PDA

View Full Version : Would you accept an Opponent using actual toys?

EvC
27-02-2006, 22:39
As opposed to toy soldiers, but proper toys, or collectors models, like these:
http://www.epicheroes.com/webshopnew/byproductProductID.asp?ID=19431
http://www.epicheroes.com/webshopnew/byproductProductID.asp?ID=19432
(the second one as a Merwyrm, obviously)

Or would that be going against the spirit of the hobby (whatever that is)..?

Trench_Raider
27-02-2006, 22:46
I would not care. But I'm a very reasonable player and not a WYSIWYG fetishist. A few moments declaring what each unit represents an bringing a written army list in case there is any confusion should be more than enough for any reasonable opponent.

There is no "GW hobby". The hobby is miniature wargaming and no, I don;t see how that would go against the spirit of it.

"Trench Raider"

who thinks those dragons are far better than the snake looking GW offerings....

taer
27-02-2006, 22:58
Of course I would! I still scavenge toys for models. I'm currently turning a mega-blocks long boat into a marauder longboat.

Quin 242
27-02-2006, 23:01
Those are much better sculpts that the weak GW dragons.. if they fit the correct base size then I'd be fine with it.

ZomboCom
28-02-2006, 02:10
I don't see the problem. Sure they're toys, but who cares? As long as they look enough like what they're repesenting and they're on the right base, I couldn't care less. Plenty of GW models look worse than those.

Trunks
28-02-2006, 04:04
I'd have no problem with it. There might be a bit of a clash when it comes to aesthetics unless you repaint them though (not that I'd care, I field bare metal armies).

The Vorpal One
28-02-2006, 07:50
I am not really into that type of thing. I prefer not using a toy.

Avian
28-02-2006, 08:42
A friend of mine bought one of the other Dragons from that company, stuck an old metal Wood Elf Scout on top and mounted the whole thing onto a plastic cannon thingy (unknown company) glued to a chariot base.

I must sadly say that it looked crap, but that's what you get for spending five minutes on what should be considered a major project.

I must say I rather like the MacFarlane dragons and if I wanted to include a dragon in my army I would use one of those.

Venkh
28-02-2006, 10:15
What are there made of? They look like they are made of the same stuff as heroclix.

I think they look really good, GW really need to compare their rather pathetic design with the great stuff offered by other manufacturers.

On topic, i wouldnt mind at all, as long as it was properly integrated into the rest of the army. I once refused to play against an opponent using lego pegasus knights, so i do have some standards.

Crube
28-02-2006, 10:18
in a friendly game, then as long as base sixes and approximate sizes were right then no problem.

Lego pegasus Knights? could be interesting...:D - I'd play against them a couple of times, but after that, I'd say that some bettr form of model should be bought....

Would I ever use toys. Not personally. I prefer to paint and collect an army to tournament standard. That is not to say that I wouldn't use other companies minis, it's just that so far, for what I need, GW has been good enough, or better than the alternative, and / or more accessible...

thommo
28-02-2006, 10:44
i'd have no problem at all, especially in friendly games - people at my club have substituted ogres for them ugly looking "troll" toys (with the quiff of hair!! :p ) and i've seen Salamanders as 25p plastic dinosaur models.

if you enter a competition, you agree to the rules of the competition but for fun games and day to day playing...no probs!

Scythe
28-02-2006, 18:48
Heh, I have fought against cardboxes, plastic toy elephants used as siege towers, empty bases and legos in the past. I would get over it...;)

unforgiven555
28-02-2006, 19:05
As opposed to toy soldiers, but proper toys, or collectors models, like these:
http://www.epicheroes.com/webshopnew/byproductProductID.asp?ID=19432
(the second one as a Merwyrm, obviously)

I would accept someone playing with quarters and dimes, or even peices of paper (although the'd have to write down the unit's name). If someone wants to play a game, I am more than happy to oblige.

GREEN IS DA BEST
28-02-2006, 19:21
As long as the person dosnt say that the toy is something in the begining of the game and then decide to lie and change his mind at a important part of the game then im cool with it.

Sam
28-02-2006, 19:27
A friend of mine bought one of the other Dragons from that company, stuck an old metal Wood Elf Scout on top and mounted the whole thing onto a plastic cannon thingy (unknown company) glued to a chariot base.

I must sadly say that it looked crap, but that's what you get for spending five minutes on what should be considered a major project.

I must say I rather like the MacFarlane dragons and if I wanted to include a dragon in my army I would use one of those.

Kinda off topic, but do you think it would fit in better if he had actaully primed the toy and then painted it up? I wonder how well that would work....

Anyone ever try?

Back on topic, not a big deal to me. I'm happy to play and understand if a palyer doesn't have every figure. As long as it all get explained im happy.

