PDA

View Full Version : First game 8th Edition, Warriors of Chaos VS Skaven (Overview pictures)

Rochr
13-07-2010, 21:49
Finally got to play a 8th edition game at my local club and decided to make a battle report out of it. Now, this is my first time writing one of these so please bear with me here. We decided on playing 1500 points since none of us had the opportunity to read the rules in depth and we did not want to be stuck with it all night.

Unfortunately I do not have the exact % points on the Skaven list and there might be some magic items in it that I did not fully catch.

Glory to Chaos! Warriors of Chaos list:

Lords: 23 %

Sorcerer Lord of Tzeentch, Level 4, Enchanted Shield, Golden Eye of Tzeentch, Disc of Tzeentch.

Heroes: 10.6 %

Exalted Hero, BSB, Flail, Shield, Chaos Steed.

Core: 48 %

40 Marauders of Khorne, Great Weapons, Full Command.
18 Warriors of Khorne, Halberds, Shields, Musician, Standard Bearer.
10 Warhounds
10 Warhounds

Special: 17.66 %

5 Chaos Knights, Musician, Standard Bearer, Banner of Rage.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Skweek, For the under empire! Skaven list:

Lords:

Grey Seer, Level 4, Warp-Energy Condenser.

Heroes:

Chieftain, BSB, Enchanted Shield.
Chieftain, (Unidentified magic items)

Core:

30 Clanrats, Spears, Shields, Full Command, Warpfire Thrower.
30 Clanrats, Spears, Shields, Full Command, Warpfire Thrower.
30 Slaves
30 Slaves
40 Giant Rats, Skweel Gnawtooth, 3 packmasters.

Special:

6 Globadiers
6 Globadiers
8 Jezzails
-------------------------------------------------------------

We rolled up for a pitched battle scenario and we agreed to use alot of the weird new magic obstacles. In this game only one piece of terrain was actually a "regular terrain piece" an ordinary wall. The rest of the things were all magical.

The terrain in the middle of the board from left to right: Ancient Ruins, Sigmarite Temple, Wizard's Tower, a regular wall. On my side of the board there is a Ghost Fence by the Marauders. On his side of the board he has placed his Jezzails on the roof of the Acropolis of Kings and some Globadiers on a Spell Circle... or maybe an Arcane Circle, I can't remember.

Chaos was finished deploying first (huge surprise) and got to add 1 to the roll to go first. Chaos won that roll and I decided to go first.

Turn 1 - Chaos
The entire line moved forward with the Marauder horde on the left flank and the Warhounds on the right flank. The Sorceror Lord, hungry for the secrets that the Wizard's Tower held swiftly flew towards the tower. The Exalted Hero carrying the army standard had joined up with his retinue of knights and decided to back the Marauders, if Chaos wills it we will break through on the left flank!

"All secrets belongs to me!" - The Sorceror Lord having gained his entire lore by being within 3" of the Wizard's Tower and having favourable Winds of Magic obtaining 10 power dice now attempted to throw the dreaded Infernal Gateway upon his enemy wizard. The roll for Gateway was 19 and the Grey Seer could not manage to dispel it even with 5 dispel dice. The gateway loomed over the terrified Clanrats and after a roll of double sixes for determining strength it whisked the entire unit and the Grey Seer into the realm of chaos... a huge loss for the Skaven general in the early game.

The Sorceror Lord was not done yet. Blessed with the fortunes of the Chaos gods he successfully attempted a Call to Glory upon a fellow Warrior turning him into an Exalted Hero.

Turn 1 - Skaven
The Skaven army moved forward aligning itself for the incoming assault the next turn. The Jezzails opened fire onto the Warriors and managed to bring down four of them in a deadly hail of metal and warpstone. The Globadiers moved forward in the centre to redirect the Warriors from the Clanrat unit, a brave sacrifice for such small rats.

"Squeeek! Curse em land dwellers, they shall soon know the might of the horned one." - Skweel and his giant rats surged forward to get a charge off on the knights or marauders in the next turn.

Turn 2 - Chaos
The line moved forward across the board except on the right flank where the Warhounds remained to protect their Sorceror Lord. The Marauders on the left flank opened up a charge on the Slaves which was successful. A massacre ensured as the Slaves managed to kill two Marauders and getting completely obliterated in return. They exploded in a craze and the Marauders overan filled with the rush of victory. The Marauders failed their LD to reform.

The Sorceror Lord drew weakly upon the winds of magic and attempted to throw another Infernal Gateway, this time upon the Jezzails. But his will was weak and he failed the cast. Magic phase was over. The Skaven player attempted to dispel Call to Glory but failed.

Turn 2 - Skaven
It was now or never. The Giant Rats charged into the Knights and the block of slaves on the right flank charged into the Warhounds. The Warhounds broke combat and were overrun by the Slaves. The Knights & Exalted Hero having a higher initiative struck first killing of ten rats and another two from the horses. The Giant Rats and Skweel managed to kill one knight in return.

"Come fight me filthy ratmen!" - Cried the Exalted Hero and offered a challenge to Skweel who cowardly turn around and ran into the back of the unit. The Giant Rats broke from combat and managed to run through the Marauder block but passed all their dangerous terrain checks.

