PDA

View Full Version : Common vs Army Magic Items

Lordmonkey
13-07-2010, 15:28
Hello!

What happens when a magic item is described in both the BRB and your army book?

Specifically, how do I deal with the potion of strength in the Dark Elf Book now that it is included in the BRB? Which one do I use? Can I take two?

Ultimate Life Form
13-07-2010, 15:29
In that case you take the BRB version for the Army book price, or so I interpret it.

Malorian
13-07-2010, 15:31
I didn't check the DE FAQ but if there isn't anything there saying otherwise then the BRB would replace the common items only.

So you could take the common potion of stregth AND the DE potion of strength in the same army.

Lord of the End Times
13-07-2010, 15:31
In that case you take the BRB version for the Army book price, or so I interpret it.

Yes, that is correct.

I assume that still only one is allowed as it is the same item and you are not allowed duplicates, although I could be wrong on that.

Ultimate Life Form
13-07-2010, 15:34
No, it doesn't say it needs to be a common item. Just that an item must be 'listed' in both books.

solkan
13-07-2010, 20:25
The Dark Elves FAQ says, "Note that if a Magic Item is listed in both an army book and the Warhammer rulebook, use the points value given in the Army Book, with the rule printed in the Warhammer rulebook."

It certainly looks to me like they listed "Potion of Strength" in the Dark Elves book on page 100 and "Potion of Strength" in the main rulebook on page 505. :shifty:

Khorneflakes
14-07-2010, 00:31
so how does the war banner work then? is it 25 in my beast book not 35 in the rule book and follow the rules there?

Zaustus
14-07-2010, 02:24
The RBRB says to use the points cost from your army book.

LanceSaba
14-07-2010, 03:40
Just to put this out there it is a real disappointment that they took that route. that common magic items still vary in cost given the army. they rules state that you use the points in your army book and the effects of the general rule book. just seems unfair to me :cries:

Hawkkf
14-07-2010, 04:57
It sounds to me they set it up so they can make common magic items cheaper (or more expensive) for certain races in future army books. With the added bonus of course of laughing at people who pay extra for an enchanted shield in the mean time.

Lordmonkey
14-07-2010, 09:59
The Dark Elves FAQ says, "Note that if a Magic Item is listed in both an army book and the Warhammer rulebook, use the points value given in the Army Book, with the rule printed in the Warhammer rulebook."

It certainly looks to me like they listed "Potion of Strength" in the Dark Elves book on page 100 and "Potion of Strength" in the main rulebook on page 505. :shifty:

Ah, well spotted, thanks :)

Falkman
14-07-2010, 11:28
Any of you bothered to read the entirety of that FAQ entry?
The header is "Common magic items".
Thus the amendment in there only applies to Common magic items, which the DE Potion of Strength isn't.
Thus a Dark elf army have access to two Potions of Strength with different rules and costs, one from the Common magic item list in the BRB, and one from the Enchanted items list in the DE armybook.

Olyphant
14-07-2010, 11:30
Helm of Many Eyes, ASF & Stupidity vs the just ASF item in the BRB. Same price, I which one people will take?

Falkman
14-07-2010, 11:33
Helm of Many Eyes, ASF & Stupidity vs the just ASF item in the BRB. Same price, I which one people will take?
Well considering that the item in the BRB is a weapon they work very differently.
Helm of many eyes allows you to take a great weapon and strike in initiative order, but the BRB sword, being a weapon, disallows you from taking any other kind of weapon so you're stuck at S5.

PeG
14-07-2010, 13:33
Any of you bothered to read the entirety of that FAQ entry?
The header is "Common magic items".
Thus the amendment in there only applies to Common magic items, which the DE Potion of Strength isn't.
Thus a Dark elf army have access to two Potions of Strength with different rules and costs, one from the Common magic item list in the BRB, and one from the Enchanted items list in the DE armybook.

Based on experience from GW wording before I dont think that the heading should be determining in this case. The rules are very clear and I do not believe that the intention was to give DE access to two potions of Strength.

Falkman
14-07-2010, 13:47
I do, and the FAQ points to it as well.
People are of course free to play it however they want, but the rules says that DE can take two different Potions of strength.

stashman
14-07-2010, 14:17
Staff of Sorcery is gone!!!!

Morthak
14-07-2010, 16:07
What really sucks is Berzerker Sword. An overpriced weapon in the WoC book that has the same name in the BRB, but with different rules AND a different price. They were just too lazy to come up with a better name. Now my exalted has a weapon of 50 flippin' points that grants him frenzy which can't be lost. While I did want the special rule, the price wasn't what I imagined.

Morthak

neXus6
14-07-2010, 16:26
I certainly read it the same way as Falkman.
The whole "price from the AB rules from the BRB" only relates to common magic items, everything else is as it was.

I do agree that it seems like a fairly messy way of doing things though.

stripsteak
14-07-2010, 22:13
Staff of Sorcery is gone!!!!

why do you say that? I might be missing something but I see nothing in any of the erratas, or main brb removing the 'old' common magic items. Just that if there are ones that share a name you use the price in the armybook, and rules in the brb.

Yehoshua
15-07-2010, 03:00
I think that there are two Berserker Swords. One is a WoC item from the AB for 50 points, one is a Common item from the RB for 20, and they have different rules.

The RAW in the main RB only address Common Items, not army-specific items.