Inferno_firewarrior
28-02-2006, 19:47
Yer i'd gladly play with one of the cos they look far better. The only problem i'd have is that if they were trying to pull it off as a really pwerfull dragon or some rubbish like that

EvC
28-02-2006, 23:17
Glad to see everyone's so accepting... I remember one game I let my opponent use his mobile phone as a Scraplauncher (plus he had three rare choices in a 2000 point game), though it just ended up meaning he kept forgetting the machine was there! :D

EvilIncarnate
28-02-2006, 23:34
I would play them as long as the toy or whatever is on the right size base.

gorenut
28-02-2006, 23:40
I would definitely have no problems with it. As long as it fits in correctly. Though I still have my limits. Using something like a toilet paper roll as a dreadnaught or something.. I'd let them maybe do for 2 or 3 games max just for proxy purposes and to see if they actually want to purchase one.. but if something that shabby becomes an everyday occurance, no.

LaughinGremlin
01-03-2006, 01:59
I use toy parts in my conversions, and I agree that this hobby is not "GW Monoply," but fantasy tabletop gaming in general.

If it's creative, and looks good, (and is on the appropriate base size) then it's great.

Mad Makz
01-03-2006, 06:40
As long as it fits the scale reasonably well, is based to the right size (or near enough) and looks like what it represents then I am cool with it.

Those dragons, well they look like dragons, so as long as they could be based ok I'd have no problem.

Acheron
01-03-2006, 07:26
Heyheyhey! Refusing to play with toys? Not. I“m doing that all day. “Cos you gotta admit that this all so noble ideal of miniature wargaming doesn“t function in the roots, in reality we are playing with toys (either they are plastic Night Gobbas or doll dragons...). ;)

Luke
01-03-2006, 10:28
lol, its a sad day indeed when a £13 toy is of a better quality than a £30 "fine scale collectors model kit"

i would allow it, as long as it was mounted on the correct base size and was used in an appropriate army.

Scythe
01-03-2006, 16:11
I would definitely have no problems with it. As long as it fits in correctly. Though I still have my limits. Using something like a toilet paper roll as a dreadnaught or something.. I'd let them maybe do for 2 or 3 games max just for proxy purposes and to see if they actually want to purchase one.. but if something that shabby becomes an everyday occurance, no.

Hey, the differences between an Ork Dreadnaught and a toiler paper roll are minimal...:p

//off topic

tzeentchgiant
01-03-2006, 16:18
I wouldn't have a problem, but I'd play against bases so take that as you like.

The MacFarlane dragons are most impressive though, they can be made to fit GW bases, I'd love to see one in action in a game.

TG

Arduhn
02-03-2006, 00:58
I really like the mcfarlane dragons, I was thinking of using one myself, the one sitting on the castle, replace the rider of course.

jansenm
02-03-2006, 02:15
I would mind at all as long as it is the right size and all

but I dont think gw would appreciate it nor if u go to tornarments
they wouldnt allow it

MadJackMcJack
02-03-2006, 07:21
Something like what you posted, converted to look Warhammery, sure. I know a couple of people who use converted toy dinosaurs as Feral Ork Squiggoths. But someone plonking down a Spiderman action figure and calling it a Giant is just taking the ****.

snurl
02-03-2006, 07:50
Many moons ago, my d&d character was represented by a salad croutan.
We used ciggarette buts and pennies too, and fought against beer bottle top monsters.......
Life was simpler then.

Sure! Use a toy or two, but you're right about Spider man, at least try to fit the genere if not the manufacturer.

snurl
02-03-2006, 12:17
Come to think of it, there are a few toys i can think of that just might make some cool terrain if they were painted and based/textured properly.

ernyroamer
02-03-2006, 13:12
I use the following toy cyclops in my beasts army, its from the 7th voyage of Sinbad and I picked it up in a comic book sale for next to nothing. I always meant to repaint it but my beasts follow the same colour scheme so it never happened, based right it is a perfect mutant monstrosity.

http://www.scifi-toyz.com/jasonf.jpg

Here is the same beast from the film:
http:///lavender.fortunecity.com/judidench/584/7thvoyage/images/00000010.jpg

TeddyC
02-03-2006, 16:10
I think you only go so far... I dont minda proxy or a stand in for a few games while the player decides if they want to buy the proper model or not....

but bedies that id take great exception to someone plonking down a toy as a usual mini without any effort being made to paint or convert it in some way.

EvC
02-03-2006, 19:55
Many moons ago, my d&d character was represented by a salad croutan.
We used ciggarette buts and pennies too, and fought against beer bottle top monsters.......
Life was simpler then.

I bet you're the kind of guy who'd use a pack of prawns for a game of Chess ;)

N'bel
02-03-2006, 20:51
I'd have no problem with an opponent using toys. I've done it myself with Star Wars minis, they were "Imperial" Space marines. :D

When I can work up the courage to take my stormtroopers into a GW there will be a pool as to how long it takes them to physically remove me from the store.

