PDA

View Full Version : Using 40K daemons -- do I need to square base 'em?

Shrapnelsmile
13-07-2010, 23:32
I'm considering halfing my modeling time by using my Chaos Space Marines Daemons toward a Daemon army in fantasy, as I really want to play something.

most are round-based, mainly plague bearers -- is this an issue?
Will I be able to play in tournaments?
Will they fall over easily in the movement tray?
Will they look so horrid that my opponents, many of whom fully paint their armies, complain?
Do any of use do this as well?
Is it difficult to pry a unit of its round base and square-base it? Does it damage the model?

basic questions, but important before I trash some nicely painted PB's, and re-base the flock on my Furies.

Rogzor87
13-07-2010, 23:35
I've seen people use circular bases for fantasy. They rank up just fine in Movement trays. Its when you have things outside movement trays when it gets tricky. You could try to make some special square bases that you can just insert your circular ones into that would make them the even squares.

Also I never had a problem with braking off bases unless I used the Plastic glue.

bluemage
14-07-2010, 00:05
You can use the round bases and with movement trays it should be fine. But you'll be at a disadvantage when it comes to template weapons. I would break them off the current bases and insert pins into the feet/legs of your models. Then then you would be able to move them from square bases to round bases for whichever game your playing.

AlphariusOmegon20
16-07-2010, 01:52
Magnetize the tray itself with a magnetic sheet and then place a magnetic base on the bottom of the daemon's base. I believe gale force 9 makes a kit for just such of this thing.

Emeraldw
16-07-2010, 01:58
I don't see why you can't just square base. The base size in Fantasty is more useful than a circle base in 40k.

Zaustus
16-07-2010, 02:07
Gale Force 9 makes movement trays with round slots for your models. That would work just fine.

http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=103

minionboy
16-07-2010, 05:37
My friend just cuts apart the LOTR movement bases. It's not 100% exactly the correct width, but it's good enough.

Dokushin
16-07-2010, 05:58
You shouldn't have any trouble, but be aware that the game is balanced around the various base sizes and how they interact; it's very important that you know what your base size is supposed to be and what that means for base-to-base contact and whatnot. You really should look at getting a square-base adapter or rebasing them if you're serious.

R-Love
16-07-2010, 06:00
most are round-based, mainly plague bearers -- is this an issue?

If you put them on a movement tray with the edges marked where the square bases would be (like this (http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1030025&prodId=prod1095472)), it shouldn't be a problem, really. Single models and the like should probably be either square-based or have a removable tray to mark the edges

Will I be able to play in tournaments?

You should check with the organizer first, but I doubt it would be a problem

Will they fall over easily in the movement tray?

They shouldn't, assuming they're stable enough to begin with :)

Will they look so horrid that my opponents, many of whom fully paint their armies, complain?

Not quite sure what you mean here...if you mean you're models are not painted, probably. If they are, just mounted on round bases (assuming you have made some effort to mark the area the Square base would take up), and they still complain, they're just being dicks.

Is it difficult to pry a unit of its round base and square-base it? Does it damage the model?

Depends on how well you attached it, really. I've had models come off bases cleanly most of the time, though some have damaged the model. Models with slots have always come off easier, I've found, though

Hope this helps :D

Duke Georgal
16-07-2010, 10:53
Gale Force 9 makes movement trays with round slots for your models. That would work just fine.

http://www.gf9.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=103

These are a great product. They are also useful for hard to rank models like my converted Orc Big'uns. I mount them of 25mm round bases and use this tray. Now I can rotate each one slightly and they rank up easily.

Nagash_FFC
16-07-2010, 11:11
Whats about the other way around? Do you think, is it ok to use Chaos Daemons with square bases in 40k?

Casshole
17-07-2010, 13:15
I cant see why you couldnt, the base shape actually has alot of function in fb whereas 40k is pretty pointless and mostly just stylized to seperate the two games.

a fb game with round bases would be a hella lot more annoyign and troublesome than square ones in 40k. Might be able to stand em up on wierd terrain better too

Zaonite
17-07-2010, 14:54
I'd glue the models to the round bases and then either magnetise the round bases to go on top of the square ones or make your own movement trays (or buy the GF9 ones) to the correct size.

Masakados
17-07-2010, 14:58
I have Demons that I use in 40k, and for playing Fantasy, I use this: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1860245&rootCatGameStyle=

kargie
17-07-2010, 15:58
I use them in both games. What I do is put infantry on round bases and put them in a movement tray. I make one rank on square bases for the front so that we can clearly see base contact (this also means you'll need 2 changelings for example). For skirmishers (flamers and the masque, basically) I use both--I have two masques and two sets of flamers.

The larger models are much easier though--I put them on the smaller base (round for the 40mm and square for the 50mm) and magnetize it. Then I put a strip of rubber metal on the base for the other game. Paint the edges of the second base to match and you are set. Yes this means that some are marginally taller, but it works well. On flyers you can't even tell what's been done.

And since seekers are the first model to actually come with the bike base, I just use only cavalry bases for that size, though I may get around to putting together magentic bike bases for them too.

Billy
17-07-2010, 18:37
To make squares to attach to the bottom of your circle bases i would use the modulat movement tray kit. cut out a bunch of the 25mm squares and magnatise them to the bottom of your circles. Your models would stand slightly higher but you would have a muli-format army. Just a thought.

Lantern
17-07-2010, 19:02
Like some of the other posts, I use the LOTR movement trays for my Deamon infantry and beasts (like the Fiends). I combo'd it with the movement try kit from GW (so I have 3 of the LOTR bases glued into the more traditional movement tray and once its all based up with sand etc, it matches my deamons and actually looks pretty damn good.