PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Chaplain?

Petay1985
15-07-2010, 09:00
I am looking for information on the rough process in which a Marine becomes a Chaplain? Is a Marine picked from the ranks to be trained up as Chaplain if they display the right qualities? or something else?

Any thoughts or info is welcome, any sources would be great.

Corax
15-07-2010, 11:21
Hasn't there been an IA article on Chaplains? I assume it talks about that in there somewhere.

Speaking purely off the top of my head, the types of marines that become chaplains seem to be those that are particularly zealous about the chapter's beliefs and traditions (and are exceptional fighters to boot).

There's a brief mention in Helsreach about how Grimaldus came to be selected for Reclusium duty.

hateful
15-07-2010, 12:19
the guy from the dark angels H/H books got choosen as he refused to lose hope and give up dispite the huge ammount of orks they faced and he kept the moral high and kicked **** to boot

Petay1985
15-07-2010, 12:45
thanks folks, it would seem that my suspicions are confirmed in that Marines who show certain qualities, namely; devotion and zeal to the chapter cult and dedication in thier duties could be selected for induction into the Chaplaincy.
And presumably, using Helsreach as my reference here, shadow a Chaplain in thier dutuies before formally becoming one themselves.

Corax
15-07-2010, 14:46
I guess they become a Reclusiam novice and are apprenticed to a serving Chaplain, who teaches them the ins-and-out of the chapters history and liturgy, etc. (but I have no factual basis for any of this other than Helsreach).

This (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Chaplain) might help a bit.

Farseer Dave
15-07-2010, 14:53
I am looking for information on the rough process in which a Marine becomes a Chaplain? Is a Marine picked from the ranks to be trained up as Chaplain if they display the right qualities? or something else?

Any thoughts or info is welcome, any sources would be great.

Marines that show alot of pious traits , who posses a strong faith in the glory of the emperor and the primarch and who generally inspire their brothers around them would make prime candidates to become chaplains.

Farseer Dave.

Petay1985
15-07-2010, 15:25
@ Corax; this is indeed my thinking. The Lexicanum article doesn't really shed any light on the matter, it was my first port of call.

@ Farseer Dave; seems Corax, yourself and i are all on the same wavelength. People agreeing, it must be a warseer first, lol.

Thanks for the input folks!

Another question then, on a similar topic: Chaplain ranks; 1.Master of Santity, 2.Recluisarch and 3.Chaplain.

Is chaplain a seperate rank (i know they are all chaplains), and if so i assume its the chaplains attached each company. thus the Reclusiarchs opperate independantly (not attached to companies) and then Master of Sanctity would be the head chaplain, opperating in much the same way as the Reclusiarchs.

I ask as i have heard the view that the 'regular' chaplains are reclusiarch, but that wouldn't tie in with helsreach as Grimaldus is a chaplain and promoted to Reclusiarch. I personally think and have interpreted that there are the 3 ranks.

Thoughts?

Lord Zarkov
15-07-2010, 15:51
I ask as i have heard the view that the 'regular' chaplains are reclusiarch, but that wouldn't tie in with helsreach as Grimaldus is a chaplain and promoted to Reclusiarch. I personally think and have interpreted that there are the 3 ranks.

Thoughts?
Codex Blood Angels shows they're not the same, since it has two completely different entries for the two

Lothlanathorian
15-07-2010, 18:57
Reclusiarch is the term used for either the highest Chaplain rank or just a high ranking Chaplain. Much like Librarians have Codiciers, Epistolaries and there was a third rank, but I forget what it is. Then, there is the Chief Librarian who is the highest rank and head of the Librarius.

Lord Zarkov
15-07-2010, 19:17
Much like Librarians have Codiciers, Epistolaries and there was a third rank, but I forget what it is. Then, there is the Chief Librarian who is the highest rank and head of the Librarius.
Lexicanum < Codicier < Epistolary < Chief Librarian

You can even tell which is which on the models due to the size of the psychic hood

Lothlanathorian
15-07-2010, 19:27
Lexicanum, that was it! Thank you muchly. And, in 2nd Edition, the goat-horned skull symbols that were the badge of the Librarians were also different based upon rank, iirc.

Petay1985
15-07-2010, 19:54
so its as i suspected and had always presumed; Head Chaplain is the Master of Sanctity, high ranking chaplains (presuambly not attached to companies) hold the rank of Reclusiarch and the 'regular' (if you pardon the expression) chaplains are just that, chaplains.

Thanks for your input folks.

FabricatorGeneralMike
15-07-2010, 23:33
WH 40,000 Compendium;

Chaplians are drawn from the ranks, altho only marines who have earned both merit and devout badges are considered for a Chaplaincy. These awards may be displayed as actual badges, or for example as diagonal stripes painted across the right shoulder pad.

As a first step, a marine is singled out to aid the Chaplain in his company as a Novice ( or Initiate the terms are almost interchangable). Duties often involve little more than helping out during company rituals, but deep study of the liturgies under a Chaplians personal tuition is also necessary.

Should a Chapliancy fall vacant, the most advanced and promising of the Initiates is sent to the Solitarium. This small cell is situated in a secluded part of the monastery and here the Initiate meditates and fasts for a time. He may be left there for up to a week, while in investiture by the Reclusiarch and the Master of Sanctity is prepared. Then, in front of the whole Chapter, he is formally given his symbles of office and presented to the company who are now under his personal spiritial guidance. At this point the new Chaplain takes the name of his predecessor.

When a Chaplain is killed in battle formal ceremony often has to wait. The senior Initiate immediatly takes the helmet and shoulder pads of the Chaplian and dons them. From the moment he puts on the old Chaplians war-gear he has full authority as one of the Chapter's spiritural leaders. He is formally invested as a new chaplian only when the battle is won and the dead are absolved.

Hope that helps some =o]