PDA

View Full Version : 2,500 points of Empire

Templar47
15-07-2010, 08:45
Well as my store is preparing for the escalation league, today I was challenged by some snotty little kid who who has just started playing Orc's to a battle this Friday to try out 8th edition. So after looking over my army, I wrote a a list and this is my first attempt so tell me what you guys think and I don't have the 8th edition rulebook yet so if you guys have any advice plz let me know.

*General:
-w/Griffon Mount, Full Plate Armor, Enchanted Shield, Lance, Pistol, Laurels of Victory

*BSB:
-w/AOMI, Sword of Might

*Wizard #1: (Lore of Fire)
-w/lvl. 2, dispel scroll

*Wizard: #2: (either Lore of Life or Lore of Metal)
-w/lvl. 2, rod of power

Warrior Priest:
-w/HW, Hvy. Armor, Shield

*Engineer:
-w/HW

*(30x) Spearmen: (5x6 formation, w/Wizard #2)
-w/Full Command
-Detachment of 15x Swordsmen
-Detachment of 10x Handgunners

*(30x) Spearmen: (5x6 formation, w/Wizard #1)
-w/Full Command
-Detachment of 10x Handgunners

*(35x) Halberds: (7x5 formation, w/Warrior Priest)
-w/Full Command

*(10x) Crossbows

*(19x) Teutogen Guard (aka GS, w/BSB)

*Great Cannon:

*Great Cannon:

*Hellstorm Rocket Battery:

Total: 2,473 points

Now as you can see, I have some points left over so if anyone has any advice on what to use them for I'd appreciate the help

thesheriff
15-07-2010, 09:22
I thought the cap on detachments was 10-strong, might need to check that. This makes combat detatchments for breaking ranks not that good. A canny player will harm the detachments to stop them negating the ranks, then soften up the big unit. swap the swordsmen for handgunners for as much supporting fire shots as possible. 20 shots, then the massive unit of spearmen will be more than enough to deal with most combat units.

With that, and the left over points, maybe a mortar would be recomended for a large template with a bit more accuracy than a hellstrom.

but, nice list, good idea.

thesheriff

Lord Solar Plexus
15-07-2010, 10:52
Well, he's got the Engineer to babysit the Rocket Batteries, so he can re-roll one of the dice.

Looks pretty. I think you are only allowed one scroll of any kind. I suggest to swap it out for the Rod - you will have an additional DD from the WP which might allow you to carry it over or vice versa.

Other than that, a potion of strength or ini or some such seems like a good idea. You also have a General, so why not take a Banner on one unit? The flaming one is nice, but there are others.

SonofUltramar
15-07-2010, 11:10
As LSP said you cannot take duplicate scrolls of any kind so I'd drop that in favour of Grey Wand. I'd also look at giving one of your state troop units a magic banner, if you're happy using common items from the rulebook I'd add the Standard of Discipline to the Greatswords, +1 leadership for 3x the cost of a Spearman.

Walls
15-07-2010, 14:20
I thought the cap on detachments was 10-strong, might need to check that. This makes combat detatchments for breaking ranks not that good. A canny player will harm the detachments to stop them negating the ranks, then soften up the big unit. swap the swordsmen for handgunners for as much supporting fire shots as possible. 20 shots, then the massive unit of spearmen will be more than enough to deal with most combat units.

With that, and the left over points, maybe a mortar would be recomended for a large template with a bit more accuracy than a hellstrom.

but, nice list, good idea.

thesheriff

Cap is half the size of the parent unit. You can easily run 15 or 20 man detachments. Besides you get the flank bonus for CR, never a bad thing!

Templar47
15-07-2010, 17:53
Thnx for the help so far. I'll switch out one of the dispel scrolls for the Rod of Power on one of my wizards then, but as for the new banners, the one I was thinking about was the one that gives me armor piercing or something like that and put it with my Halberd unit. Do you know what banner I'm talking about?

Damocles8
16-07-2010, 01:33
add 5 more halberdiers and run it in horde.

