PDA

View Full Version : Tzeentch

Ba'al Starslayer
14-07-2010, 23:16
Just curious... I'm a dedicated servant of the Emperor, so don't blame me for my lack of Daemonology!

Why is Tzeentch 'known' to be a serpent.... yet he's known to his followers as the Raven God? Is there a reason for this? Horrors have feathers on them and the Lord of Change is clearly raven-esque in appearance....

Farseer Dave
14-07-2010, 23:24
Just curious... I'm a dedicated servant of the Emperor, so don't blame me for my lack of Daemonology!

Why is Tzeentch 'known' to be a serpent.... yet he's known to his followers as the Raven God? Is there a reason for this? Horrors have feathers on them and the Lord of Change is clearly raven-esque in appearance....

Tzeentch is many things he is the Lord of Change, to some he appears in one form to others another.

Farseer Dave.

Son of Sanguinius
14-07-2010, 23:28
When you boil everything down to the underlying reasons, Farseer Dave is right.

Think of the image of a serpent consuming itself. It's an infinite cycle of creation and destruction. Change given form. That's Tzeentch for you.

Asurman
14-07-2010, 23:48
Think of the image of a serpent consuming itself. It's an infinite cycle of creation and destruction. Change given form. That's Tzeentch for you.

Fitting then that one of the symbols used to represent Tzeentch is the Ouroboros. ;)

Son of Sanguinius
15-07-2010, 01:41
Kudos, Asurman. Not many people know what that is. :)

Asurman
15-07-2010, 02:12

I've always been fascinated by ancient human symbols; I also have one between my shoulder blades. ;)

Karl MkVI
15-07-2010, 10:44

don't they?

EDIT: wow, look at me being all high-and-mighty lol. not the intention :)

aim
15-07-2010, 11:10
don't they?

Don't wory about it, that was my reaction too haha.

hateful
15-07-2010, 12:28
i think you underestmate people most will know what Ouroboros is and represents especally those who have watched red dwarf

Memnos
15-07-2010, 12:49
i think you underestmate people most will know what Ouroboros is and represents especally those who have watched red dwarf

We all know what the Ouroboros represents:

A really gross creature that latches its mouth to it's own bum!

If Tzeentch represents that, then I'm washing my hands every time I beat one down. And I currently play Beastmen, who regularly poop on flags and hoist them up high.

Ba'al Starslayer
15-07-2010, 14:29
The Ouroboros is a symbol of Alchemy as far as I'm aware. The creature consuming itself.
However, if this is true, why no other forms? You never here "For the Serpent God" etc... Nor do you see (Unless converted, I guess) a serpent-based Daemon of Tzeentch

abasio
15-07-2010, 14:41

Our Rob or Ross

they couldn't even decide on a name :D

Szafraniec
15-07-2010, 14:59
Didnt it try to eat Chris Redfield?

Lupe
15-07-2010, 16:41
Part of Tzeentch's repertoire, tbh.

The serpent is the perpetual change and the cunning.

The raven is foresight and the herald of monumental changes.

Idaan
15-07-2010, 19:14
We all know what the Ouroboros represents:

A really gross creature that latches its mouth to it's own bum!

If Tzeentch represents that, then I'm washing my hands every time I beat one down. And I currently play Beastmen, who regularly poop on flags and hoist them up high.

You never go ass to mouth!

Forgive me, oh mods the use of the word "ass", but it's a quote.

SeaSwift
15-07-2010, 19:43
You never go ass to mouth!

Forgive me, oh mods the use of the word "ass", but it's a quote.

And if anybody asks, you were talking about the donkey :shifty:

Really, I'm surprised Tzeentch isn't known by more names in the fluff...

And the Ouroboros (sp?) was from Norse mythology, I believe (Jormungandr?). It is on the Thousand Sons' shoulderpads, I think.

Asurman
15-07-2010, 20:32
don't they?

I think it's pretty common knowledge to us nerds. :p

In the outside world, his statement seems pretty spot on, sadly..