Grimshawl
02-03-2006, 21:01
I'd allow it as long as it was about the right size and we could keep it all straight what was what,

Crazy Harborc
03-03-2006, 01:02
Most of the opponents I've had have used "stand-ins", me too. IMHO, wargaming is NOT about "my minies are better than yours because they're made by..........".

Once in a great while I've played a game at the local GW store. THERE, I expect to see GW minies. Elsewhere, I expect to know what's what and or standing in for whatever.

Imma_De_Freakin_Pope
03-03-2006, 02:35
I think I am one of the only people who do not like puting toys on the battle field, I just like it when both armies are what they are supposed to look like according to GW standards...now I am not saying that you should not be able to field toys if ypu dont have the modle..GO NUTS...but me and my warhammer players agree...if you dont have the model, then you can not play it...but that is just us

Gabekun
03-03-2006, 02:46
Being the cheap bastard that I am, and the fact that I hate the galrauch GW dragon, I went in search of a suitable proxy. The answer was one of the McFarlane dragons, gaps filled, and painted to fit my army.

Can be seen here: http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24704&highlight=dragon

Pretty much everyone in my gaming group loved the model, though acouple people insisted on mocking it, calling it the "battle chicken".. but meh.

Imma_De_Freakin_Pope
03-03-2006, 02:50
wow, it does look like a battle chicken :D

Zink
03-03-2006, 03:36
I think I am one of the only people who do not like puting toys on the battle field,

I can't help myself. I have to ask what you DO place on the table if not toys? No disrespect intended but it's all toys to me.;) My group is small and relaxed. We try to field accurate wyswyg figs, but often not painted. If it fits the size close enough we'd let it go no matter where it came from. About those dragons, I think they are pretty nice and would have no problems using or playing against them if they fit the army and rules.

TheKid
03-03-2006, 04:43
About those dragons, I think they are pretty nice and would have no problems using or playing against them if they fit the army and rules.

I agree with you Zink. :)

Ifurita
03-03-2006, 18:53
LOL. I'd love to watch a game of LegoHammer

IncubiLord
03-03-2006, 19:20
As opposed to toy soldiers, but proper toys,I've played against Orks with Tonka trucks. As long as you know what it "counts as" and the proxy vaguely resembles it, I'm game. (EDIT: of course, that was 40K)

or collectors models, like these:
http://www.epicheroes.com/webshopnew/byproductProductID.asp?ID=19432McFARLANE collectibles have as much a place on the table as any GW army that you bought from another player instead of building and painting yourself.
I think they tend to look better than a lot of GW's stuff too.

Or would that be going against the spirit of the hobby (whatever that is)..?The "let's have fun pretending our little, fake guys are fighting" spirit of wargaming?

Little, fake guys are still little fake guys no matter where they came from. If you're whining about the source, construction, or painting of a model, you're violating the spirit of wargaming and behaving more as an elitist model-builder.

Or the "40k is TEH ULTIMATE FORM OF CHESS" spirit of wargaming?
40K is not the greatest representation of tactical gaming, imo, but this idea still has little to do with the constructs you use to stand in for real soldiers, tanks, and monsters.

The only real requirement is that you can tell at a glance what the model represents.

The Black Knight
03-03-2006, 21:13
I think it is fine if the opponent uses toys(someone at my club has a garden turtle as a scraplauncher:p) as long as i know what they are and there are some gw minis in there

Krusk
03-03-2006, 21:24
To me, you really only need GW models for official tournaments and stuff. None of my DOW Ogres are GW, and I scavenged various Reaper minis for free company and stuff. Heck, my favorite ogre was once a Cupie doll, although after copious green stuff, its rather characterful. and my spear chukka's are weird looking little toy cannons that look vaguely orky. IMO toys are cool if they look like what they are supposed to to some extent, and are well painted/converted,

TK421
10-03-2006, 10:13
Calculator Rhino :D

EvC
11-03-2006, 00:36
Ha!

I actually saw one of the Dragons I'd been thinknig of earlier today, it's definitely the right size (Though the only dragon they had in stock would not suit my High Elves all that well... perhaps as a Zombie Dragon for my vampires, with a little work), maybe when i try and get my list up to 3000 points! Though it'd be nice to actually use my 2000 point list for once...

ROCKY
11-03-2006, 01:26
I believe that in non official tournaments it is ok, however they must know the rules of the units they use and must declare what the units are before the battle, not" oh by the way...this here corndog is a steam tank" in the middle of the match.

Griefbringer
11-03-2006, 12:42
As long as it looks good, is put on a base of reasonable size and I am aware what unit type it stands for, I am not really too picky about the origins of the model.