PDA

View Full Version : 2500 Dwarf Combat List; C&C needed!

_dandaman_
13-07-2010, 19:16
Hey everybody, I started my dwarf combat list recently, and I need to know it is good or not:

Dwarf Lord: Shield Bearers, Shield, Master Rune of Smiting, 2x Rune of Cleaving = 238

Thane: BSB, Great Weapon, Rune of Fury, MRoGragg the Grim, MRoGromil = 139 pts

Runesmith: 2x Rune of Spellbreaking, 2x Rune of Stone, Great Weapon = 134 pts

30x Warriors: Shields, F/C = 295 pts

40x Warriors: GW, F/C = 425 pts

40x Warriors: GW, F/C = 425 pts

18x Miners: F/C = 225 pts

20x Hammerers: F/C = 270 pts

Cannon: Rune of Burning = 95 pts

Grudge Thrower: Rune of Penetrating = 105 pts

Gyrocopter = 140 pts

Updated with less dakka amd more combat; RAAAAARRRRRHHHHHHHHH!

C&C needed and welcome!

Zaszz
13-07-2010, 20:57
For a melee list the organ guns don't do as well if you ask me. They are relativly short range, I would say the weakness of a dwarf list for melee is probably going to be mass hordes to lock you in place while flanking units go around. So I would swap them out for either Stone Throwers to help combat hordes, or Gyros to give you more speed and the steam gun isnt bad on hordes either.

lcfr
13-07-2010, 21:56
Dwarf Lord: Shield Bearers, Shield, Master Rune of Smiting, 2x Rune of Cleaving = 238

Can't find room for a shield or RStone? A little goes a long way...your Lord will be sure to recieve a few attacks in any round of combat.

Thane: Great Weapon, 2x Rune of Fury, MRoGragg the Grim, RoStone = 144 pts

I would rather see a Runesmith in this guy's place for about the same price tag.

Thane: BSB, Strollaz Rune, Great Weapon = 149 pts

I don't see Strollaz's Rune as something necessary for you to get into combat. Imo the BSB is still vital for Dwarfs and should be runed up to survive. In 8th your BSB is even more of a priority for your opponent, and I don't think a free pre-game move for a few units is a worthwhile trade for a good suit of runic armour.

Organ Gun: 120 pts

Organ Gun: 120 pts

I agree with the above poster about your OGs.

I also feel you have too few warmachines for 2500pts. I'm not asking you to run a gunline (what kind of sicko would I be if I did that?), but artillery is our answer to the enemy's monstrous infantry and big gribblies.

_dandaman_
14-07-2010, 00:42
Can't find room for a shield or RStone? A little goes a long way...your Lord will be sure to recieve a few attacks in any round of combat.

I do have a shield on my lord, I was also thinking of the rune of reroll armor saves, thoughts?

I would rather see a Runesmith in this guy's place for about the same price tag.

What kind of kit are you suggesting? Combat or spell killing?

I don't see Strollaz's Rune as something necessary for you to get into combat. Imo the BSB is still vital for Dwarfs and should be runed up to survive. In 8th your BSB is even more of a priority for your opponent, and I don't think a free pre-game move for a few units is a worthwhile trade for a good suit of runic armour.

So just the BSB upgrade and the thane of fury kit I had above?

I agree with the above poster about your OGs.

I also feel you have too few warmachines for 2500pts. I'm not asking you to run a gunline (what kind of sicko would I be if I did that?), but artillery is our answer to the enemy's monstrous infantry and big gribblies.

I tend to agree, what are you suggesting I drop for more war machines? Maybe 3 cannons and 2 grudge throwers, runed up for killyness, I like the idea of a gyrocopter though, and they look cool.

My comments in red, I'd love to get some suggestions;

Thanks;

Dan

lcfr
14-07-2010, 04:40
My mistake on the lord - must've missed that. I'm not crazy about the Doomsday-Weapon Dwarf Lord tbh, although reading Malorian's batreps I've seen it used to great effect. I think the combo will work well on a Daemon Slayer w/2x Runes of Speed now - so long as he's not being shot or magicked (which won't be much of a problem if he's with a block of Slayers) he's an all purpose character and monster slayer. That, and he clocks in at roughly 100pts cheaper than a Dwarf Lord.

20x Miners: F/C, Steam drill = 270 pts

I'm not sold on big blocks of miners...I think we should keep them in their traditional role as warmachine hunters, but they might just work. Have you tried this out yet?

20x Thundererers = 280 pts

I don't think these guys are worthwhile. For this many points you can keep dual OGs and either a Cannon w/RForging (&/or RBurning) and/or a GT w/RPenetrating & RBurning.

20x Warriors: Shields, F/C = 205 pts

40x Longbeards: Great Weapons, F/C = 545 pts

Here's my 2cents: Longbeards w/GWs are notoriously expensive, especially for a point less you can get Hammerers who are always Stubborn! I would at the very least decrease the size of this unit, maybe even replace them altogether with two 20-large units of Hammerers.

Thane: Great Weapon, 2x Rune of Fury, MRoGragg the Grim, RoStone = 144 pts

Thane: BSB, Strollaz Rune, Great Weapon = 149 pts

I haven't thoroughly combed through the Dwarfs FAQ, but if our BSBs can now carry GWs and shields, etc., freely, then I'd keep the GW on him but armour him w/MRGromril, Rpreservation, and maybe some magic res.

If you're going to keep the fighty Thane he's alright as is - you can rely on your natural T and high WS to keep you going I suppose. However, if you decide not to take a Runesmith (kitted out w/a Scroll and either MRBalance or MRSpellbinding) then I'd recommend giving units w/access to runic banners magic resistance.

_dandaman_
14-07-2010, 04:41
Updated list with lots of cooler stuff!

C&C please :D

Thane86
14-07-2010, 05:28
I'm new to Warseer, but I've been playing combat dwarfs for almost 3 editions now. The problem with combat dwarfs is that every point you spend on machine detracts from your combat power and vice versa. The key to combat dwarfs is mobility, or some semblance of mobility for someone with stubby legs.

It's not that hard to do anymore in the new edition of the rules because of the variable charge, which usually means you can get the charge off a whole turn earlier than you could before (something that Stollaz's rune was really important for in the last edition, so it's not really needed now). I think the list looks balanced pretty well but you spent so many points on shooting units that you've sort of forced yourself into playing defensively. You've got to protect the 710 points you spent on shooting.

I've always found the trick for playing combat dwarfs was to spend enough points on shooting to cover any of your weaknesses )big flying scary creatures come to mind) while you drown your opponent in a see of short axe wielding, heavily armored maniacs. This usually constituted just a cannon and a couple of bolt throwers, plus maybe the odd Gyro.

So to put this into effect for your combat army, I would suggest dropping the size of the Thunderers or deleting them altogether, dropping one or two war war machines (at the very least a grudge Thrower - keep the gyro), upping the size of your combat units to get better power and steadfast, and maybe adding an in your face pressure unit like Rangers or Miners.

_dandaman_
14-07-2010, 15:01
Reedited the list with comments in mind; thanks for all the help everybody, keep it comong :)