PDA

View Full Version : Colour Schemes for the Colour Blind.

cav da man
13-07-2010, 14:27
I was just wondering if there are other people out there with the same problems who've managed to find good ways around it without resorting to really boring(or stupidly ugly trying to use colours you can recognise) colour schemes :D.

I remember this from my first day of going to a games workshop with my Imperial Guard as an 11 year old and getting mocked by the huge fat greasy guy running the shop because the models i'd tried so hard over were splattered with orange and red(on camo) in some quite ugly places that i hadn't noticed :cries:.

This time around i'm going for my own tau, just because i enjoy the fluff and the models and they're a little more basic to paint ontop of all of that and i won't get odd questions as to why i'm never going to be able to paint camo or skin tones properly whenever i meet somebody new :D.

So if anybody has any cool ideas/stories or pictures of their armies that make good use of pretty basic and easy colours i think it'd be cool to get a thread going for us colour cripples!

Lord Khabal
13-07-2010, 14:34
Cant go wrong with necrons. Any metal colour will do! :)

cav da man
13-07-2010, 14:36
necrons are THE MOST BORING thing ever D:.

also you'd be surprised how easy it is to mix grey/silver with pink and light blue ;)

Mannimarco
13-07-2010, 15:01
cadians: desert yellow spray paint and armour and weapons painted catachan green, simple and effective

wazatdingder
13-07-2010, 15:11
Old school Khorne, green and red:evilgrin:

Honestly though, there are different color blinds, what can you see. I suggest either picking colors you are comfy with or following GW painting instructions to the tee. Keep your pots labeled and know exactly where you put what on the model. Study color theory, just because you cannot see it doesn't mean you can't understand how it works. I'm sure your local university will offer it.

Mannimarco
13-07-2010, 15:25
Could always use this blank circle populated with dots as your army's logo:

Thats really really uncool

Godzooky
13-07-2010, 15:26
Thats really really uncool

Yes, I'm sorry. I will remove it now. Apologies.

cav da man
13-07-2010, 15:36
lol i'm severely red-green colourblind, for my orange and green are virtually identical. Blue<->purple<->pink are all interchangable and red<-->brown<-->green

depending on shade, i was actually trying to get this thread to be more generalised and not just about me, maybe there arn't any other colourblind noobs around at the moment though :P

like i said i was going for tau, my painting skills arn't great but i was thinking of simply going for a dark black/brown undercoat with white armour highlighted with bright blood kinda red.

Godzooky
13-07-2010, 15:38
like i said i was going for tau, my painting skills arn't great but i was thinking of simply going for a dark black/brown undercoat with white armour highlighted with bright blood kinda red.

Have you thought about monochrome Tau? Black and white would look awesome if done right and the sharp contrast would be easy to pick out when painting. :)

Axeman1n
13-07-2010, 15:50
My brother's army is White with black lines. He has a few spots of yellow or orange or red to show unit markings, but that is all. It looks sweet!

mel_danes
13-07-2010, 15:52
My wife helps me with color, same problem as the OP. My cg work is a challenge for that reason too.

Cav just use basic color triangle theories. Get a good color and find it's compliment. When I started I went with Ultra's because blue is a color I see well. I used Red trim for the third Company because yellow/gold is too common. Your idea for the Tau sounds fine.
A base of dark brown/black fabric and joints, white or cream colored armour then use red as an accent color for stripes or unit markings. it should look fine.

Keep at it, it's frustrating but rewarding.

megatrons2nd
13-07-2010, 16:07
I go with deeper shades of a color. I am not nearly as bad as you. I have problems with blue/green/gray, purple/pink, and red/orange. If the shade is dark enough I can tell the difference but lighter shades I haven't got down yet.

The side affect is my army supposedly looks like a cartoon. All the colors have sharp drop-offs and I don't even try to shade it anymore.

N810
13-07-2010, 16:18
Blue and yellow are a good scheme for the color blind. ;)

Eldoriath
13-07-2010, 16:47
Three basic colours: White/Light grey, Black, Dark brown and Light green. Worked fine for me though I made additions Dark green as well.

In attached picture I also used red trimming. Even though it's not a Fire warrior and a heavily converted Broadside you get a picture of how the colourscheme works.

cav da man
13-07-2010, 17:14
wow is that a broadside style drone? D:

wazatdingder
13-07-2010, 18:36
You could always go with old school Noise Marine color scheme. It's supposed to be a hideous mix of colors. Tau that worship Slannesh.

KingDeath
13-07-2010, 19:09
Armies which are mainly black white or grey might be the best.
A combination of various grey shades would be more than suitable for cadres which are involved in urban warfare.

The SkaerKrow
13-07-2010, 19:34
I have to agree with the monochrome suggestion. Do most of the armor in black/white/grey, and use a color that you're comfortable with for your accents. It should look very striking.

