PDA

View Full Version : Glittering Robe and stacking?

Talash
13-07-2010, 20:46
Just looking for peoples input to this, as I honestly have no idea how I'd play it other than a coin toss to decide.

The Glittering Robe spell augments a unit with the Scaly Skin (5+) special rule. Simple. However, with units that already have a Scaly Skin save, would it stack with it, replace it or simply be ignored if they already had better?

I'm mainly concerned with my Lizardmen. If it stacks, Spear Saurus with a 2+ save would be hideous/wonderful. If it replaces it, then it makes no difference as their save is already 5+ from scaly skin, and really would only affect Skinks and the like in the whole army.

Personally I'd LIKE it to stack (Like some suggest the extra attack rule does, and a few even claim the armour piercing rule does too), but I can't figure it out myself.

Palantir
13-07-2010, 20:55
It does not stack. If it would, it's usually stated in the description.

Talash
13-07-2010, 21:18
It does not stack. If it would, it's usually stated in the description.

True, but the confusion comes where the BRB states that special rules are cumulative (or words to that degree - I don't have it to hand ATM, alas). Or, in other words, if the Extra Attack special rule stacks with itself does the Scaly Skin rule stack with itself?

Lord Cedric
16-05-2012, 11:37
My apologies for threadromancy, but has this question been elaborated by GW since this thread? I have not seen it in any FAQ but could have missed it. We have been playing that it is not stackable with my mate's Lizardmen based upon that they are not wearing metal, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for any/all help.

- Lord Cedric

T10
16-05-2012, 13:45
From the rule book FAQ:

Page 66 – Special Rules, What Special Rules Does It Have
Change “[...]the effects of multiple special rules[...]” to
“[...]the effects of different special rules[...]”Add “However,
unless otherwise stated, a model gains no additional benefit
from having the same special rule multiple times.” to the end of
the first paragraph.

And:

Page 69 – Extra Attack
Add “Unlike most special rules, the effects of multiple Extra
Attack special rules are cumulative.”

Page 69 – Fight In Extra Ranks
Add “Unlike most special rules, the effects of multiple Fight
In Extra Ranks special rules are cumulative.”

So that's a: No, you don't get additional benefit from having the Scaly Skin multiple times. However, most other rules that can be gained multiple times at different "levels" allow you to use the best, e.g. Regeneration and Magic Resistance. I would assume that this applies to with multiple instances of Scaly Skin.

-T10

The bearded one
16-05-2012, 17:17
You can have a natural 5+ scaly skin and a 5+ scaly skin from glittering robes on top of it. It's still gonna be a 5+ scaly skin though, just like 2x heavy armour isn't going to stack ;)

SanDiegoSurrealist
16-05-2012, 17:23
Unfortunately I think that Lizardmen get the shaft on this one.
Glittering Robes should be "All effected models gain +2 to AS" That would be a spell that is worth something.

Lord Cedric
16-05-2012, 17:36
Ah! Thank you so very much everyone! And the quoting surely explains it loud and clear - thanks T10 and Bearded One. Not sure on how I missed that one from the FAQ, but obviously I did. lol. I'll just have to carry this thread back to it's grave now and let it rest once more. :D

- Lord Cedric

sorberec
16-05-2012, 19:55
You can have a natural 5+ scaly skin and a 5+ scaly skin from glittering robes on top of it. It's still gonna be a 5+ scaly skin though, just like 2x heavy armour isn't going to stack ;)

Exactly, if the rule said "adds +2 to your scaly skin armour save" then it would stack but it doesn't

Jericho
16-05-2012, 20:09
I had this rules debate with a certain podcast host when we played a few months ago. Granted, we had both been drinking, so I couldn't convince him that special rules don't stack unless noted, but fighting against said Saurus with stacking scaly skin saves was in fact horrible.

Someone needs to tell this stuff to the BOLS editor, as their recent "Rules Oft Forgotten" article says you can stack things like armor piercing from multiple sources. Expect more confusion on these topics in the future :rolleyes:

Malorian
16-05-2012, 21:51
I had this rules debate with a certain podcast host when we played a few months ago. Granted, we had both been drinking, so I couldn't convince him that special rules don't stack unless noted, but fighting against said Saurus with stacking scaly skin saves was in fact horrible.

Yeah, the tournament organizers backed him so I was dreading having to face him and follow a ruling I knew was wrong. Luckily I didn't face him so it didn't come up.

BoLS is just simply no place you should go for any information except for maybe leaked pictures. The crowd around here is much better informed.

Sexiest_hero
16-05-2012, 23:27
People only go to Bols to troll these days, although that article does say things like Scaly skin doesn't stack.

Valaraukar
17-05-2012, 14:10
It does with full plate or chaos armour though :D bring on those 2+ save infantry!

GodlessM
18-05-2012, 19:45
BoLS is just simply no place you should go for any information except for maybe leaked pictures. The crowd around here is much better informed.

And that's saying a lot.