PDA

View Full Version : 2250 Orcs & Goblins

Sliver
13-07-2010, 08:04
The idea is to rely on a few big units, with lots of heroes. Heavy magic and some warmachines to soften up the enemy, trolls and chariots as support for some extra punch when WAAAGH is called and the army charges!

Lords (24,9%)

(a) Black Orc Warboss: Shield, Ironback Boar, Akrit Axe, Armour of fortune. (2+ save, 5+ ward) - 243 -
(a) Savage Orc Shaman: Powerstone. - 210 -

(d) Night Goblin Warboss: Shield, Gamblers armour, Martogs basha, Guzzlas Brew. (4+ save, 6+ ward) - 108 -

Heroes (21,5%)

(b) Black orc big boss: Heavy armour, shield, Dragon helm, Potion of foolhardiness. (3+ save) - 101 -
(b) Night goblin shaman: Extra level, 2 Magic Mushroom, dispell scroll. - 130 -

(c) Night goblin shaman: 1 Magic Mushroom, scroll of shielding. - 75 -
(c) Night goblin Big Boss: Battle standard, Armour of destiny. (5+ save, 4+ ward) - 105 -
(c) Night goblin Big Boss: Great axe, Ironcurse Icon (6+ ward vs warmachines, for the unit). - 39 -

(d) Night goblin Big Boss: Great axe. - 34 -

Core (37.9%)

(a) 29 Orc Boys: Dual choppa, light armour. Sb,c,m. - 233 -
(b) 29 Orc Boys: Dual choppa, light armour. Sb,c,m. - 233 -
(c) 37 Nightgoblins: Shield, nets. Sb,c,m. - -158 -
(d) 37 Night goblins: Shield, nets. Sb,c,m. - 158 -
5 Spider riders: m . - 71 -

Special (12%)
Goblin chariot: Extra crew. - 63 -
Goblin chariot: Extra crew. - 63 -
2 Goblin spear chukka - 70 -
Rock lobba: Orc bully . - 75 -

Rare (3.6%)

Troll - 40 -
Troll - 40 -

Total: 2249

My conserns are: Do I have to few infantry blocks? Is the army to slow to work properly? Did I invest to much points in survivability for key heroes?

Comments greatly appreciated.

thesheriff
13-07-2010, 08:29
Firstly, i think that you goblin warboss should be armed as the archeon assassin. Tis is Triksys trinket, Luckys dirk and amulet of Protectyness. he is cheap and fun.

I also think you have too many hereos. They could be invested in more spearchuckas or trolls, (which seem a bit pointless on theer own)

thesheriff

D'Haran
13-07-2010, 15:44
You might have spent too much on heroes and lords (45% between them). You probably have about enough bodies on the board. Personally I'd like to see another rock lobba or a unit of Black Orcs, and 2 trolls aren't going to do anything, field 6 in 2 ranks of 3 (they'll all get their full attacks in combat, all 6). Otherwise drop them for Doom Diver or some Wagons.

On another note your list is illegal. Mages can only have a max of 1 arcane item, this means magic mushroom OR scroll, both are illegal.

Lastly your spider riders will only break ranks if they all survive unit the end of combat. Ranks are now counted at the end of combat and you need a min of a full 5 man rank to count for breaking ranks.

Sliver
13-07-2010, 18:42
You might have spent too much on heroes and lords (45% between them). You probably have about enough bodies on the board. Personally I'd like to see another rock lobba or a unit of Black Orcs, and 2 trolls aren't going to do anything, field 6 in 2 ranks of 3 (they'll all get their full attacks in combat, all 6). Otherwise drop them for Doom Diver or some Wagons.

You might be right about heroes, I'll test to see if it works or not. Is there none thinking characther spam is viable?

Black Orcs seems so expensive for what they do, but I might give them a go. How should I field them? 6x4? I'll swapp in another lobba once I have one available.

I think solo trolls should be great for support. With T4 W3 and 4+ regen, they can take quite alot of damage before dying. And S5 A3 means they hit hard, and one additional stomp attack aswell. Compared to goblin heroes with great weapon, those guys hit just as hard and survives better. It needs a unit for static combat resolution thou, but I think it will work out well.

On another note your list is illegal. Mages can only have a max of 1 arcane item, this means magic mushroom OR scroll, both are illegal.

Nope. The rules for magic mushrooms clearly states that they do not count as arcane items.

Lastly your spider riders will only break ranks if they all survive unit the end of combat. Ranks are now counted at the end of combat and you need a min of a full 5 man rank to count for breaking ranks.

Their purpose would be to rush warmachines. In the long run I'll be working on a 12-15 strong wolfrider unit for flanking.

Milgram
14-07-2010, 13:24
I'd clearly cut the lobba for a diver. for 5 points more you are more accurate and you ignore armour saves at S5. S3 with full armour is just not that great - even with possible 20+ hits with a lobba, it will only be 10 wounds and 6.5 dead on a medicore, large unit with LA/shield. it will be about 1 against a cavallry unit - if you hit with the center of the lobba.

diver is way more consistent in what he does.

