PDA

View Full Version : Soul hunter Ending confusions *spoilers*

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
13-07-2010, 15:02
Picked up this book when I saw it at borders as Night Lords are my favorite legion and I couldn't resist another book about them. After finishing it today, I'm a little confused by the epilogue. The Eldar say they're a battle coming with the void hunter. Is this something I should know? Or is it a teaser for the next book? BTW any word on when that comes out?
Edit:woops posted in the wrong board. Could a please move this to 40k background? Sorry.

Drakcore Bloodtear
14-07-2010, 15:56
Its a teaser for the next book,Throne of Lies I believe (Which is an audiobook)

t-tauri
14-07-2010, 18:20
Moved to 40k background.

Dead.Blue.Clown
14-07-2010, 18:26
Its a teaser for the next book,Throne of Lies I believe (Which is an audiobook)

Naw. The next in the series is Blood Reaver, being written now. Likely out at the start of 2011. Throne of Lies is a standalone story in the series, but not essential to the main narrative arc.

Picked up this book when I saw it at borders as Night Lords are my favorite legion and I couldn't resist another book about them. After finishing it today, I'm a little confused by the epilogue. The Eldar say they're a battle coming with the void hunter. Is this something I should know? Or is it a teaser for the next book? BTW any word on when that comes out?

Regarding the epilogue:

It's an eldar prophecy, that "the hunter of souls" will cross blades with "the Void Stalker". Essentially foreshadowing a conflict in the future between the Night Lords and the eldar of Craftworld Ulthwe. Exactly who the Void Stalker might be is currently unrevealed, but I reckon it's not too hard to guess.

Gyulkus Chaos Saurus
14-07-2010, 18:32
That's what I figured. so the next book is an audiobook? Or an actual book? I hate audio books, and would love to not be forced to continue the story through one.

Dead.Blue.Clown
14-07-2010, 18:42
That's what I figured. so the next book is an audiobook? Or an actual book? I hate audio books, and would love to not be forced to continue the story through one.

See above, yo.

Zothos
14-07-2010, 18:49
oops...
I think i may have posted this in the wrong damn thread...

Lothlanathorian
14-07-2010, 18:51
So Throne of Lies is part of your Night Lords, but not essential? Damn it, man. Someone needs to punch BL in the face. Unless you got Sean Connery to read it. Then I'm down.

*mumbles angrily to self while going to bookstore and buying Throne of Lies* Stupid AD-B addiction. Oh wells, it'll be something to listen to while I paint :)

Zothos
14-07-2010, 18:52
Talos does not sound at all like i thought he would...

Lothlanathorian
14-07-2010, 18:59
They never do, my friend.

Dead.Blue.Clown
14-07-2010, 19:02
So Throne of Lies is part of your Night Lords, but not essential? Damn it, man. Someone needs to punch BL in the face. Unless you got Sean Connery to read it. Then I'm down.

*mumbles angrily to self while going to bookstore and buying Throne of Lies* Stupid AD-B addiction. Oh wells, it'll be something to listen to while I paint :)

On one hand, I'm happy with how well it's reviewed and the feedback I've got from a squillion people so far.

On the other hand, I completely sympathise with people that don't like audiobooks. I'd never do a short story or audiobook that was necessary for the main novel series. Throne of Lies is something that happens between Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver, but isn't necessary to the main storyline.

Lothlanathorian
14-07-2010, 19:46
On one hand, I'm happy with how well it's reviewed and the feedback I've got from a squillion people so far.

On the other hand, I completely sympathise with people that don't like audiobooks. I'd never do a short story or audiobook that was necessary for the main novel series. Throne of Lies is something that happens between Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver, but isn't necessary to the main storyline.

Well, I am sure I speak for several others when I say this, but, the characters and their story are good, so many of us will take it where we can get it. And I do appreciate that you'd never do that to us and you have my thanks. Still going to pick it up lol just because it is those Night Lords characters. I find that well written Chaos Characters are usually more interesting than their Loyalist counterparts, no matter how well they are written or how interesting the story is.

Spare Change
14-07-2010, 20:17
Still going to pick it up lol just because it is those Night Lords characters.

I know exactly what you mean!

I absolutely adore Talos; but surprisingly, my favorite character was Cyrion. He is just a tremendous character. But who am I kidding, I loved all of them -- even Septimus was enjoyable to read about! Quite possibly the most likable cultist ever. When he hacked apart those convicts with his machete, he also proved he is a complete badass.

