PDA

View Full Version : Rally fleeing troops in 8th

Zephel
14-07-2010, 05:59
So I noticed something in the 8th edition rule book, and have noticed no one mention anything on it. I talked with a friend of mine and we thought about it, and it's hard to tell what it means.

On page 24 it reads: "If the unit started to flee in this turn it cannot attempt to rally- there's too much momentum built up already!"

Now I looked up 'turn' on page 12 under the Turn Sequence: "In a complete game turn, both players get a turn.."

Now think carefully. Is the reference on page 24 to a player's turn or game turn? If it's referencing a player's turn the rule is being redundant because you can only rally during compulsory moves. If it's referring to game turn...

Scenario. You are player A facing opponent B. B goes first, shoots at a unit and takes out over 25%. You take a panic check, fail, and flee. On YOUR turn you cannot attempt to rally since they fled during THAT GAME TURN.

So which is it? I know some are gonna think "duh it's player turn cause that's lame otherwise". But is it? The rulebook DOES NOT SPECIFY if it's player turn or game turn. One side of the argument, the rule is redundant. The other side, this is a big change. Thoughts?

Reinier
14-07-2010, 07:49
you confuse with player turn and game turn. A game has most of the times 6 game turn in wich eac player has its own turn. You can rally only in your turn and only if it had not fled because of a flee reaction.

Frosty_TK
14-07-2010, 07:56
It will pretty surely be a players turn. There's a part in the basic rules that refers to using turns and players turn, and something about which to use unless specifically stated otherwise. I'll look it up in my german edition once I get home.

narrativium
14-07-2010, 07:56
"In a complete game turn, both players get a turn.."

This introduces two terms. "Game turn", which in your example, is every occurrence of B's turn followed by A's, and "turn" which is generally considered to mean "player turn".

Assume that unless "turn" is preceded by "game", it's not a game turn.

Zephel
14-07-2010, 08:49
That makes sense, but I hope they errata it or something of the sort. I can see people pulling up the argument in games due to lack of specification.

Lord Zarkov
14-07-2010, 10:32
BRB p12, left column, bottom paragraph

Whenever a rule refers to a 'turn', whether in this book, a Warhammer Armies book or an expansion, it means 'player turn', otherwise it will specifically state 'game turn'.
So the rulebook actually makes it very clear - anyone turning it into an argument is simply cheating.

Edit: The reason the rallying rule is there is that some special rules can cause you to flee at the start of your turn, obviously you wouldn't then be able to rally them that turn!

Zephel
14-07-2010, 11:19
And there it is. I was so busy reading the bold, and then doing a double take that I didn't even notice that right below it. THAT is fantastic, thanks!

Lhel
14-07-2010, 12:35
And there it is. I was so busy reading the bold, and then doing a double take that I didn't even notice that right below it. THAT is fantastic, thanks!
One of the few times I've heard fantastic and a GW rulebook in the same context, but at least it's pretty much Rules Lawyer-proof.

Frosty_TK
14-07-2010, 13:01
BRB p12, left column, bottom paragraph

So the rulebook actually makes it very clear - anyone turning it into an argument is simply cheating.

Edit: The reason the rallying rule is there is that some special rules can cause you to flee at the start of your turn, obviously you wouldn't then be able to rally them that turn!

Thank you, that's exactly what I was thinking of =)