PDA

View Full Version : Understanding the Mark of Nurgle. How does it work?

Gratan
14-07-2010, 05:25
After reading several threads here on the Mark of Nurgle and Fear, I realized I dont think I really understand how this Mark works.

Lets say a unit of Chaos Warriors of Nurgle (MoN WS5) is attacking an Empire Halberdier unit (WS 3). They are Base-to-Base and ready to fight. Warriors attack first due to I5 and so need a 3+ to hit (WS5 vs. WS3) the Halberdiers.
Now the Halberdiers go. They are fighting Chaos Warriors with MoN and so with the penalty are now effectively WS2. They are going to need 5+ now (before would have hit on 4+) to hit the Warriors.

Is this how it works? By reading the Mark and the FAQ it sounds like how it goes. The WS of the Halberdiers isnt changed for factoring the Warriors to-hit scores just the ones for the Halberdiers attacking the Warriors.

So if this is the case then when dealing with the added complication of Fear, then a unit of Knights (Fear and MoN) fighting that unit of Halberdiers would still factor their to-hit scores based off the unmodified WS of 3 while the Halberdiers who are now effectively WS0 cant attack back.

NitrosOkay
14-07-2010, 05:28
Mark of Nurgle has no effect if they fail their fear test. They can't go below 1. They'd hit on 5's in both cases.

Gratan
14-07-2010, 05:32
Mark of Nurgle has no effect if they fail their fear test. They can't go below 1. They'd hit on 5's in both cases.

As per the FAQ released July 10, 2010 they removed the "to a Minimum of 1" stipulation....

NitrosOkay
14-07-2010, 06:03
As per the FAQ released July 10, 2010 they removed the "to a Minimum of 1" stipulation....

If that's the case then by the rules they should automatically miss all attacks.