaves, clanrats, and some other things.

I don't really like plague monks, but I do like Rat Ogres so I will get some of them.

I also don't really like the idea of stormvermin and I will adopt a wait and see approach for using them.

A screaming bell I do want to get however.

Thanks for the responses so far.

For background I still play 40k primarily I just really like the new fantasy rules and the Skaven. In 40k I play Codex Marines and Tyranids.

PurchasedPig
13-07-2010, 12:53
I'm not a Skaven player myself but what I have noticed about the army is that you should definitely think more hordey than otherwise. There are a lot of shiny gubbins that can distract players but these should only augment a massive horde. How you go about this is entirely up to you.

I would also seriously recommend the Screaming Bell for your General as the Leadership bonus is crucial and now the Bell grants a bigger Leadership bubble.

-PurchasedPig-

Navar
13-07-2010, 13:46
Well the good thing about being "new" to warhammer Fantasy is that I don't have a way of thinking. I was already planning on getting a couple of Island of Blood sets to round out the horde. This is one of the reasons I don't really like the Stormvermin as I don't see the advantage they give me with the current rule set (hard to do a Stormvermin Horde).

I really like the idea of Assassins, but I don't really understand exactly how they work in the game.

Also I really like the screaming bell, so I will 100% be picking on of them up.

The big questions I have is how to kit out the troops. It looks like spears are the way to go, but I would love to hear opinions as to why that is.