PDA

View Full Version : New Player

KainMalice
14-07-2010, 18:00
Ok so, I am a completely new player, looking to get into Skaven for Warhammer. I realize a new edition came out, and I would need to buy those books and whatnot, but to be honest I think the only real way I am going to get to have a game taught to me, I am going to have to buy a bunch of models, and put them together before someone bothers to teach me to play. Thing is, I don't really want to buy a bunch of models that are horrible. So far, I really like that huge bell the Skaven have, and that Doomwheel. But beyond that, I really don't know where I would begin. If anyone could maybe suggest a 2000 point list, or something like that to get me started? I mean, is the Skaven Battalion box any good? Anyway, any advice is appreciated...

Angelust
14-07-2010, 18:07
If you wait a while, the new starter box will come with miniature rule book, and lots of skaven to start off with. The Elves that also come in the box can probably be sold to somebody, which will let you get started pretty cheaply.

bluemage
14-07-2010, 18:50
I also recommend you wait for the starter set to come out. But if you want to get started now there are a couple of units that work well in 8th. Slaves, clanrats, warpfire throwers, plague furnace, doomwheel. Its just that half of that comes in the new starter set, so by waiting you'll save a bundle.

So umm, buy the furnace and plague monks, and start getting them built and painted up. Go ahead and get a doomwheel and some giant rats and just paint stuff while you're waiting for the starter set.

willowdark
14-07-2010, 18:57
If you are that new of a player you may not have a full appreciation for force organization rules. I'd buy the book and focus first at filling your 25% core requirement with what looks like the most effective and fun choices. Buy that stuff first and you'll almost never go wrong. Plus, a proxy army looks a lot better when you can at least boast an authentic core selection.

Core is really always a good place to start.

KainMalice
14-07-2010, 19:12
Is the Skaven Battalion box worth getting? Also, my friend keeps telling me there is a PDF with all of the changes to the models, and I can't find it. Can you guys point me in the right direction?

Solaaris
15-07-2010, 21:47
Battalion box is a good and cheap way to start mate, it's how I started my Skaven when they were re-released last year