I can see Uzas drooling at the prospect of so many pointy Eldar skulls for the skull-throne. :p

Lothlanathorian
14-07-2010, 20:38
Septimus is great because he is human. I look forward to more of him and Octavia because of their growing relationship and because, as human characters, they provide that alternate view and keep it mixed up. I wouldn't call Septimus a 'cultist', though. Slave, servant, attendant, serf, whatever, but not cultist. He doesn't worship Chaos (and I am sure if he tried, Talos would have words with him), he is just caught up in it, just like 10th Company.

And Cyrion was my favorite, too. He is your typical action hero type. Kick ass and full of witty one-liners. But he, and this is the great think I've come away from all of AD-B's books with, is not shallow. None of the characters feel shallow.

Spare Change
14-07-2010, 21:05
Septimus is great because he is human. I look forward to more of him and Octavia because of their growing relationship and because, as human characters, they provide that alternate view and keep it mixed up. I wouldn't call Septimus a 'cultist', though. Slave, servant, attendant, serf, whatever, but not cultist. He doesn't worship Chaos (and I am sure if he tried, Talos would have words with him), he is just caught up in it, just like 10th Company.

Haha, yeah -- I know, I know. He even slips up an mutters an Imperial curse during the book. I know he's not your usual cultist, but there is a tragic "fall from grace" to his nature that I liked. Perhaps "valuable slave" is more fitting.

And Cyrion was my favorite, too. He is your typical action hero type. Kick ass and full of witty one-liners. But he, and this is the great think I've come away from all of AD-B's books with, is not shallow. None of the characters feel shallow.

Cyrion was just great, yeah. :D

Asurman
15-07-2010, 00:03

Well said!

I was quite fond of Cyrion as well, he was a very rich character. I hope we see a lot more of him in the following novel.

Lothlanathorian
15-07-2010, 04:43
Haha, yeah -- I know, I know. He even slips up an mutters an Imperial curse during the book. I know he's not your usual cultist, but there is a tragic "fall from grace" to his nature that I liked. Perhaps "valuable slave" is more fitting.

Yeah, Septimus's decline (and I use that word loosely) into being who and what he is, in my mind, is somewhat reflective of the Night Lords, or, at least, the tragic hero characters that have been the main stars of the two novels so far, in that he and they were both forced into a situation they didn't choose and are now trying to make the best of it.

Lord Lorne Walkier
15-07-2010, 04:49
Void stalker eazy to figure out eh? My guess is a farseer. Any hoo my favorite "Character" is the Storms Eye. Please, more Raider perspective chapters! I hope it makes it into the HH NL book.

TrooperTino
15-07-2010, 08:45
I am emberrassed I don't know who the void stalker could be, too :) I was thinking some necron perhaps because of the name... but why would eldar try to prevent this?

I liked the parts with septimus, and the backflash to nostromo (spell?) with the parade... how the astartes are moved away from normal human emotions has never been described so good!

Only the scene with the "joke" the astartes had with septimus fell a bit out of line in my opinion.

Asurman
15-07-2010, 09:29
I'm trying to think.. Void Stalker.. Stalker.. Perhaps he is a Striking Scorpion Exarch?

The stealthiest of the Aspects, versus the Night Lords.. that would be neat to read about! If I'm right, which I'm probably not. :/

BlackLegion
15-07-2010, 09:41
Void Stalker ist the Eldar Corsairs Battleship, too.

Asurman
15-07-2010, 09:44
Void Stalker ist the Eldar Corsairs Battleship, too.

That's true, but from how the Farseer made it sound, I assume the Void Stalker is an Eldar, rather than a spacecraft.

Exactly who the Void Stalker might be is currently unrevealed, but I reckon it's not too hard to guess.

Ok, yeah, I just glanced back.

Karl MkVI
15-07-2010, 10:55
Regarding the epilogue:

It's an eldar prophecy, that "the hunter of souls" will cross blades with "the Void Stalker". Essentially foreshadowing a conflict in the future between the Night Lords and the eldar of Craftworld Ulthwe. Exactly who the Void Stalker might be is currently unrevealed, but I reckon it's not too hard to guess.

My mind jumped to Maugan Ra. I know he's not Ulthwe, but he has fought with them before. the above post doesn't explicitly state that the Void Stalker is actually from Ulthwe, after all... but maybe I'm reaching! to be fair, the book itself doesn't actually say it's Ulthwe, but this post does. hmm, maybe he would have to be from Ulthwe then...

Other than that, I would say not a farseer; the name is too sinister to be a farseer. I'd go with some form of assassin/exarch/autarch. maybe a harlequin? again, Harlequins = not Ulthwe, I know. but anyway, thats my two pence. Maugan Ra. even though he's not Ulthwe... whatever!! :)

Ok, yeah, I just glanced back.

wait, have you worked out who it is?

