PDA

View Full Version : Allies?

kaimarion
14-07-2010, 00:44
Ok so one of the people at my LGC has the new warhammer rulebook and there is a section in there about allies, now according to said player I can now ally my WoC with my DoC with no restrictions is this correct?
Perhaps even a WoC + DoC + Beastmen army!?

Are there any restrictions to the allies rule?

Ultimate Life Form
14-07-2010, 00:50
There are no restrictions as such though you may find that the synergies between allied mortal enemies aren't as good as you'd wish for.

riotknight
14-07-2010, 01:16
Ok so one of the people at my LGC has the new warhammer rulebook and there is a section in there about allies, now according to said player I can now ally my WoC with my DoC with no restrictions is this correct?
Perhaps even a WoC + DoC + Beastmen army!?

Are there any restrictions to the allies rule?

Except that their intended for games in which their are more than 2 players.

kaimarion
14-07-2010, 01:23
Except that their intended for games in which their are more than 2 players.

Does there have to be 2 players on the same side or can the ally rules be used in 1vs1 games?

Ultimate Life Form
14-07-2010, 01:30
It's explicitly for multiplayer games.

The BRB doesn't say there's a one-army-per-person limit but since there is nothing in the entire book that would even remotely indicate the possibility of playing multiple armies it is safe to assume it's not covered by the rules. The description assumes one army per player.

So RAW it is not possible to play more than one army.

riotknight
14-07-2010, 01:30
It states that that's what the rules are for, I'm sure if you talk it over with your opponent for friendly games, they'll let it fly, but as far as I read, it's meant for more than 2 players.

mightyzombie
14-07-2010, 01:43
So RAW it is not possible to play more than one army.

Not true. The Narrative Battle, Hired Swords, on pg 396 expressly allows you to comprise your army from multiple army books, in the form of mercenaries.

riotknight
14-07-2010, 03:27
Keywords there, NARRATIVE BATTLE

mightyzombie
14-07-2010, 04:58
Keywords there, NARRATIVE BATTLE

I see no reason why Narrative Battles would not be considered just as valid alternatives as any of the Pitched Battle scenarios, but that is neither here, nor there.

It was being claimed that
nothing in the entire book (...) would even remotely indicate the possibility of playing multiple armies
There is, fact something that indicates the possibility of doing so in the RBRB. I realize that it's a special scenario rule for a Narrative Battle, but to say that there simply isn't anything like that is either inaccurate, or disingenuous. That's all I was pointing out.

Gorbad Ironclaw
14-07-2010, 05:41
I think the point is that the allied rules are supposed to be for when you have agreed to do it or special cases like multiplayer games. It's not for "normal" pick-up games and the like.

So in essence nothing have really changed as you could always include allies if your opponent(s) where happy for you to do so. All GW have really done is provide a set of guidelines for it so you don't have to house rule how all the interactions work.