PDA

View Full Version : 2250 8th Edition Warriors of Chaos

Poseidal
13-07-2010, 09:47
Come new edition and I need to rethink and see what to make now. Here's the first list I thought of so far:

Lords (18.7%)
Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch (L4), Disc, Blood of Tzeentch, 4+ Ward Item, Enchanted Shield, Roar @ 420

Heroes (17.2%)
Battle Standard Bearer of Tzeentch, Chaos Steed, Halberd, 5+ Ward Item, Dragonhelm @ 205

Sorcerer (L2), Chaos Steed, Power Familiar, Ignore First Hit Shield, Warmachine Save, Screaming Blade @ 181 EDIT: Realised hero level sorcerers can't take shadows - need to rethink this one.

Core (29%)
18 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch, Shields, Full Command, Rapturous Standard @ 358

25 Chaos Maruaders of Khorne, Great Weapons, Full Command @ 175

15 Chaos Marauders of Khorne, Flails, Musician @ 109

2 x 5 Warhounds @ 60

Special (24%)
6 Knights, Musician, Standard, Banner of Rage @ 305

3 Dragon Ogres with Great Weapons @ 231

Rare (9.1%)
1 Hellcannon @ 205

The idea is that the Wizard joins the Warriors granting fear and the 5+ Ward Save against Warmachines. Although he's Cavalry, the shield is to protect him from the first Warmachine that hits. The reason he's cavalry is that he can sometimes swap places with the BSB if the need arises, or even the Level 4 (I think Discs are still classed as Cavalry).

The default Shadow spell is useful for reducing ranged attacks coming in, and in combat can drop a unit's WS so the Marauders might get to hit on 3s (or the Warriors for high WS opponents). Any other shadow spell would be a bonus, reducing T or S would be great against the direct damage from the other sources; ironically the least useful spells to roll are the top ones, which are really offensive.

The BSB is mainly to stay alive, but can hold his own in most challenges. I'm wary of not giving him a magic weapon (he used the sword of might in 7th) but the time it would have been needed (ethereal units, Dryads etc) never turned up. The Dragon Helm will be useful for the improved save (as he can't use the shield) and when in combat with a guy with flaming attacks; he goes with the knights generally but is ready to swap with the mounted wizard if it comes to it.

General is a reasonable typical L4 build, with the 3+ ward overall and Blood of Tzeentch to shape the magic phase (still considering the puppet, but this is prevention rather than an insurance policy where I would still pay the excess)

The Warriors are the main anvil block, the Marauders are to smash face, the Knights and Dragon Ogres support those units. Hellcannon and Dogs do their typical roles.

Jericho
14-07-2010, 17:21
Exalted with Book of Secrets, Spell Familiar & Ironcurse Icon instead of L2? If Ironcurse Icon and the shield both cost a nickel like I think they do, you can take the shield of whatever as well. Just off the top of my head I think that might work. With Exalteds getting Mark of Tzeentch cheaper than sorcs, he can take that as well. Basically gets you a L2 Shadow mage with way better stats for what I believe might actually be the same price :D

Ironcurse Icon might be a problem tho, as I can't remember what class of magic item it is.

I wish I had my army book on me (sadly I'm at work) but that sounds like a badass character build now that I think about it. Book of Secrets really can't be used the same way it was before.

Poseidal
14-07-2010, 17:24
That actually sounds pretty cool. The PD from the Spell Familiar isn't around though, but the effect will still be there.

And he'll rock socks in combat (comparatively). I can even give him a Halberd or Flail, which a sorcerer can't.

Morthak
14-07-2010, 17:29
Come new edition and I need to rethink and see what to make now. Here's the first list I thought of so far:

Lords (18.7%)
Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch (L4), Disc, Blood of Tzeentch, 4+ Ward Item, Enchanted Shield, Roar @ 420

A good build, the 3+ ward is much better than the former Golden Eye of Tzeentch. Blood of Tzeentch is priceless. Most spells will be cast when you roll a 6 anyway, except gateway, so re-rolling that 6 is a good choice instead of taking the hit.

Heroes (17.2%)
Battle Standard Bearer of Tzeentch, Chaos Steed, Halberd, 5+ Ward Item, Dragonhelm @ 205

Great too, 4+ ward is tough enough with a 1+ save.

Sorcerer (L2), Chaos Steed, Power Familiar, Ignore First Hit Shield, Warmachine Save, Screaming Blade @ 181 EDIT: Realised hero level sorcerers can't take shadows - need to rethink this one.

I'm not so sure about the chaos steed on this one, no LOS! can be desastrous to him. Lore of Metal can also easily knock him out.

Core (29%)
18 Chaos Warriors of Tzeentch, Shields, Full Command, Rapturous Standard @ 358

25 Chaos Maruaders of Khorne, Great Weapons, Full Command @ 175

15 Chaos Marauders of Khorne, Flails, Musician @ 109

They might have too few numbers, only a small amount of bowfire will render them useless. They are something to try though, I'd love to hear how they preform.

2 x 5 Warhounds @ 60

Special (24%)
6 Knights, Musician, Standard, Banner of Rage @ 305

3 Dragon Ogres with Great Weapons @ 231

Both Knights and Dragon Ogres? Knights have enough attacks to make it work, but Dragon Ogres will have trouble with the even larger blocks of troops. I field Knights just like you, but they haven't proved their worth just yet.

Rare (9.1%)
1 Hellcannon @ 205

The idea is that the Wizard joins the Warriors granting fear and the 5+ Ward Save against Warmachines. Although he's Cavalry, the shield is to protect him from the first Warmachine that hits. The reason he's cavalry is that he can sometimes swap places with the BSB if the need arises, or even the Level 4 (I think Discs are still classed as Cavalry).

The default Shadow spell is useful for reducing ranged attacks coming in, and in combat can drop a unit's WS so the Marauders might get to hit on 3s (or the Warriors for high WS opponents). Any other shadow spell would be a bonus, reducing T or S would be great against the direct damage from the other sources; ironically the least useful spells to roll are the top ones, which are really offensive.

The BSB is mainly to stay alive, but can hold his own in most challenges. I'm wary of not giving him a magic weapon (he used the sword of might in 7th) but the time it would have been needed (ethereal units, Dryads etc) never turned up. The Dragon Helm will be useful for the improved save (as he can't use the shield) and when in combat with a guy with flaming attacks; he goes with the knights generally but is ready to swap with the mounted wizard if it comes to it.

General is a reasonable typical L4 build, with the 3+ ward overall and Blood of Tzeentch to shape the magic phase (still considering the puppet, but this is prevention rather than an insurance policy where I would still pay the excess)

The Warriors are the main anvil block, the Marauders are to smash face, the Knights and Dragon Ogres support those units. Hellcannon and Dogs do their typical roles.

Comments added in red.

A nice list, do try it out and tell us how it went!

Morthak

thesheriff
14-07-2010, 20:47
I would just take Trolls instead of Drogers. 5 trolls with mutant regen will do well front and centre to saok up fire. And Throgg instead of the Lv.2 is what i would do. He is just....well....monsterous!

But, the rest is good.

thesheriff