PDA

View Full Version : The Daemon Prince:

Lanparth
14-07-2010, 07:16
I've been really thinking about starting a Warriors of Chaos Army, and I've always been enthralled with the idea of a Daemon Prince, however every edition I look in he seems kinda, erm, what's the term for not so good? :P

I was wondering if there is any way to run this guy without making him a Tzeentch Prince?

Is Nurgle Viable? Undivided? Slaanesh? Khorne?

Eta
14-07-2010, 07:30
Khorne is the least viable because he has only average combat power, no armour save and only a low ward save.
The other builds can be viable (with four magic levels, of course) depending on your enemy. Slaanesh still has some nice spells that manipulate the movement of your opponent and the sixth spell is potentially devastating against horde formations. Nurgle is good against enemies with strong armour as four of the six spells penalise / ignore a high armour save. Can't say anything about an undivided prince,I do not have the new rulebook, yet.

But in general, there is nothing a tooled up sorcerer lord could not do better and cheaper than a Daemon Prince. The K.O. criteria for me are the low survivabilty & high price.

Greetings
Eta

Khal
14-07-2010, 07:40
The last edition the only viable Daemon Prince was Tzeentch, the infamous Gateway Prince. It basically was a DP lvl4, mark of tzeentch and tendrils of tzeentch ( the demonic gift that allows you to re-roll one dice every turn ) and the tactic was to get de gateway, hid rear a forest and gateway to death any interesting unit out there.

This edition... i really dont know. Maybe in a month it'll be playtested, but I see more worthy options in the armybook!

Hashulaman
14-07-2010, 07:50
Given the New lores a Undevided DP might be okay. A DP to me is a decent chocie if you HAVE to have a compromise between Close Combat and magic. What I'd do is give him Tzeentchs tendirls, Fury of the Blood god and Stream of Corruption. It can modify casting values, Has a 2++ against Magic Missiles and Direct Damage Spells and when you get into combat you can unleash the 2D6 atatcks ontop of your own attacks and then D6 thunderstomp attacks. Rather devestating if you hit them in the flank. I have found this to be one of the better combinations on paper. Only reason I think a Undevided would work is if you takeoneof these new lores that are almost better than the Army Book lores. Though personally I'd stck to Tzeentch for the improved ward save as you have NO armor whatsoever.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
14-07-2010, 10:14
Given the New lores a Undevided DP might be okay. A DP to me is a decent chocie if you HAVE to have a compromise between Close Combat and magic. What I'd do is give him Tzeentchs tendirls, Fury of the Blood god and Stream of Corruption. It can modify casting values, Has a 2++ against Magic Missiles and Direct Damage Spells and when you get into combat you can unleash the 2D6 atatcks ontop of your own attacks and then D6 thunderstomp attacks. Rather devestating if you hit them in the flank. I have found this to be one of the better combinations on paper. Only reason I think a Undevided would work is if you takeoneof these new lores that are almost better than the Army Book lores. Though personally I'd stck to Tzeentch for the improved ward save as you have NO armor whatsoever.

Yeah I'd go with that, Tzeentch with Tendrils, Stream, Fury and Lvl4, that's the best build.

Nixon

ShurikenSerpent
14-07-2010, 11:25
I'm contemplating a Daemon Prince myself - Bog standard DP with MoT, Fury of the Blood God and Bloodcurdling Roar. More because I love the Forgeworld Khornate DP than any other reason, but I think it could be speedy and killy enough to protect flanks/hunt warmachines and take on skirmishers, small elite units or cavalry on it's own.

Imho the ability to take up to, say 50pts of magic items could have made a lot of difference to the DP, but having to run them naked & with gifts and marks as the only available options, for their points they're just not as effective as a lord.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
14-07-2010, 11:27
And they definitely need Chaos Armour. Even the new model shows it with armour :shifty:.

Nixon

Lanparth
14-07-2010, 12:16
The Demon Prince sadly has always kinda been this.

A kinda weak compromise unit that is supposed to be the end goal for all Chaos Lords. When a Chaos Lord can beat the *crap* out of a Demon Prince.

Poor design. Poor, poor design.

Zangor
14-07-2010, 12:39
A demon prince is simply not worth fielding unless you REALLY want to. I love my DP model and i spend more then 100 hours painting him, but im not going to field him because he is nowhere near being worth hes price. The main problem (appart from being overpriced) is that he dies too easily. He has a 5+ ward save (4+ with MoT) and you can add some magic resistance to it, but that is simply not enough for a character that cant join units and cant benefit from LOS from any of the other units.

EDIT: I was thinking about fielding my DP and have it count as a tzeentch lord on a disc.

NixonAsADaemonPrince
14-07-2010, 15:04
EDIT: I was thinking about fielding my DP and have it count as a tzeentch lord on a disc.

Yeah I was thinking along the same lines, it's such a shame not to use the models because their rules let them down so badly.

Nixon

Lanparth
14-07-2010, 22:46
Wonder if you could just count him as a Lord on a Daemonic Mount.

Jericho
15-07-2010, 01:24
I'm actually considering using a DP to represent Gaulrauch, since that model is so ugly, expensive, and prone to breaking. That might be a better option, since Gaulrauch actually gets some interesting abilities in the new rules. Mostly comes down to having 3 breath attacks and having a good enough statline to more or less ignore the new uber spells (I check or die, S check or die, etc). 3 breath attacks plus Thunderstomp means some nasty auto hit action every time he sees combat (and guaranteed overkill in most challenges).

Man I really am trying to find a case where Princes are worth taking. It's so damn hard. If they came with Chaos Armor or had 4++ ward, were maybe 50 pts cheaper, could take 50 pts of magic items then maybe some combination of those things would be enough to make them worthwhile. They would still cost a fortune (and they should!) but they would have more obvious upside compared to comparable points of other Lord types.

Right now the combination of flying and access to more Common lores is the only real selling feature. Which for Lore of Shadows/Death is actually pretty good. And an unmarked Sorc Lord can do most of that already, or just take Third Eye and steal whatever spells the other guy has.