PDA

View Full Version : Challenge Question

jet_palero
13-07-2010, 17:01
Round Two?
If both competitors survive a challenge, and the combat continues, then they will fight in the next round of close combat. Further challenges cannot be issued in that combat until the existed challenge has been resolved

I played a game a few days ago where a lone khorne warrior on a juggernaught charged my block of warriors. My troops didn't break and next turn my hammerers with my lord counter charged.

Naturally he challenged, and for kicks I accepted with my tooled up lord. Neither could kill each other.

At this point, do we check for who wins the combat, or does the combat simply continue because we're in a challenge? This is what my opponent thought we should do.

Not having a standard bearer, and having caused no wounds, he would lose by 7. (3 ranks + 2 ranks + standard + battlestandard) But I'm not sure how to deal with this after reading the brb.

Jetty Smurf
13-07-2010, 20:05
The combat continuing is reliant on break tests. If a break test is made, and failed, the combat ends. Thus ending the challenge.

Yrrdead
13-07-2010, 20:08
Not having a standard bearer, and having caused no wounds, he would lose by 7. (3 ranks + 2 ranks + standard + battlestandard) But I'm not sure how to deal with this after reading the brb.

Also you should review how combat resolution is added up.

Palantir
13-07-2010, 20:14

He would lose by 5.

3 ranks + standard + BSB = 5

If you flank charged him you would get another +1.

In any case he would take a break test and flee/crumble just like a normal character in a unit who's in a challenge. I think this is the correct solution.

jet_palero
13-07-2010, 22:07
Also you should review how combat resolution is added up.

Ahh, you're right. capped at 3, I messed that up.

Thanks guys for resolving the question.

He would lose by 5.

If you flank charged him you would get another +1.

In any case he would take a break test and flee/crumble just like a normal character in a unit who's in a challenge. I think this is the correct solution.

Does it still count as a flank charge for a single character model?

szlachcic
14-07-2010, 12:12
Ahh, you're right. capped at 3, I messed that up.

Yes, it is capped at 3, but also you can only add rank bonuses from the friendly unit with the single largest rank bonus. This is a subtle yet important difference.

So, if we change your example slightly to include 2 friendly units, both with a +2 rank bonus at the end of combat, the total rank bonus is only +2. You wouldn't add the bonuses together and max at +3.

the Goat
14-07-2010, 12:56
Does it still count as a flank charge for a single character model?
Yes.

1 2 3 4 5 6

Lord Solar Plexus
14-07-2010, 13:41
He would lose by 5.

No, he would lose by 6 - jet_palero charged his opponent (and possibly 7 for flank).

/nitpicking mode off/