EDIT: it's just come to my attention that this post became a massive ramble of little point or purpose!! :D well, every thread has to have one... ;)

gitburna
15-07-2010, 15:26
Void Stalker.

And the next book is called Blood Reaver ?

Are you planning on incorporating the Dark Eldar perchance....

Drakcore Bloodtear
15-07-2010, 15:49

I've never liked the human chracters in BL books they all ways seemed boring, however I really like Septimus and Octavia.

Is it just me, or does any one else like The Exalted? I thought he was great.

Lothlanathorian
15-07-2010, 19:02
The Exalted was a wonderful....villain(?). He isn't a 'good' guy and he isn't a 'bad' guy and he was very much interesting. The whole thing where sometimes it's their captain, sometimes it's the daemon possessing him was nifty. And the part where Cyrion points out that the captain inside is terrified of the daemon gaining absolute control. Yes, I liked The Exalted, but, more so, I like the dynamic he provides in relation to First Claw and the Night Lords belief system.

And his epic asskickery in the space battle. That was pretty win.

Drakcore Bloodtear
15-07-2010, 20:34
The Exalted was a wonderful....villain(?). He isn't a 'good' guy and he isn't a 'bad' guy and he was very much interesting. The whole thing where sometimes it's their captain, sometimes it's the daemon possessing him was nifty. And the part where Cyrion points out that the captain inside is terrified of the daemon gaining absolute control. Yes, I liked The Exalted, but, more so, I like the dynamic he provides in relation to First Claw and the Night Lords belief system.

And his epic asskickery in the space battle. That was pretty win.

Well I was expecting him to be the standard currupt captain, but the end really changed my opinion of him

Asurman
15-07-2010, 20:38
My mind jumped to Maugan Ra. I know he's not Ulthwe, but he has fought with them before. the above post doesn't explicitly state that the Void Stalker is actually from Ulthwe, after all... but maybe I'm reaching! to be fair, the book itself doesn't actually say it's Ulthwe, but this post does. hmm, maybe he would have to be from Ulthwe then...

Other than that, I would say not a farseer; the name is too sinister to be a farseer. I'd go with some form of assassin/exarch/autarch. maybe a harlequin? again, Harlequins = not Ulthwe, I know. but anyway, thats my two pence. Maugan Ra. even though he's not Ulthwe... whatever!! :)

wait, have you worked out who it is?

No, no, sadly I haven't been able to think of just who it could be. :cries:

Maugan Ra isn't a bad guess though, considering how often he has come to the defense of, or fought alongside Ulthwe.

I guessed a Striking Scorpions Exarch just because it seemed like the perfect match-up for the ultimate "Stealth" Legion, to fight the ultimate "Stealth" Eldar aspect. I do agree that I don't think we should limit our guesses to natives of Ulthwe though.

Lord Nestron
23-07-2010, 10:07
I have a question for mister Dembski-Bowden did she say yes to the proposal? (talking about the dedication at the start)

I really like the book and hope that this is the new "thing" for chaos

Dead.Blue.Clown
23-07-2010, 12:03
I have a question for mister Dembski-Bowden did she say yes to the proposal? (talking about the dedication at the start)

I really like the book and hope that this is the new "thing" for chaos

She did. Wow, the look on her face when she saw that.

Getting married next summer.

hummus
23-07-2010, 13:51
congratulations

Lord Nestron
25-07-2010, 00:53

well congrats and it is probably the most awesome proposal ever

MetalGecko23
25-07-2010, 04:45
I liked the parts with septimus, and the backflash to nostromo (spell?) with the parade... how the astartes are moved away from normal human emotions has never been described so good!

Only the scene with the "joke" the astartes had with septimus fell a bit out of line in my opinion.
Those two moments in the book actually really endeared me to it.

I've never liked the human chracters in BL books they all ways seemed boring, however I really like Septimus and Octavia.
I waiting to see if there is going to be a budding relationship between them.

Is it just me, or does any one else like The Exalted? I thought he was great.
lol, the Exalted is delicious character. Just when I thought he was an insufferable prick he goes and changes it up. Being a champion of Tzeentch probably does that to you.

I hope that Blood Reaver explains the Eldar attack during the ambush on the assassins space ship.

Also am I the only one that would like to see a Chaos Marine repent and go Imperial? I always though it would be cliche but nobody has done it yet (an I figure it should have happened by now).

EDIT: I also hope that Uzas remains the loveable goofball and not full berzerker. There hasn't been a 40k character that has made me laugh like Uzas sense Cain. Actually there the only two...

