PDA

View Full Version : 8th Edition House Rules

WarmbloodedLizard
14-07-2010, 13:12
Those are not meant to be implemented right aways. we will first play (almost) RAW for a while. (and they probably won't all be accepted^^)

What do you think of the list? what's missing? what would you house rule differently? (they are not written watertight, just apply common sense)

I only included house rules for our main armies, so any good house rules that make sense for the remaning armies are welcome.

General:
--------
1. Special characters are not allowed
2. The BSB doesn't suffer any penalties for taking the Battle Standard (he still can't have magic items + magic banner combined)
3. If a unit's ranks are broken, it cannot gain steadfast (unless Stubborn)
4. (Monstrous) Cavalry needs at least 5+x (x=Rank Bonus) models to break ranks (instead of at least 1 bonus rank). For Hordes, they need 5+2x (x=Rank Bonus) models.
5. Ward and Regeneration saves are allowed against any spell that would wound or kill/remove a model (including magic resistance).
6. When a unit with a BSB fails its break test, the Character isn't killed but replaced with a non-BSB model.
7. When a unit charges through terrain, it subtracts D6" from it's charge (unless strider).
8. Units with a strider rule keep their rankbonus when in specific terrain.
9. Skirmishers: 360 LoS. no more than 1/2" appart. no flanks/rear(unless already in combat). in combat, rank them up like in 7th.
10. More than one Wizard can have the same spell. (no reroll if another wizard already has it)
11. swarms are at an additional -1 to hit in Close Combat + through Shooting.

Line of Sight/Cover:
--------------------
1. Units cannot see beyond woods unless they are inside it.
2. Hills and high impassible terrain block LoS completely.
3. Single infantry models are at -1 to hit and get a +1 to their ward save against non-BS warmachines and magic missiles.
4. Units block LoS to anything that is the same size or smaller. If the unit behind is bigger, it can be seen but is at -1 to hit and gets +1 to their wardsaves against non-BS Warmachines and magic missiles. Large Targets never get this cover save/ward save increase. When shot at from a hill, LoS can only be blocked by Large Targets/Terrain.
(Sizes: small/swarms < 20mm < 25mm < cavalry/40mm < anything bigger < large targets)

Armies:
-------
Wood Elves:
1. All Elves in the WE army are at -1 to hit in Close Combat (but are always hit on at least a 6+).
2. When a character on an Elven Steed joins a Fast Cavalry unit, he also gets the Fast Cavalry special rule.

Ogres:
1. Slaughtermaster don't have a Tyrant as a prequisite.
2. No 0-1 restriction for Tyrants.
3. You can have as many Gnoblar Fighters units as you have "Bulls or Ironguts" (instead of just for Bulls).
4. No mandatory 1+ Bulls.

Dwarfs:
1. Slayer Characters have access to Runic Talismans.
2. No 0-1 restriction for Anvil.

Lizardmen:
1. Razordons eat D3 skinks for every missfire rolled; during stand&shoot all shots count, even if one of the dice is a missfire.
2. When a Stegadon is hit by a template, only the stegadon and one of the riders is hit (randomize which one if character present)

(twice as long as our 7th edition house rules... says a lot about this edition^^)

thechosenone
14-07-2010, 13:50
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266258

here's a topic that might help

And, have you really played enough games to say those rules are needed? Some seem tailormade just to avoid a units weaknesses and keep all their strengths. I think the main rule book clarifies and agrees with most if not all your changes for ogres.

Most of your stuff isn't bad, with the exception of the woodelf one. Why? Why would you do that? Its just another way to cover the weakness of an army? But since your abundance of army wide boosting house rules is evenly distributed i guess its fair in that context.

8th edition is pretty much fine, it just seems like your group wants to have armies beating eachothers faces without worrying too much about the built in flaws of said army. More power to you.

WarmbloodedLizard
14-07-2010, 14:39
And, have you really played enough games to say those rules are needed?

no, the rules are only ideas right now, addressing the obvisous problems of 8th. (nerfing of CC skirmishers, unstoppable uber-spells, etc) we don't play with them, yet.

I think the main rule book clarifies and agrees with most if not all your changes for ogres.
The BRB only removes the slot system, not unit specific restrictions.

Some seem tailormade just to avoid a units weaknesses and keep all their strengths.
Most of your stuff isn't bad, with the exception of the woodelf one. Why? Why would you do that? Its just another way to cover the weakness of an army? But since your abundance of army wide boosting house rules is evenly distributed i guess its fair in that context.

It's to make all the troop types viable to allow more diverse armies. (e.g. cavalry is very weak in 8th; ogres are forced totake similar armylists) Also, to adjust army powerlevels. (e.g. most non-treekin/-man WE units seem pretty shafted at the moment.)

8th edition is pretty much fine, it just seems like your group wants to have armies beating eachothers faces without worrying too much about the built in flaws of said army. More power to you.

I think they still retain almost all their weaknesses. its more an adaption to 8th ed. (e.g. WE suffer a lot from step-up, so we make them harder to hit in CC. they are still the same against magic/shooting. but if you have a better/more elegant idea, I'm glad to adopt it :)) GW are not bad designers but they are not great either and didn't factor in all armies when they made the changes or they did with the goal to sell more models by making the current stars of the armies worse and the worse ones the stars. the house rules are there to even this out a little.

Von Wibble
14-07-2010, 17:33
I'd say if you are going to give wood elves an army wide buff, tie it into how they fight in forests. I would simply propose that all units in the wood elf army may choose to ignore any effects in mysterious forests if they wish (but can still claim the positive effects). Only a small boost but better than the current one (which does absolutely nothing!).

WarmbloodedLizard
14-07-2010, 19:30
I'd say if you are going to give wood elves an army wide buff, tie it into how they fight in forests. I would simply propose that all units in the wood elf army may choose to ignore any effects in mysterious forests if they wish (but can still claim the positive effects). Only a small boost but better than the current one (which does absolutely nothing!).

the problem is, that we probably won't play with magical terrain that much ^^

Jadiel
15-07-2010, 00:37
General:
--------
6. Spells cannot reduce stats to lower than 1.

You don't need to house rule this - it's in the BRB (p. 31)

SilasOfTheLambs
15-07-2010, 01:19
Giving a single dwarf player two anvils (and I speak as a long-time dwarf player) is disgustingly OP. You can't dispel it. One should be enough, anyway.

Stronginthearm
15-07-2010, 06:45
using more then one anvil is absurd, I've only ever seen multiple in a 12k game involving 6different armies, and it was still nasty

Seth the Dark
15-07-2010, 07:34
Why don't you just go back to 7th?

WarmbloodedLizard
15-07-2010, 08:42
Why don't you just go back to 7th?

right, because 7th is totally the same as 8th + house rules. except, that it is completetly different... just don't post if you don't wanna be constructive.

@jadiel: yeah, you're right. thanks :)

@two anvils: anvils can only be fielded in games 2520+, our gaming levels will probably be 1200, 2400 and 2999. do you think 2 regular anvils is overpowered in 2999? (it does take almost all of the lord-points allowance while the other player can take a lv4 and a tooled up combathero or another lv4.)

edit: or do you think restrictions like for VC an TK (unit can only move once with the movement spell) would make it balanced?