The two Warpfire Throwers opened up and managed to kill two Marauders and two Warhounds. The Jezzails fired upon the Warriors killing another two. The Globadiers managed to bring down another Warrior. The Warriors had a now lost almost 50 % of their numbers to fire.

Turn 3 - Chaos
The Marauders reformed and moved up. The Warhounds charged the Warpfire Thrower and killed it. The Warriors charged the Globadiers who choose to stand and shoot. Unfortunately for the Skaven general they did not kill even one warrior and was wiped out by the Exalted Hero and the rest of the Khorne Warriors.

The Knights rolling 17" for their pursuit and passing the LD check for a redirect slammed right into the Clanrat unit with the two Chieftains. This time the Exalted Hero's challenge was picked up by the BSB (with the enchanted shield). It would prove that the Chaos Hero was too strong for the rat and continued to pound it into the dirt causing three wounds and only one was saved.

The Sorceror Lord drew upon the the winds of magic rolling 8 power dice and threw Treason of Tzeentch upon the Slaves. It was successful but only three Slaves died. Disappointed the Sorceror Lord threw another Infernal Gateway upon the Jezzails. This time it was successful and after rolling 10 hits and 8 strength the Jezzails were wiped out. By losing the Grey Seer the Skaven no longer had the +4 to dispel and had a hard time dispelling anything after turn 1.

The Skaven defeat was imminent.

Turn 3 - Skaven
The Slaves reformed turning to face the Sorceror Lord. The globadiers threw their balls on the Warhounds but only killed two of them. The Warpfire thrower again opened up on the Marauders but missed them completely after a bad roll with the artillery dice.

The Skaven general saw no hope and admitted defeat at this point.

Post-game thoughts

8th Edition is a lot faster and so much happens that the game is over before turn 4 if you play with small numbers. I like 8th Edition a lot because big units are more important than small ones and that's what fantasy is all about isn't it?

Some people claim that the magic phase is nerfed... I do not agree, I think it is stronger now than ever before. A high level wizard is almost mandatory in any game. True, sometimes there will almost be no magic phase if you roll double ones or something low but with +4 to cast (+5 for Tzeentchians) the high level wizards get their spells off so much easier.

Tis was my first time playing 8th and my first time writing a report and making pictures so please do not be too harsh. I might have missed out on some small things here and there. Thanks for reading!

selone
13-07-2010, 21:54
The games is over very fast if you manage to
The Sorceror Lord having gained his entire lore by being within 3" of the Wizard's Tower and having favourable Winds of Magic obtaining 10 power dice now attempted to throw the dreaded Infernal Gateway upon his enemy wizard. The roll for Gateway was 19 and the Grey Seer could not manage to dispel it even with 5 dispel dice. The gateway loomed over the terrified Clanrats and after a roll of double sixes for determining strength it whisked the entire unit and the Grey Seer into the realm of chaos. yes :)

Malorian
13-07-2010, 22:00
Yes gateway does help, but even without it a lot of the reports I'm reading is showing an average game length of 4 turns.

The maps made for a very clear report. Thanks for taking the time :)

Rochr
14-07-2010, 00:06
Yes gateway does help, but even without it a lot of the reports I'm reading is showing an average game length of 4 turns.

The maps made for a very clear report. Thanks for taking the time :)

Yea the Gateway was pure luck. I almost felt bad for rolling double sixes. I wouldn't really mind changing lore but I just hate losing the cheap flying ability from the Disc.

SevenSins
14-07-2010, 09:38
nice rep and schematic thingies.

That first turn gateway did indeed make it a challenge for the skaven to win.

call to glory is also a fun spell now with the changes to remains in play

Rochr
14-07-2010, 19:20

Call to Glory is definitely one of my favourite spells right now.

Toshiro
14-07-2010, 19:57
Good report, thanks for sharing your 8th ed experience =)

Ancre
14-07-2010, 20:43
I am awed by your pictures. How do you do them ? Do you do it by had (well, computer skills) or do you have a program with stuff in it ?

Other than that, interesting tutorial ; but the skaven was really decimated on turn 1 with that spell :)

meowser
14-07-2010, 20:45
I am awed by your pictures. How do you do them ? Do you do it by had (well, computer skills) or do you have a program with stuff in it ?

Other than that, interesting tutorial ; but the skaven was really decimated on turn 1 with that spell :)

It looks like her used battle chronicler for the pictures, google it up

Rochr
15-07-2010, 10:10

Like Meowser said I am using a software called Battle Chronicler. It is a pretty solid piece but takes a little time to get used to.

http://www.battlechronicler.com/

w3rm
15-07-2010, 15:32
Great report! I love your maps.

Caladin
15-07-2010, 17:15
Crazy game but a great report. Thanks!

E-Dog
15-07-2010, 22:13
Awsome report! Thanks for posting.

mrtspence
16-07-2010, 20:44
Fantastic Bat-rep. I just downloaded that program and am looking forward to seeing results as crisp and effective as yours. Thanks.

Zso Sahaal
17-07-2010, 08:32
nice battle report, was good fun to read. cheers