PDA

View Full Version : 2500pts Vampire counts.

Marcus Van'Shezzar
14-07-2010, 05:46
So to start I wanted to field my blood knights along with my Vampire lord, flanked by fell creatures, and his retinue along some freshly harvested zombies and skeletons.

Vampire Lord (Lord Vokial)
Blood drinker sword
walach's hauberk
redfury, forbidden lore (Lore of beasts)
nightmare

vampire (Mistress Vidomina)
helm of command
cadaverous cuiraas
forbidden lore (Lore of light)
summon creatures of the night

Wight King (Galthran)
Battle standard
Enchanted shield
Sword of kings

Necromancer (Sandro)
2x spells (raise dead, vanhells)
black periapt
Dispell scroll

Necro #2 (Nimbus)
Corpse cart with loadstone
2xspells (vanhells)
scepter de noirot

35 skeletons
full command
standard of hellish vigour

35 skeletons
full command

12 dire wolves

20 graveguard
full command, great weapons
banner of the barrows

6 fellbats

5 blood knights
full command with Kastellan (Mistress Tamika)
standard of strigos
biting blade

total:2496

Strategy

Fell bats will swoop around to distract troops, artillery, and bait. The dire wolves will also act the same way protecting my grave guard and blood knights until charge range.

the caster vampire will hide in the back of the grave guard keeping my fell creatures alive with casts to augment their numbers, and use his weapon skill for the wetwork. Having the lore of light will make sure I strike at high initiative (coupled with miasma, trumping elves.)

Necro one will hang back casting invocation yada yada...

necro two will make sure my undead unit hit first, and gain extra wounds with the loadstone. The cart can also thunder stomp.

The blood knights will be lethal with my vampire lord (further augmented by the lore of beasts magiks) hatred on the charge, and frenzy with the ability to heal wounds with every unsaved ones caused by my lord... beastly.

Submitted for your approval, further tweaking, and/or outright adjusting.
I am firm on my stand when using the fell bats and dire wolves though.

NitrosOkay
14-07-2010, 05:57
Grave Guard have to all have Great Weapons or none. Reccomend just giving it to all of them, great now with step up.

The Kastellan may only take a magic weapon worth up to 25 points. Not armour.

Recommend removing the Zombie unit, buffing the Skeletons to 35 strong each then summoning the Zombie unit during the game. War Banner does more than the Endless Nightmare for the same points.

The Necromancers are awfully expensive for a toughness 3 2 wound model with no armour. I can't imagine an earthing rod actually meaning much with one. Black Periapt and Earthing Rod is two Arcane Items which is illegal. One from each category. What is "Wind of Change" and how do Necromancers take it?

Vampire Lord must pay 35 points for Forbidden Lore to take Lore of Beasts. Walach's Bloody Hauberk and Enchanted Shield are two magic armour pieces which is illegal. Vampire Lord must take the Dread Knight vampiric power to take a Barded Nightmare. Just replace Supernatural Horror with it since Terror is so mediocre now.

Vampire with the Lore of Light is like the anti-fluff but it's your army. Strongly advise investing in a Battle Standard Bearer, preferably a Wight King to re-roll all leadership tests and crumble less.

Marlow
14-07-2010, 08:00
You really need a Wight King with BSB & Sword of Kings. 125 points of greatness!

You can not take walach's hauberk & enchanted shield as they are both Magic Armour and you can not take Lord of Beasts without taking Forbidden Lore Power...

I would be more tempted to take Dread Knight over Supernatural Horror as a power and then take Blooddrinker, Armulet of Preservation (4+ Ward) & Black Periapt as items.

McBaine
14-07-2010, 09:01
Vampire Lord (Lord Vokail)
Blood drinker sword
walach's hauberk
enchanted shield
redfury, infinate hatred, supernatural horror.
Bard nightmare
Lore of beasts

Wow, you got some illegal build issues there...
Hauberk and enchanted shield are both armour. You can't take more than one from a category.
A Vampire Lord has only the option for a nightmare, not a barded one. If you want a barded one you have to take dread knight.
You cant choose beast lore. If you dont take forbidden lore, you are stuck with the lore of vampires.

Necromancer (Sandro)
2x spells (raise dead, vanhells)
Earthing rod
black periapt
Two Arcane Items. not legal.

Necro #2 (Nimbus)
2xspells (Wind of change, vanhells)
staff of damnation
dispell scroll
Two Arcane Items. In addition to that staff of damnation is 40 pts and Dispel scroll is 25 pts. You are only allowed 50 pts. Not legal.

