PDA

View Full Version : Charging a fleeing unit...

Malorian
13-07-2010, 16:47
I don't know if I'm missing something, but I can't find it in the 8th rules that says when a fleeing unit is charged that it automatically flees...

Is that just because it would be the obvious charge response, or am I missing something?

Jetty Smurf
13-07-2010, 16:51
We had this come up in a game today/yesterday (w/e its 3am ><), and we actually played it that a fleeing unit that gets charged is automatically destroyed (upon successful charge from said charging unit).

I don't have the book in front of me, as my copy is in the mail and we used my friends copy.

I am wondering if we played this correctly or not (thankfully it didn't really impact our game). Anyone able to clarify with a page reference?

madden
13-07-2010, 17:03
Yep page 17 flee and page 18 there's to many of them and page 23 chargeing a fleeing enemy, these dhould cover all the situations.

dooombot
13-07-2010, 17:06
Pg. 23, 'Charging a Fleeing Enemy.' They are in fact destroyed.

EDIT - Ninja'd.

Malorian
13-07-2010, 17:11
Ok, so give the order of charges/reactions, then does this mean this is possible:

Army A has a strong unit facing off against a unit of Army B. Army A also has scouts behind them.

sssss

bbbbb
bbbbb
bbbbb

aaaaa
aaaaa
aaaaa

Now when A charges B that means A is screwed because if they take the charge they will get smashed, and if they decide to flee, then when player A next declares a charge with the scouts they just have to touch B's unit and it's dead.

Is this right?

dooombot
13-07-2010, 17:19
@Malorian, I think if, using your example, Unit B is fleeing, then is charged by the scouts, their reaction must be a Flee! . So the scouts would roll for charge distance, and Unit B would roll 2d6 Flee! movement. If the scouts catch them, they are destroyed. Other wise, Unit B gets out of the way. If Unit B's Flee! from the scouts moves them through Unit A they have to take Dangerous Terrain tests.

I think this is how it works.

Malorian
13-07-2010, 17:22
@Malorian, I think if, using your example, Unit B is fleeing, then is charged by the scouts, their reaction must be a Flee! . So the scouts would roll for charge distance, and Unit B would roll 2d6 Flee! movement. If the scouts catch them, they are destroyed. Other wise, Unit B gets out of the way. If Unit B's Flee! from the scouts moves them through Unit A they have to take Dangerous Terrain tests.

I think this is how it works.

See and this is why my original question was so important.

I don't have my book on me right now to check the page numbers, but I assumed from "Pg. 23, 'Charging a Fleeing Enemy.' They are in fact destroyed." that he meant that they don't flee and are destroyed once you touch them.

And that would be very tactically important :evilgrin:

dooombot
13-07-2010, 17:35
@Malorian, Sorry I should have been more clear. Under 'Charging a Fleeing Enemy', it says that when a unit completes a charge against a fleeing enemy they are run down. But earlier on pg 18 it says 'A unit that Flees! once in a Charge sub-phase will have to keep fleeing if it has more charges declared against it.' And on pg 17 '...units that are already fleeing must declare a Flee! reaction' to being charged again.

So i think it works how I stated in my earlier post. Charge -Flee!, assume the Flee'ers make it away, get charged by different unit, must Flee! again, if the unit completes the charge they are run down, but otherwise the Flee'ers get away.

Malorian
13-07-2010, 17:40
Ok, thanks for clearing that up dooombot :)

At least then you could use scouts to recharge the unit and force them to flee off the board.

(Makes it clear why they took away 360 degree LOS from skirmishers;))

twisted_angel
13-07-2010, 18:36
Also worth noting (and correct me if im wrong) but the rules now state that you make the flee move immediately after you declare the reaction as flee. If unit a was to declare first then b would declare a flee reaction and immediately move before the scouts get a chance to declare their charge. This would probably result in unit b fleeing through the scouts and taking the dangerous terrain test. The scouts would then be unable to declare a charge as they could not see the intended target.

Tae
13-07-2010, 18:37
@Malorian, Sorry I should have been more clear. Under 'Charging a Fleeing Enemy', it says that when a unit completes a charge against a fleeing enemy they are run down. But earlier on pg 18 it says 'A unit that Flees! once in a Charge sub-phase will have to keep fleeing if it has more charges declared against it.' And on pg 17 '...units that are already fleeing must declare a Flee! reaction' to being charged again.

So i think it works how I stated in my earlier post. Charge -Flee!, assume the Flee'ers make it away, get charged by different unit, must Flee! again, if the unit completes the charge they are run down, but otherwise the Flee'ers get away.

This was my reading of it as well.

The mention of having to keep fleeing would be irrelevent if, as it appeared at first, fleeing units were just run down when they got charged.

Plus it does stop the possibility of a unit fleeing from one unit then being charged by another unit just at the edge of their range (such as fliers) and being run down rather cheaply.