If you run a magic standard you can't have your magic items. But if you go that route I would suggest squeezing 5 more points in and using the Wailing Standard....

thesheriff
16-07-2010, 09:02
yeah, a 10x4 halberdier unit will do alot more damage and be alot more intimidating

Templar47
18-07-2010, 06:07
I do plan to make my Halberd unit a horde unit sometime in the future, but I wanted to try out the 7x5 formation to see what it could do. I still will have 15x Attacks in the first round of combat, and with hatred, that should help out quite a bit, plus I will also have 5x ranks, which sounds pretty good to me. However, the game was move to Sunday because he couldn't make it, and after going through what models I have, I came up with a 2nd list so tell me what you guys think of it.

*General:
-w/Full Plate Armor, Shield, Sword of Sigismund, White Cloak, Barded Warhorse

Will usually strike first thanks to the Sword of Sigismund at S5, and has a 1+ armor save and a 5+ ward save. Goes with the knights.

*BSB:
-w/GW, Armor of Meteoric Iron

Has a 1+ save, and will be in the middle of the battle line for any panic/fear test I have to make. Will also help beef up the Halberd unit in CC.

*Wizard #1: (Lore of Fire)
-w/lvl. 2, Wizards Staff

Pretty standard offensive wizard, will be firing fire balls at people and with the wizards staff, has an extra dice when casting his spells.

*Wizard: #2: (either Lore of Life or Lore of Metal)
-w/lvl. 2, rod of power

My defensive wizard, will have the Rod of Power, which of course will help him store dice to use whenever, and I'm still debating on whichever lore to use for him.

Warrior Priest:
-w/Hw, Hvy. Armor, Shield, Barded Warhorse

Cheap, but effective, goes with the knights to give them them hatred and to help out in CC. Might give him magic items but I need to look at the rulebook first.

*Engineer:
-w/HW, Light Armor

Standard setup, will be there to help out my Hellstorm Rocket Battery and mortars during the shooting phase.

*(30x) Spearmen: (5x6 formation)
-w/Full Command

*(30x) Spearmen: (5x6 formation)
-w/Full Command

Standard State Troop Regiments, with one of the units on each flank of the Halberd unit to give them support, with the detachments doing what they do best.

*(34x) Halberds: (w/BSB)
-w/Full Command

Will be run in a 7x5 formation for now to try it out and see what it can do, but will probably become a horde unit of 40x total in the future. Will be given a magic banner but again, have to look at the rulebook to see what banners they have to offer.

*(12x) Crossbows/Handgunners (w/Wizard #1)

*(12x) Crossbows/Handgunners (w/Wizard #2)

Standard shooting units that are also my mage bunkers, still debating on to use either crossbows for the range or handgunners for the armor piercing shots. Suggestions or opinions?

*(10x) I.C. Knights of the Blazing Sun: (w/Warrior Priest, General)
-w/Full Command

My heavy unit. Will be really effective on the charge, especially with the General adding his attacks and the Warrior Priest's hatred to re-roll them in the first round.

*Great Cannon:

*Great Cannon:

*Mortar:

*Mortar:

Standard artillery. Great Cannons will focus on the nasty stuff (chariots, giants, dragons, treeman, war-machines, etc.), while both Mortars and the Hellstorm Rocket Battery will concentrate on any big blocks of infantry (clan rats, gobos, chaos marauders/warriors, etc), with the engineer helping them out in any re-rolls needed.

Total: 2,437 points

Pretty much all I did was just switched out the Griffon and the Great Swords for the Knights, which will be run in a 6x2 formation w/the General and the Warrior Priest, and with the remaining 65points, I'm planning on using it for a banner of some sort for the Halberd unit or maybe to give some magic items to my warrior priest but I don't know yet because I don't have the rulebook. Any suggestions?

LanceSaba
18-07-2010, 09:01
go here http://www.ulthuan.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32236 for all your magic item needs =) half way down the page they rewrote the names in english.

Dark_Knight
19-07-2010, 06:06
Empire handgunners/crossbowmen are not mage bunkers. Just wait until a nasty scout unit or longbow unit panics your mage and unit off the board. Oh, and elves are usually the ones wielding the longbows and in the scout units so..... they don't miss often on T3 smelly humans.

thesheriff
19-07-2010, 11:28
Always handgunners, the -2 to armour is always nice, even if crossbows are longer range. I would probably put the mages in the spearmen units, so they don't get killed as quickly, but the handgunner units would work equally well