20 graveguard
full command, champion has great weapon
banner of the barrows
If this means that you equipped the champion with a great weapon but not the rest of the unit, this is also illegal. Every model in the unit has to have the same equipment.

Well, as I write this, I see that NitrosOkay pointed most of it out already... never mind then.
But you should read the rules again...

Marcus Van'Shezzar
14-07-2010, 22:42
Amended and tweaked. Earthing rod taken out of the necro one and staff stays. Both have dispell scrolls?

The vampire lord will just have a knightmare, and the hauberk. Replace supernatural terror and infinate hatred with forbidden lore. (im not sure about the points, i dont have the book up in front of me.) Lore of beasts it is.

Wight king eh? maybe I can shave the points off of the grave guard? or get rid of the zombies to build a wight king, redirect points to skellies for 35 men goodness.

Took off armor for the kasetellan.

Ill edit this in detail later with the modified scores. Thanks for the clarifications, this is my first time building an army.

Nitro: Im sure its a bit anti fluff, but I have a great back-story for that. Not every vampire starts off a evil you know. ;)

QuietEarth
14-07-2010, 23:30
Unfortunately Necromancers can only take the three Necromancy spells so no Wind of Death

Royals
14-07-2010, 23:39
In 8th edition, I really don't think it's worth the extra 15 pts to buy an extra spell on Necromancers. VHD should be what your Necros are casting

Marcus Van'Shezzar
15-07-2010, 02:00
Unfortunately Necromancers can only take the three Necromancy spells so no Wind of Death
Thankyou, noted.

In 8th edition, I really don't think it's worth the extra 15 pts to buy an extra spell on Necromancers. VHD should be what your Necros are casting
VHD it is.

Oh and what does the battle standard do and whats an effective battle standard bearer/wight king build for cheap that worked for you guys.

NitrosOkay
15-07-2010, 03:06
Oh and what does the battle standard do and whats an effective battle standard bearer/wight king build for cheap that worked for you guys.

The Battle Standard affects all friendly units within 12".

They may re-roll ALL leadership based tests. Including stupidity, spell caused leadership tests, swift reform tests, combat reform tests.

Wounds caused by losing combat are reduced by 1 for all units within 12". The crumble wounds you take from combat resolution.

It costs a mere 25 points for this. If the Wight King carries it it's on a model with 3 wounds and toughness 5. I find he works fine with just a Great Weapon in a unit with the Banner of the Barrows (which affects him). He will cost 110 points with the Standard.

Just my opinion but Necromancers are also good for one dice cast Invocation of Nehek. Invocation and Vanhels are both useful, not really raise dead.

You may only take ONE dispel scroll per army in 8th. All items may only be taken once unless otherwise specified. The Blood Knight Kastellan (champion) is allowed to take one magic weapon worth up to 25 points. He is not allowed to take magic armour (enchanted shield).

Marcus Van'Shezzar
15-07-2010, 07:44
Just my opinion but Necromancers are also good for one dice cast Invocation of Nehek. Invocation and Vanhels are both useful, not really raise dead.

You may only take ONE dispel scroll per army in 8th.

Really you don't see potential in necros? Hmm, well the one dispell scroll is out for sure. Im not sure though if I keep the necros cheap my magik phase will be very mediocre, only able to do vanhells and invocation...

Im sold on the wight king, I was originally looking at having him in a unit of black knights but thought better against it. cant I make my other vampire be the standard bearer and keep him in the unit of GG? I mean if I resolve the combat with him first (and win of course) Im free to use his WS with the crown, and having the standard there to help WILL be a great opportunity.

NitrosOkay
15-07-2010, 08:31
Your magic phase will be fine with cheap Necromancers. Your Vampires will be doing most of the casting. I think with so many casters you may find yourself without enough power dice for them to all cast.

Consider the Master of the Black Arts power instead of Forbidden Lore.

Marcus Van'Shezzar
22-07-2010, 09:56
Total is now up, I haven't seen my book around lol. Anyway, Im making a skeven slayer army. And a High elf slayer army variation of the above list. I'll just maintain this thread As I keep making lists for the races Ill encounter.

I cant thank you all enough for sharing your inputs. And for that I have one more request to make within the next few days. As I said from above, I want to make lists to counter the races I have mentioned. If you have a race you play named above, try to see how you will go about defeating my army. Then we can both learn from each other.