Lothlanathorian
26-07-2010, 06:05

You make sure she lets you rock out to In Flames at that wedding, man. I had the DJ at my friend's wedding play the first two tracks off of Static X's Machine back in the day. Was awesome and he loved it. Everyone else, not so much, but totally worth it.:D

Was The Exalted specifically a Tzeentchian champion? He didn't exhibit any Warp-craft and I would have expected that. Either way, I look forward to more of him in the next novel, for sure.

MetalGecko23
26-07-2010, 06:25
Was The Exalted specifically a Tzeentchian champion? He didn't exhibit any Warp-craft and I would have expected that. Either way, I look forward to more of him in the next novel, for sure.

lol Tzeentch says it himself, when Abbadon is trying to force Talos to convert to the Chaos Gods. Plus there is all those mentioning of the avian features of The Exalted. An the fact that he could peer into fate, which made him extra awesome sauce in fleet combat.

Lothlanathorian
26-07-2010, 20:56
lol Tzeentch says it himself, when Abbadon is trying to force Talos to convert to the Chaos Gods. Plus there is all those mentioning of the avian features of The Exalted. An the fact that he could peer into fate, which made him extra awesome sauce in fleet combat.

Well, avian features just made me think 'raptor'. But, yeah, brainfail of epic proportion happened. Surprised I can breath on my own sometimes.

stabbitydoom
04-12-2010, 04:59
Created a log-in just so I could post here. I'm thinking that the Void Stalker will be Shaal from the first book. If you recall they talk about how he drifted in the wreak of a spaceship exposed to vacuum for thousands of years in some kind of eldar time suspension thingy. I think the Eldar will figure into the story prominently though. Also can't remember exactly but I think at the end of the first book the artifact that Shaal is chasing down gets stolen by the Eldar or he gets away with the artifact but is plotting revenge etc. and in Soul Hunter its implied that the Eldar stole several artifacts important to the legion. Therefore anyone wishing to be the overall leader will have to possess them all They're really setting Talos up to become a major figure in the 8th legion which means he's either got to kill or recruit Shaal and Acerbus... bet you can't guess which one he'll recruit and which one he'll kill.

Bitterman
04-12-2010, 16:51
Created a log-in just so I could post here. I'm thinking that the Void Stalker will be Shaal from the first book. If you recall they talk about how he drifted in the wreak of a spaceship exposed to vacuum for thousands of years in some kind of eldar time suspension thingy. I think the Eldar will figure into the story prominently though. Also can't remember exactly but I think at the end of the first book the artifact that Shaal is chasing down gets stolen by the Eldar or he gets away with the artifact but is plotting revenge etc. and in Soul Hunter its implied that the Eldar stole several artifacts important to the legion. Therefore anyone wishing to be the overall leader will have to possess them all They're really setting Talos up to become a major figure in the 8th legion which means he's either got to kill or recruit Shaal and Acerbus... bet you can't guess which one he'll recruit and which one he'll kill.

Sorry, but Iīm not overly convinced by this. I donīt think Aaron wanted to imply that sort of reasoning on his spoiler tag posted earlier on the thread? Besides, I remember reading something along the lines of he refusing to use those characters, save using them as short references in the plot.

:yes:

Meriwether
04-12-2010, 20:07
I just wanted to say that while I typically do not enjoy Space Marine (or Chaos Space Marine)-based 40K books, I read Soul Hunter on Zothos' recommendation, and I very much liked it.

The Exalted is a great character -- a bit what Fulgrim should have been, had Fulgrim been a book worth reading.

RayvenQ
05-12-2010, 10:09
For those who like Soul Hunter, get throne of Lies, seriously, it's such an awesome audiobook. It's just as great as Soul Hunter (Although I did see the ending coming it was still fantastic)

Ave Dominus Nox!

Fingol23
05-12-2010, 11:29

This book has been done a long time before Soul Hunter was written. It's called Lord of the Night by Simon Spurrier and is a brilliant book, if slightly different to Aaron's equally brilliant style.

Azrael'sFury
05-12-2010, 17:52
I'm currently working my way through both Soul Hunter and The First Heretic. I'm liking both of them so far. What I can't figure out is why the Night Lords don't worship Chaos like the other traitor lgeions do. Keep up the good work ADB.

MEcorp
05-12-2010, 18:05
I'm currently working my way through both Soul Hunter and The First Heretic. I'm liking both of them so far. What I can't figure out is why the Night Lords don't worship Chaos like the other traitor lgeions do. Keep up the good work ADB.

The reason they don't worship the Chaos powers is because they see such faith as a weakness. Night Haunter says something to that effect towards the end of First Heretic. To paraphrase the general Night Lords attitude: "Only those unable to do what is necessary require gods to tell them to do it" or "Only those unable to win by themselves require assistance".

At least that's my interpretation of it, YMMV