Jayden63
13-07-2010, 20:06
necrons are THE MOST BORING thing ever D:.

also you'd be surprised how easy it is to mix grey/silver with pink and light blue ;)

Necrons are only as boring as you want them to be.

http://www.pbase.com/jayden63/image/52283134/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/jayden63/image/52477938/original.jpg

A nice desert camo or shading should be easy to do, even if color blind. Its just browns and tans. Get someone you trust to pick the right colors and just go with a light to dark color scheme.

canucklhead
13-07-2010, 22:43
My biggest issue. I'm horrendously colour blind. My painting day goes like this.

mix, mix, mix. run downstairs, "what colour is this?"

uhmm. Kind of brownish.

CRAP.

run upstairs and repeat.

As an actual bit of advice. Choose a couple of colours you like and can work with. Start with that colour darkened with a bit of black wash, and then layer it by building with only one other colour (like white) to make your highlights. This is actually pretty decent as soldiers tend to have a pretty standard look.

cav da man
13-07-2010, 23:11
have to say that like alotta colourblind people i'm shockingly artless at best just because from an early age painting and colouring have been something that is frustrating at best XD.

i'm glad there are other people who are as bad as me ^^

anyway, yeah white armoured tau with dark, probably black undies and red higlighted pieces like certain chunks of the shoulders.

I was thinking of making my vehicles all black and then highlighting all the detailed lines and cracks with silver, (if you look at the way tau armor is designed there are a lot of small grooves cut into them just to give you something to look at) and then maybe painting details like the hatches red :)

yabbadabba
13-07-2010, 23:31
@ cav da man. I am also colour blind, it was identified 29 years ago. All I can say is learn the words! As much as possible I try and keep to a simple pallet I am comfortable with, regardless of the colour. I am not afraid to ask for help. And I try and equate new colours to those I know from my paint range.

I still have a bugger of a time with WWI and WWI camoflage ;)
Good Luck Fella.

Nezalhualixtlan
13-07-2010, 23:32
I'd suggest getting a friend to help you out during the design phase. Pick something relatively simple, where the pieces are clear which colors go where, and figuring out exactly which colors of wash and highlight go on where is just something you do by recipe. I'd probably try to stick to pre defined paint pot colors without needing to mix.

gwarsh41
14-07-2010, 00:02
Necrons are only as boring as you want them to be.

http://www.pbase.com/jayden63/image/52283134/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/jayden63/image/52477938/original.jpg

A nice desert camo or shading should be easy to do, even if color blind. Its just browns and tans. Get someone you trust to pick the right colors and just go with a light to dark color scheme.

Still boring to me :evilgrin:
I actually really loved the thought of the army, then I saw someones army. It was not the paint that was boring, it was the models. Ironically, I did not like them because I could not "Bring the model to life" through building it and painting it!

brother_fandango
14-07-2010, 00:25
I've always seriously wanted to do a greyscale army... black, white, and 3 grayshades would look AWESOME!

Thylacine
14-07-2010, 15:08
Colour blind and painting Space Wolves!

Blending seems to cause me the most grief.

What CP rating are you?

N810
14-07-2010, 15:11
Perhaps you could limit your pallete to only the colors you can see well..?
(I used to work with a guy who was red/green color blind)

Eldoriath
14-07-2010, 16:11
wow is that a broadside style drone? D:

I've always imagined it as a small, 1-man crewed tank in the form of a broadside. Hovering and stuff is to represent Advanced Stabilisation System. Basically a in-betwen of a broadside and a tank. Broadside; armour and armament. Tank; mobility and stability.

I've always imagined my tau to be a bit experimental about new vehicles, suits, tactics and stuff and this is one of the results. This is also first time I tried heavily conversion and first army that I painted, thus no high-lights or shadowing and just plain colour.

cav da man
15-07-2010, 00:23
I've always imagined it as a small, 1-man crewed tank in the form of a broadside. Hovering and stuff is to represent Advanced Stabilisation System. Basically a in-betwen of a broadside and a tank. Broadside; armour and armament. Tank; mobility and stability.

I've always imagined my tau to be a bit experimental about new vehicles, suits, tactics and stuff and this is one of the results. This is also first time I tried heavily conversion and first army that I painted, thus no high-lights or shadowing and just plain colour.

interesting, it looks pretty nice :)

another problem i personally have is painting kroot since i have quite serious trouble with almost every colour that makes nice looking skin..i might actually buy some painted ones off e-bay or from a professional painter :)

anyway, anybody else have any personal experience? and yeah blending colours is great too, maybe it's my impatient nature but i usually end up with sorta sticky mud coloured paint no matter what i do :D

Sgt John Keel
15-07-2010, 01:37
Perhaps the How to paint Citadel miniatures book could be useful. It contains some colour theory, and since it's produced by GW, it often applies that theory to their paint range by name.

If you don't want to spend the cash, check if your library has it.

Lord Martel
15-07-2010, 02:37
If you donít mind spending some cash there are professional painting services out there.

I think my friends use this one.

http://www.miniaturelovers.com/

It can take awhile but I have seen the results and they are fairly good for the money.

Have someone paint a test figure or send them a picture with the color scheme.

E-bay sells full painted armies.

thevampiredio
15-07-2010, 05:38
naruto orange and blue!!!!
nah just kidding. my tau is blue and grey tones. http://thevampiredio.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d2bcrk1
go urban camo! cant go wrong with it.