Thanks,
Marcus Van'Shezzar

Marcus Van'Shezzar
23-07-2010, 07:55
Heres my variation for the above list this one I want to take on high elves.

Vampire Lord (Lord Vokial)
Blood drinker sword
walach's hauberk
redfury, forbidden lore (Lore of beasts)

helm of command
Gamblers Armor (or nightshrowd -5pts)
(if nightshrowd is chosen Ill give her warrior bane sword for 5pts)
forbidden lore

Wight King (Galthran)
Battle standard
Enchanted shield
Sword of kings
Barded skeletal steed

Necro (Nimbus)
2xspells (vanhells)
book of arkahn

35 skeletons
full command
Banner of endless nightmare

35 skeletons
full command

12 dire wolves

10 black knights
full command
banner of the barrows
barded steeds

6 fellbats

Black coach

Total 2432

Since my buddy will have casters, Its a good idea to have the black coach cause pressure on them. The black knights will ride in with the corpse cart to counteract the ASF ability of the elves.

Its going to be tricky but Im toying with the idea of somehow increasing the I of my units or matching theirs, or tarpit them long enough for my vamps to deal damage with the skellie units. Im also thinking of having ghouls in with the army but for elite elvish units, cheap, plenty affordable units are the way to go.

For bolt throwers theres the fellbats, for screening the direwolves will help.

If I change the black coach into a varghulf, I can but the standard of drakenhoff keep (+4 ward save on shooting). This gets rid of the said unit though...

McBaine
23-07-2010, 08:15
helm of command
armor of night
sword of battle
forbidden lore
You are over your item allowance. You are only allowed 50 points, the items on that vampire are 70 points

Necro (Nimbus)
2xspells (vanhells)
book of arkahn
Dispell scroll
same as above, your necro has 60 pts worth of items. Also, you cannot take two items from the same category. These are both arcane items.

35 skeletons
full command

35 skeletons
full command

Is this a copy/paste error ? If this is not the case, you can take every item just once.

Marcus Van'Shezzar
23-07-2010, 09:01
Recalculated. Hows the build so far? Would it stand up to 2500 pts of high elves?

McBaine
23-07-2010, 09:53
Recalculated.

helm of command
armor of night
forbidden lore

Dude, you may wanna recalculate again... 30+25 is 55, which is exceeding the 50 pts limit by 5 pts...

Hows the build so far? Would it stand up to 2500 pts of high elves?

Depends...
The black coach is awesome and a good choice. Giving one of your units WS from your vampire is also good. But if a magic phase goes bad you face some elves which have far superior stats and will ASF and reroll hits against your troops.
Thought about spears on your skelli units ? This way more attacks can come back. You have to make the elves pay for every kill.
Our core troops may be weaker, but the elves are dying as fast and cant be refilled, costing a couple of points more each.

Marcus Van'Shezzar
24-07-2010, 00:22
Ill think of having the other half with spears for 35 pts. Ill just have to take some points off somewhere. Hopefully the corpse cart will give the skellies ASF to counteract/cancel the rerolling elves. If I get speed of light from the lore of light, I can give them I10 and WS10.

Marcus Van'Shezzar
26-07-2010, 21:38
Skaven taker

Lord
Aura of dark majesty, avatar of death, infinate hatred
Walachs hauberk, helm of command, sword of might
+1 magic level

Heroes

Vampire
Forbidden lore, summon creatures of the night (ghoulkin, or lord of the dead)
cadaverous cuirass, sword of battle, talisman of protection

Wight king
Battle standard bearer
flag of blood keep

necromancer
x2 spells
wrists of black gold, black periept
corpsecart with loadstone

Core

28 skeletons
full command, standard of hellish vigour

27 skeletons
full command, banner of endless nightmare

20 ghouls
crypt ghast

10 direwolves with doomwolf

corpse cart with loadstone

Special

20 gravegaurd
handweapons and shields, full command
banner of the barrows

6 felbats

Rare
Vaghulf.

total 2498

Pretty easy build, I want to focus on breaking low leadership units. The lord is kitted out to have as much impact in combat leaderships. Im considering having the maniacal Konrad in the vampire hero's space.

Having the wight king hold the banner of blood keep will give 12" bubble of 4+ wardsaves to shooting jezzails. Two corpsecarts make sure my undead units can strike first, regenerate faster and have three units that can thunderstop (vaghulf included)

Any ideas on how to take down doomwheels?

Marcus Van'Shezzar
08-08-2010, 21:44
Ummm, Bump?