PDA

View Full Version : Teclis in 8th - Did anyone notice this....

Quannum
15-07-2010, 07:03
So as an avid HE player, I am now very impressed by what Teclis brings to the Magic phase. We've all covered the obvious, but one little thing seems to have gone unnoticed.

The new 8th rules state that Wizards must select their Lore when building an army list - no longer can we pick just before the battle starts like in 7th. That's fine and clear. And better IMO.

Teclis however, who has obviously undergone a detailed and meticulous revision, hasn't had the last part of his High Loremaster rule revised. It clearly states that "Teclis may choose from any Lore BEFORE THE BATTLE STARTS and knows all spells from that Lore".

AWESOME!

The FAQ calls for no revisions there even though they obviously went over his rules with a fine tooth comb. I think it's a nice way of indicating how adaptable and prolific an Archmage he is.

Q

HeroFox
15-07-2010, 07:11
I noticed this 10 seconds after the FAQ, how is this a rules question?

RanaldLoec
15-07-2010, 07:27
Before the battle starts so before any terrain is selected and before you deploy. Before the battle starts, I know what your getting at being able to see your opponents army then select your lore.

I'd say its a thin interpretation of a sentance taken out of context, teclis is awesome in 8th ed he doesn't need any extra boosts.

The sentance is just not specific before the battle starts, now if it read after deployment cool pick your lores. The way I see it the battle starts at terrain selection.

This of course is only my interpretation of the rule, if your opponent doesn't agree I could see this being decided by the role of a dice.

Dokushin
15-07-2010, 08:07
...come on, now.

When exactly is "before the battle starts", since you're trying to build an exemption of the rules from it?

The Slann Mage-Priest similar ability says to choose a lore "instead of choosing spells normally". As spells are chosen during setup, does that mean that when the other player is "choosing spells normally" I'm choosing a lore?

T10
15-07-2010, 08:22
Meh. All wizards select their lores before the battle starts.

They don't do it immediately before the battle starts, but then again, neither does Teclis.

-T10