TheSaxon
14-07-2010, 13:56
The numbers per unit are a bit strange to me. What formations do you plan on running?

I feel like at such a high points level it'd be wasteful not to make use of a couple of big horde units. at least of the cheap gobbos.

Sliver
14-07-2010, 18:34
I'd clearly cut the lobba for a diver. for 5 points more you are more accurate and you ignore armour saves at S5. S3 with full armour is just not that great - even with possible 20+ hits with a lobba, it will only be 10 wounds and 6.5 dead on a medicore, large unit with LA/shield. it will be about 1 against a cavallry unit - if you hit with the center of the lobba.

diver is way more consistent in what he does.

I might add a diver. But I'd say the lobba and diver are used for different purposes. The diver is for sniping heavy armoured troops, while the lobba is for decimating big blocks of infantry.

The numbers per unit are a bit strange to me. What formations do you plan on running?

I feel like at such a high points level it'd be wasteful not to make use of a couple of big horde units. at least of the cheap gobbos.

I will run them 5 wide. I guess the numbers are not very even, but that doesnt matter much does it?

The only benefit of horde units is the increased number of attacks, isnt it? Thats quite a weak boost for crappy fighters like goblins, while the cost and unit width increases substantially. In my oppinion its not worth it.

Milgram
15-07-2010, 06:46
the diver can reduce a large enemy unit by 1 rank, which most of the time will be enough. since you play orcs and they are probably the top tier cheap infantry there is, you should be able to kick the asses of any 25+ unit with low armour/toughness there is.

btw: the 6.5 kills will ony occure on a chance of 1:3 and only if you have a 20mm, T3, 5+ AF unit with 25+ models in 5 ranks for a target, the rest of the time you will do worse.

patchy
15-07-2010, 08:00
i dont see anything particularly hard hitting, i think you may struggle in alot of games. should be aiming for horde formation with them goblin blocks. sure its loads of ws 2 str3 attacks but the sheer amount of dice means more chance of wounding..

why the boar on the black orc big boss? unless errata'd soon, you only get look out sir if its the same unit type.(ruins alot of standard builds)
is the second black orc a bsb? OnG need to have a bsb...

Sliver
15-07-2010, 13:56
i dont see anything particularly hard hitting, i think you may struggle in alot of games. should be aiming for horde formation with them goblin blocks. sure its loads of ws 2 str3 attacks but the sheer amount of dice means more chance of wounding.

What hardhitting upgrade do you suggest? The magic and heroes should hit pretty hard.

Should I reconsolidate my goblin regiments to field one 54 regiment and one 20 regiment with bows?

why the boar on the black orc big boss? unless errata'd soon, you only get look out sir if its the same unit type.(ruins alot of standard builds)
is the second black orc a bsb? OnG need to have a bsb...

The save should keep him alive except vs cannons I guess, so I'll have a different list when facing cannons for now. Have the model done and its one of the miniatures I'm most proud of.

There is a goblin BSB, with armour of destiny, to make him last as long as possible.

lazaro44
15-07-2010, 20:05
between diver and lobba i prefer lobba , against big blocks , which we will see a lot in 8th , even in armys like chaos , demons , and elves.
i know stenght 3 is a little poor , but i used 2 against elves , and they hit hard one unit . obviusly i roll 2 hits :P .

I wouldnt relly in Magic , i used 1Level 4 Orc and 1 Level 2 Gob , and in two turns , i had 3 dice for casting .

the trolls will just run , against 3 files , and standarts. :( one unit of 6 trolls , is something more reliable.

the goblins are great in horde . 40 , 4 files , volley fire .
and they are so cheap . :)

excuse my english i m from argentina

Sliver
15-07-2010, 20:39
between diver and lobba i prefer lobba , against big blocks , which we will see a lot in 8th , even in armys like chaos , demons , and elves.
i know stenght 3 is a little poor , but i used 2 against elves , and they hit hard one unit . obviusly i roll 2 hits :P .

I wouldnt relly in Magic , i used 1Level 4 Orc and 1 Level 2 Gob , and in two turns , i had 3 dice for casting .

the trolls will just run , against 3 files , and standarts. :( one unit of 6 trolls , is something more reliable.

the goblins are great in horde . 40 , 4 files , volley fire .
and they are so cheap . :)

excuse my english i m from argentina

I agree, the lobba is the tool to use to decimate horde units, the doomdiver wont hit many enougth.

I dont really rely on magic, but it should be able to deliver quite a punch. And even with a bad roll, powerstone and 3x mushrooms among the casters gives me the possibility to add 5 power dice.

The trolls are for support, they should never enter a combat unless they got a big infantry unit with em, or they will die/run as you said.

I'll split the units to have one smaller shooty unit and one close combat horde.